Green Party: Good for Canada?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As we approach the autumn months, with some Ottawa observers speculating that the next general election may be just over the horizon, Ms. Elizabeth May O.C., the Leader of the Green Party, is campaigning hard to win support for her party. Ms. May’s work is particularly interesting now, given that recent reports by EKOS Research indicates that the Green Party would probably gain its first two seats in the House of Commons were a vote held today.

Ms. May had to fight hard to be included in last the last election’s televised leaders debates, and she has the most difficult time getting her message across (as she is the only major federal player without any parliamentary representation). The Green Party may be inspired to push forward, given the recent election across the pond of the United Kingdom’s first Green Party member to the House of Commons.

In the next general election, the Leader of the Green Party will be going head-to-head with The Honourable Gary Lunn P.C., M.P. (Saanich—Gulf Islands), the Minister of State (Sport). The minister has held that electoral district as a member of Parliament for over thirteen years. The minister won the last election with a margin of over two thousand votes; the Green Party came in third place (ahead of the New Democratic Party) with nearly seven thousand.

Do you think that it would benefit Canada to have Green Party representation in Parliament?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As we approach the autumn months, with some Ottawa observers speculating that the next general election may be just over the horizon, Ms. Elizabeth May O.C., the Leader of the Green Party, is campaigning hard to win support for her party. Ms. May’s work is particularly interesting now, given that recent reports by EKOS Research indicates that the Green Party would probably gain its first two seats in the House of Commons were a vote held today.

Ms. May had to fight hard to be included in last the last election’s televised leaders debates, and she has the most difficult time getting her message across (as she is the only major federal player without any parliamentary representation). The Green Party may be inspired to push forward, given the recent election across the pond of the United Kingdom’s first Green Party member to the House of Commons.

In the next general election, the Leader of the Green Party will be going head-to-head with The Honourable Gary Lunn P.C., M.P. (Saanich—Gulf Islands), the Minister of State (Sport). The minister has held that electoral district as a member of Parliament for over thirteen years. The minister won the last election with a margin of over two thousand votes; the Green Party came in third place (ahead of the New Democratic Party) with nearly seven thousand.

Do you think that it would benefit Canada to have Green Party representation in Parliament?

Last federal election, the Green Party candidate seemed like the best one among the four in that riding; The CPC candidate the worst. None of this has to do with the party per se though. If that CPC candidate were a member of the Green party and that Green Party candidate were a member of the CPC, I'd then have preferred the CPC candidate. So to answer your question, the party affiliation of the candidates in Parliament is secondary to the candidates themselves.

Another point. As for Elizabeth May, I'm not particularly impressed by her overall, but again, if I vote for a member of her party, I'm voting for that person an not his leader.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Could they really do any worse than the clowns we have in there now. I would like them to have enough seats to have an influence on policies. With Harpy, the environment has about as much protection as it did in the US under Bush - none. If we don't take care of our life support system, where are we going to live when it crashes? Although the Greens have moved closer to the center to garner votes, they are still the sanest bunch of politicians around. Oh I know most people think the economy will suffer under the Greens, but it will suffer a lot more if we continue down this path of self destruction we are on now. If we learn anything from the Gulf disaster, it is that we cannot maintain this carbon based economy. It is just plain suicidal.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Could they really do any worse than the clowns we have in there now. I would like them to have enough seats to have an influence on policies. With Harpy, the environment has about as much protection as it did in the US under Bush - none. If we don't take care of our life support system, where are we going to live when it crashes? Although the Greens have moved closer to the center to garner votes, they are still the sanest bunch of politicians around. Oh I know most people think the economy will suffer under the Greens, but it will suffer a lot more if we continue down this path of self destruction we are on now. If we learn anything from the Gulf disaster, it is that we cannot maintain this carbon based economy. It is just plain suicidal.

First off, as far as official policy goes, the NDP is greener than the greens. Then again, maybe that's what you were referring to when you said the greens are more moderate and saner. However, I would not be so quick to assume tht every green candidate is moderate and sane. The one in my riding was, but it would still be wise to know the local candidate to be sure. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few crazy ones out there.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Sure, why not. I can remember when we had the Social Credit party, with a few seats. The more the merrier, if they can win support in a riding. Personally, I think May's decision to run against Peter Mackay shows that she is not serious about sitting in the House. There is absolutely no way she could have beaten him in that riding, if she was interested in actually winning, she could have run somewhere that she had a chance.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
A person with a good education could see that having a diversity of opinions and thoughts is a good thing, even if some of them are misguided. Only a complete fool would argue that a diversity of opinion is a bad thing.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
A person with a good education could see that having a diversity of opinions and thoughts is a good thing, even if some of them are misguided. Only a complete fool would argue that a diversity of opinion is a bad thing.

Diversity of opinions is one thing. Letting lunatics loose is an entirely different story. Ellimay is a one issue candidate with zero interest in keeping the economy running. As are many of the greenies in Canada. They are more of a protest vote than anything since the demise of the Rhino party.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Diversity of opinions is one thing. Letting lunatics loose is an entirely different story. Ellimay is a one issue candidate with zero interest in keeping the economy running. As are many of the greenies in Canada. They are more of a protest vote than anything since the demise of the Rhino party.
And what was wrong with the Rhino Party? And do you think Gordo and his gang of miscreants are sane? You obviously have not read the Green platform. It addresses the economy and social issues. It is a complete platform. Not saying it is any better than the rest, but I think your opinion of the Greens is stuck in the 80's.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location

And it's not like they ever have a serious chance of being in power, so what's the problem?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
And it's not like they ever have a serious chance of being in power, so what's the problem?

A party need not obtain power in order to make its mark. All it has to do is frighten the major parties enough to get many of its policies implemented. That was certainly the case with the CCF-NDP which was arguably the most influential Canadian party of the 20th Century.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And what was wrong with the Rhino Party? And do you think Gordo and his gang of miscreants are sane? You obviously have not read the Green platform. It addresses the economy and social issues. It is a complete platform. Not saying it is any better than the rest, but I think your opinion of the Greens is stuck in the 80's.

Like I said, in my particular riding last federal election, the Green Party member was the one with the most grey matter in the bunch, but I still would not recommend the Green Party as a party and while I'd certainly have recommended the Green Party candidate for my riding last election, I can't say the same for the next election (I'll have to see who the candidate is) nor for another riding (as it will depend again on who the candidate is).

The Green Party is not good for anybody.

The party, maybe not. But it has had at least one good candidate running in my riding last election. Will you pass by a good candidate just because you have prejudices against his party and vote for a total maroon because you like the pretty party colours he's wearing?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If the Green party was serious about their future they should dump Ms May as leader or if Ms May cared about the future of the party then she should resign.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Last federal election, the Liberal and CPC candidates were pure party hacks. The Green Party candidate suffered from party loyalty to some degree too, but was still not afraid to express his own personal views none the less. He was also more open-minded, willing to consider various ideas and points of view, think outside the box, etc. All the CPC candidate was good for was cheering on Harper (who's not even in my riding), and the Liberal Candidate had to turn to the party policy guide before answering any question! So YJ, would you propose I vote for such idiots?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If the Green party was serious about their future they should dump Ms May as leader or if Ms May cared about the future of the party then she should resign.

Is may in your riding? If not, then why do you care so much about her? Look at it this way. If the only Green Party andidates to make it to the House are those with critical minds, and you think May does not have one (honestly, I don't know her as well as I did my local Green candidate), then I'd have to assume maybe she wouldn't win a seat and so the party leader would change anyway. So what's the issue? Will you vote in a total maroon from another party over an intelligent Green Party member because you don't like the party leader?

Oh voters today! No wonder we have so many maroons in Parliament. It's the voters I tells ya.

all the parties and the majority of the people getting elected in the ridings suck.....

Screw you diane marleau

We get what we vote for.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
i hand in blank ballots :D, cause i hate them all equally. people say thats not voting but i think it is, because they count spoiled ballots

I actually did that last federal election. Then looking back on it, I realized I was a little harsh and if I could do it again I'd likely have voted for the Green candidate. In fact, I was busy debating it at the ballot box, though I was already decided among one of those two options, and it was just a matter which. Finally I'd opted for the blank ballot. That's where I could see the open ballot being beneficial to democracy, whereby you could write in the name of any other person in the community. Some well known and well respected community members who would otherwise never run in an election might get a few votes that way.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Is may in your riding? If not, then why do you care so much about her? Look at it this way. If the only Green Party andidates to make it to the House are those with critical minds, and you think May does not have one (honestly, I don't know her as well as I did my local Green candidate), then I'd have to assume maybe she wouldn't win a seat and so the party leader would change anyway. So what's the issue? Will you vote in a total maroon from another party over an intelligent Green Party member because you don't like the party leader?

Oh voters today! No wonder we have so many maroons in Parliament. It's the voters I tells ya.

We get what we vote for.

Ms May decided to take on the the one of the top dogs of the Conservative party Peter MacKay who has represented his riding well and has proven to be a hard worker for the voters of his riding. I call that real stupid for a leader of a political party to do.

She could have run in a green rich riding of a lesser known candidate but she didn't so for this reason she has to go.

The Green party needs a leader and Ms May is not the one.

Once the Green party gets serious about their party then they can move on until that happens they are just stuck in a rut.