Do Not Call list ignored by politicians

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Jack Layton has a spam phone call going out to BCers about the BC HST. It isn't that I disagree with his message, I take offense that he ignores the Do Not Call registry to take cheap political shots.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I realize that, but a federal MP from the east spamming BC telephones for a local provincial issue is against the spirit and purpose of the registry rules.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Doesn't matter to me. I can hang up on Laymton just as fast as some telemarketer.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Press 3

I realize that, but a federal MP from the east spamming BC telephones for a local provincial issue is against the spirit and purpose of the registry rules.
Yeah, just what is it with those crazy federal party leaders polluting the west trying to do nationwide politicing?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Today there is more news regarding the Do Not Call List:

OTTAWA - Figures released by the federal government suggest it is failing to enforce the national do-not-call list, despite the fact more than 300,000 complaints have been filed against unwanted telemarketers.
Responding to a query by Liberal Senator Percy Downe, the government reports it has imposed $73,000 in fines but has only collected $250 as of March 1.
Launched in September 2008, the National Do Not Call List is a free service that is supposed to restrict the number of unwanted telemarketing calls and faxes people receive.
Telemarketers are barred from dialling a number once it is on the list, and are supposed face stiff fines if they do — up to $1,500 for individual telemarketers and $15,000 for companies if a registered household files a complaint.
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, which administers the program, projected in 2008 that 60 per cent of the 27 million residential telephone numbers in Canada would be registered on the list within two years.
Numbers can be registered atwww.dncl.gc.caor by telephone at 1-866-580-3625.
"It is clear that the do-not-call list is a great idea but under this government it has been totally useless for many Canadians," said Downe.
"It is time to start enforcing the rules, collect the fines and put a stop once and for all to these unwanted telephone calls."

OTTAWA - Figures released by the federal government suggest it is failing to enforce the national do-not-call list, despite the fact more than 300,000 complaints have been filed against unwanted telemarketers.
Responding to a query by Liberal Senator Percy Downe, the government reports it has imposed $73,000 in fines but has only collected $250 as of March 1.
Launched in September 2008, the National Do Not Call List is a free service that is supposed to restrict the number of unwanted telemarketing calls and faxes people receive.
Telemarketers are barred from dialling a number once it is on the list, and are supposed face stiff fines if they do — up to $1,500 for individual telemarketers and $15,000 for companies if a registered household files a complaint.
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission, which administers the program, projected in 2008 that 60 per cent of the 27 million residential telephone numbers in Canada would be registered on the list within two years.
Numbers can be registered atwww.dncl.gc.caor by telephone at 1-866-580-3625.
"It is clear that the do-not-call list is a great idea but under this government it has been totally useless for many Canadians," said Downe.
"It is time to start enforcing the rules, collect the fines and put a stop once and for all to these unwanted telephone calls."

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009