Harper soars on strength of economy

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
In the polling business, they say there comes a point where the numbers talk, and the numbers in the new weekly EKOS poll are talking to the Liberals, telling them something isn’t working for them, either the message or the messenger. Or maybe both.
The Conservatives have moved out to a nearly double-digit lead, 34.4% to 25.1% for the Liberals, with the NDP at 15.3% and the Greens at 12%.
That’s more than a boat length between the Tories and the Grits. It’s getting to be open water between them. The regional breakouts are downright scary for the Liberals, who trail the Conservatives in every region of the country and have fallen far behind the Bloc in Quebec.
It isn’t just the West where the Conservatives are in command. According to EKOS, they’ve moved out to a seven-point lead, 38-31, in the Liberal heartland of Ontario. Never mind the Liberals as the Greater Toronto Area party — these numbers would reduce them to just a downtown Toronto party, leaving the suburban belt largely to the Tories. Even in the Atlantic, regarded as unassailably Liberal, the Conservatives lead by five points.
And this after weeks of blistering attacks — enabled by the Hill media — on the Jaffer-Guergis affair, the Afghan detainee paper trail and whether abortion should be part of the overseas maternal health initiative. The Liberals have failed to move public opinion their way. If anything, it is moving the other way.
Again, they need to look at both the message and the messenger.
The voters aren’t buying into these narratives because they don’t care about them and they don’t care about them because these storylines don’t have any effect on their lives.
What does? The economy, stupid. And the economy is working for Stephen Harper. Canada has come out of the recession in better shape than any of our G8 partners, the ones we’ll be hosting in Muskoka next month (and if you think the Friday night drive from Toronto is a nightmare, wait ’til the weekend of the summit).
Canada’s current deficit forecast of $53 billion is only about 3% of GDP, compared to $1.6 trillion or 11% of GDP in the U.S., and $400 billion and a staggering 13% of output in the U.K. Welcome to Downing St., Cameron and Clegg, have a nice day. Our net federal debt of 33% of GDP is again the best story by far in the G7. The strength of the loonie is not only a reflection of its status as a petrocurrency, but Canada’s strong fiscal fundamentals.
As for the Greek disease, fast becoming the euro disease, its impact is apparent in the turmoil in global markets over the last two weeks. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is quite right when he says, “Canada is not an island.”
Even so, our banking system is the strongest in the world. Boring is good, Boring works.
So on the one hand, Harper is winning on competence, one of two core attributes of leadership. The other is trust, which has always been his weak spot.
But Ignatieff is getting pounded on both. As Opposition leader, he has no way of proving his competence to govern, except for the competence of his tour and the coherence of his message.
And then there’s the messenger. That’s a whole other story.

Source

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Our debt is actually growing but we'll call it something else and that makes it all better:roll::roll::roll:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I got as far as "Canada has come out of the recession better than our g8 partners" then I started laughing. You think it's easy to get rid of dead beat partners like that bunch, you're dreaming Avro.

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
So what has herr harper done,wasn't the bank regulation in place long before he took over as PM ?It's not that Canada is doing so good,the rest of the g8 just sucks worse.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
With the US buildup in the Gulf, I'm sure Harper will engage in some job creation of his own there too. You remember 'Row, row, row your boat? Grow grow grow the debt quickly as can be. Inflation inflation inflation inflation will rear its ugly head.

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Sun May 16 2010

Michael Ignatieff’s 25 per cent problem,

But why don’t they get rid of Ignatieff now? Are they afraid of another split? Not at all. Ignatieff is pretty much isolated in the caucus, but there are two reasons for keeping him on: First, they already changed horses in midstream when they dumped Stéphane Dion — and they ended up with Ignatieff. Second, changing the leader before an election would mean placing the party in the hands of Bob Rae, and this doesn’t sit well with many MPs.

So the Liberals are already looking beyond Ignatieff and Rae.

Some say that Martha Hall Findlay will also be around again, while Siobhan Coady, a Member of Parliament from Newfoundland, is also gaining a lot of respect lately among her colleagues. Some Liberals, however, still hope to convince Frank McKenna, who is always the best candidate they will never have, or Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty, who is by far preferred to his brother David.

The present situation is the best for them as long as Harper can find a way to deal effectively with the Liberal mudslinging that threatens to hold him down to another minority government. I assume he has no appetite for another minority and more years of dealing with a dysfunctional Parliament; many in his caucus might feel the same way.
Harper knows by now that doing a good job with the economy and other important issues is not enough to win a majority — Jean Chrétien and Paul Martin were both forced out, respectively by fellow Liberals and by the voters, at a time when the economy was booming. It was the tarnished image of their brand that eventually squeezed them out.

Liberals know that this strategy works, since it worked against them and it seems to be working now. Otherwise, how do you explain that a government that is dealing properly with serious economic problems and facing an official opposition that is in complete disarray is still unable to rise above the mid-30s in the polls?

If Harper finds a way to stabilize and improve the Conservative brand, he will lead a majority government after the next federal election. For now, with Ignatieff leading the opposition, it seems that Harper has enough time to find that balance, provided the Liberal leader doesn’t hit the magic, or tragic, number of 25 per cent. And, considering the latest polls, this may happen sooner than some people think.

The Liberals should first determine the next man to take them back to Government and dump Iggy NOW and start on fresh slate with a solid platform of economics. Should Harper get a majority Canada will get hurt.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
The Conservatives has a high rating because of their anti-abortion and gay policies.

Not enough to get a majority and we all have to remember that the surveys are done with less than 2,000 people

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I wonder how long before Joe Blow catches on that inflation is driving the economy and that we'll be jerking off the dog to feed the cat by paying high taxes on expensive consumer goods?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The numbers might be talking, but I don't see that they are saying anything more than they said in the last election. 34% gets Harper another minority.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wonder how long before Joe Blow catches on that inflation is driving the economy and that we'll be jerking off the dog to feed the cat by paying high taxes on expensive consumer goods?

Been years since I heard that expression :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The numbers might be talking, but I don't see that they are saying anything more than they said in the last election. 34% gets Harper another minority.

Yep, as long as the N.D.P. gets 33%. :lol::lol::lol: or at least 33 minus what the Green can steal.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Conservatives has a high rating because of their anti-abortion and gay policies.

Not enough to get a majority and we all have to remember that the surveys are done with less than 2,000 people

I'm pro-life and for heterosexual marriage. However, that alone won't make me vote CPC.

I have to say though that when it comes to dealing with recession, I distrusted the CPC less than I did the coalition. But when it comes to how Harper spent prior to the recession, the Liberals had certainly done a less dismal job there.

But then, much CPC anti-recession spending was just make-work jobs and bailouts. But the opposition supported it too. So we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place if we're going to vote party.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm pro-life and for heterosexual marriage. However, that alone won't make me vote CPC.

I have to say though that when it comes to dealing with recession, I distrusted the CPC less than I did the coalition. But when it comes to how Harper spent prior to the recession, the Liberals had certainly done a less dismal job there.

But then, much CPC anti-recession spending was just make-work jobs and bailouts. But the opposition supported it too. So we're really stuck between a rock and a hard place if we're going to vote party.

While my first rule of thumb is to not spend money you don't have, I do believe there are exceptions - case in point the money loaned to G.M. which has apparently been repaid already. :smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
While my first rule of thumb is to not spend money you don't have, I do believe there are exceptions - case in point the money loaned to G.M. which has apparently been repaid already. :smile:

We didn't know that then; it was a gamble, a risk, and that's what the stock market is for. Government investment ought to be more conservative than that.

Had GM fallen, another company would have bought it out or it another industry would have taken its place.
And though GM paid pack the loan, it was a lower interest than we could have gotten for it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We didn't know that then; it was a gamble, a risk, and that's what the stock market is for. Government investment ought to be more conservative than that.

Had GM fallen, another company would have bought it out or it another industry would have taken its place.
And though GM paid pack the loan, it was a lower interest than we could have gotten for it.

I agree but I guess sometimes desperate situations call for desperate measures and perhaps we should give Harper (or more correctly Flaherty) knew something we don't. Even if Harper is suspect as a capable P.M. I think Flaherty has his head screwed on straight.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Even if Harper is suspect as a capable P.M. I think Flaherty has his head screwed on straight.

Maybe. I'm still undecided on that. He did create a budget deficit. But to be fair to him, it's still not entirely in his powers as any budget must get the confidence of the House.So I'm as yet undecided on him, but in the end it's his constituents that must decide. I am quite decided on my MP, Royal Galipeau. He didn't get my vote last time and won't again either. he's just a mindless party hack.

With Harper now opposing any new aboriton laws, what makes him any different than Jack Layton on that point?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I am quite decided on my MP, Royal Galipeau. He didn't get my vote last time and won't again either. he's just a mindless party hack.

?

I don't blame you - a name like that is just a little too ostentatious to get my trust. :lol: