Clement Acts as Pitchman; Reported to Ethics Commissioner

Should ministers of the Crown be able to endorse specific companies?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Don't know / Prefer not to respond

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today a new controversy has appeared for Her Majesty’s Government for Canada, with the conduct of The Honourable Tony Clement P.C., M.P. (Parry Sound—Muskoka), the Minister of Industry. Mr. Clement has been found to have appeared in a 2008 promotional video endorsing, as the then-Minister of Health, a company that sells “green” cleaning products, Lord & Partners. The appearance of the minister has been reported to Ms. May Dawson, Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner of Canada for investigation.

Mr. Pierre Poilievre M.P. (Nepean—Carleton), the Parliamentary Secretary to the Prime Minister defended the minister’s appearance in his friend’s video, suggesting that ministers have the right to endorse specific companies to promote industrial development. On the surface, this seems to be a case of Mr. Clement using his position as a minister to give his friend undue advantage over his opponents in the industry.

So, let’s discuss: Should ministers of the Crown be able to endorse specific companies?

Watch the story here.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Of course not....... and the parliamentary secretary is a frickin moron for sugesting otherwise.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Yes as long as the company is located in the riding the MP represents.

I would expect my MP to represent my interests.

An MP is responsible to his or her riding first doesn't matter if that person is a minister or not.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So it’s okay if a minister, then, chooses to lend his support as a Commons member to one company, but refuses to endorse another?