NL Halts Chevron Drilling

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No doubt due to the debacle of the oil leak in the Gulf Of Mexico the government of Newfoundland has halted Chevron's plans to begin drilling until the company shows that it has a workable plan for dealing with a situation similar to that in the gulf.

Newfoundland halts Chevron drilling

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Prudent and very appropriate. Let us hope we hear more stories like this about oil companies being made to tow the environmental line - far past time that they do so.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm sure BP had a workable plan.

Earlier in the week I read an article that said BP had blow out preventers but didn't use them, or the BOPs didn't fit , or didn't work or something.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
This is a bad joke.

Why didn't the Newfoundland gov't insist on a workable plan to prevent, contain and clean up any spills at the project's inception?

Why are they insisting on inspecting things like BOPs now rather than when they started drilling and periodically ever since?

Why are they only citing this one field operated by Chevron? Does this mean they need to step up their inspections of other companies' offshore facilities? Its not like Chevron is any worse than the rest of the energy giants. Standards should apply to ALL companies and projects.

I know from my history working for energy companies in Alberta, that these guys all try to follow the same blueprint. They're all about "risk assessment" (which is playing the odds as they calculate them) and willing to take shortcuts unless the regulating bodies hold their feet to the fire. People in other provinces tend to look down their noses at Alberta's energy industry (rightfully so in some cases) but the NFLD gov't showed a lot of incompetence by needing to upgrade their safety and environmental standards in this manner, in an environment that is higher risk.