Need we arm Canada?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
After what I'd seen in the news coming out of Toronto last week, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we need to arm all Canadians.

For starters, gradually introduce universal and compulsory martial arts classes in school for 9 years starting at the age of five. I don't care if it's a simplified form of tai chi chuan, as long as it's some form of martial art.

Secondly, any law-abiding citizen who wants to own a firearm should be allowed to do so as long as he first passes a firearms test.

If we did this, I can guarantee the Black Bloc would think twice before endangering the public like they did last week.

I'm normally not for universal possession of firearms. But when Canadians' lack of respect for the law reaches a point where even the police can no longer maintain law and order, then citizens do need to arm themselves.

That said, Harper was still an idiot for having chosen Toronto as the venue for the G8/G20. What was wrong with CFB Esquimalt?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
CFB Esquimalt would have been a great place. However - I'm sure the PM wanted to hold such a meeting at least in the province of our capital city rather than on the outskirts of BC's capital city - Victoria. I cannot agree that anyone in Canada should start packing a gun. If we start arming 5 yr. olds with martial arts, even they might start killing each other. If not at age 5 at least by age 15.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
CFB Esquimalt would have been a great place. However - I'm sure the PM wanted to hold such a meeting at least in the province of our capital city rather than on the outskirts of BC's capital city - Victoria. I cannot agree that anyone in Canada should start packing a gun. If we start arming 5 yr. olds with martial arts, even they might start killing each other. If not at age 5 at least by age 15.

Yup....don't ya just love the solutions from the simple minded? More violence to combat isolated violence. That way we can escalate the violence from isolated.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For starters, gradually introduce universal and compulsory martial arts classes in school for 9 years starting at the age of five. I don't care if it's a simplified form of tai chi chuan, as long as it's some form of martial art.

Dust off Hal & Joanne!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
After what I'd seen in the news coming out of Toronto last week, I'm starting to wonder if perhaps we need to arm all Canadians.

Secondly, any law-abiding citizen who wants to own a firearm should be allowed to do so as long as he first passes a firearms test.

If we did this, I can guarantee the Black Bloc would think twice before endangering the public like they did last week.

I'm normally not for universal possession of firearms. But when Canadians' lack of respect for the law reaches a point where even the police can no longer maintain law and order, then citizens do need to arm themselves.
WOOT! Vigilantism. Awesome! Wait'll I see those goddam jaywalkers in town again. They'll all be walking with limps.

That said, Harper was still an idiot for having chosen Toronto as the venue for the G8/G20. What was wrong with CFB Esquimalt?
Maybe it has something to do with being some 5000 km away? Borden, Petawawa, or Kingston would have been a little more appropriate.

Dust off Hal & Joanne!
huh?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Oh great. That is exactly what Canada needs, battles in the streets between two bands of armed idiots.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh great. That is exactly what Canada needs, battles in the streets between two bands of armed idiots.
It would make for entertaining TV. I'd be more concerned with protecting myself from the police, since the Black Bloc were police and the uniformed police were just as violent in dealing with peaceful protesters.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
WOOT! Vigilantism. Awesome! Wait'll I see those goddam jaywalkers in town again. They'll all be walking with limps.
In Regina if you are 18 and really cute the cops will hold the door open for you as you dash into the mall says my daughter.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
In Regina if you are 18 and really cute the cops will hold the door open for you as you dash into the mall says my daughter.
At least they didn't threaten to gang rape her like the cops did to that female reporter they manhandled in Toronto a few days ago.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

Ummm... don't know where you've been, but we already have that sort of thing brought to by folks who are already banned from owning firearms. Banning or limiting law abiding citizens from owning of carrying the things works well don't it :roll:?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Yup....don't ya just love the solutions from the simple minded? More violence to combat isolated violence. That way we can escalate the violence from isolated.

It's not the "anarchists" you need to be afraid of when there are thousands of cops with guns protecting scum politicians... yup, that's a good deal, and I thought they existed to protect "us".

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
All I can say is welcome to the real world. That G8/G/20 should be held in a fortified place, if held at all. ho ever hosts it can expect trouble. Harper made no mistake, he just did what every other state leader has done for years.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I see some are opposed to the whole issue of firearms. Then let's at least train people to defend themselves. And no, if taught properly with discipline, I don't believe children will go out and fight for fun. In fact many children are learning martial arts at an early age already. If five is too young, then how about starting at the age of 8 for a sic year course. Still better than nothing. I'd hope it would give people at least a little more courage to stand up to these thugs.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta

are you nuts?

we don't need no Firearms constitution law.

We are NOT the USA and I will never want to be like the USA ever.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Sheesh, Machjo, how in hell does a small riot in TO equate to arming all Canadians?????? I highly doubt I will see the Black Bloc in my neck of the woods.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Or alternatively, change the law to give the police the right to shoot to maim if the following conditions are met:

1. The person is concealing his identity,

2. He has thrown a projectile with intent to do harm to a person or property,

3. He is being protected from being arrested by others,

4. He is showing no sings of voluntarily surrenderng to police, and

5. All of this is on tape.

If all of these five conditions are met, the police should be allowed to shoot to maim that individual. yes, with real bullets. After a few end p with bullets in the legs, others might smarten up.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Or alternatively, change the law to give the police the right to shoot to maim if the following conditions are met:

1. The person is concealing his identity,

2. He has thrown a projectile with intent to do harm to a person or property,

3. He is being protected from being arrested by others,

4. He is showing no sings of voluntarily surrenderng to police, and

5. All of this is on tape.

If all of these five conditions are met, the police should be allowed to shoot to maim that individual. yes, with real bullets. After a few end p with bullets in the legs, others might smarten up.

You never shoot to maim, if you decide you have to use deadly force, by all means do it. It will be your live at stake if you miss. By the way, if a policeperson waits till all the requirements you quoted are met, either the perpetuator will be long gone or the cop will be dead.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
You never shoot to maim, if you decide you have to use deadly force, by all means do it. It will be your live at stake if you miss. By the way, if a policeperson waits till all the requirements you quoted are met, either the perpetuator will be long gone or the cop will be dead.

That's a non-issue. Police in Canada, nay any citizen, are already allowed to use lethal force if necessary to defend themselves of others from bodily harm. What i'm talking about is rioters with rocks and crowbars, but in a pack, and an armed line of police with a cameraman standing behind them, and with the rioters still at some distance from the police and not posingany threat to police or bystanders, but posing a threat to property.

What ends up happening is that the rioters know the law and so push the boundaries knowing that the police will be legally powerless to stop them as long as they don't threaten persons.

Under current circumstances, to the best of my knowledge, as long as the police themselves and no citizen's personal body is in danger, the police have no right to use the force necessary to protect public order. What I'm proposing above would remedy that whereby even if no person is in physical danger, the police would be allowed to use such force o protect property.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I see some are opposed to the whole issue of firearms. Then let's at least train people to defend themselves. And no, if taught properly with discipline, I don't believe children will go out and fight for fun. In fact many children are learning martial arts at an early age already. If five is too young, then how about starting at the age of 8 for a sic year course. Still better than nothing. I'd hope it would give people at least a little more courage to stand up to these thugs.
All martial arts teach self defense. They very strongly teach avoidance of attack unless attacked. It is part of the discipline. I think all kids should be taught martial arts then there would be a lot less violence, kinda like the nuclear deterrent. I also think all adults should be armed to protect themselves and taught the same non-violence discipline as martial arts students.