BC Politics - Corruption & Lies

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I read a little about this fiasco today. Sounds like it's going to get very interesting.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Even though I never miss an election, I have no faith in any government to ultimately act ethically. We as Canadians have to realize that there is no point protesting any government actions. You're not going to win!

The HST is here and we're stuck with no real Conservative provincial party. All you can do is store water, food, ammunition and watch and wait for the cracks in society to deepen.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
No one should really be too surprised that a right wing government would deliberately attempt to degrade government assets in order to sell them off. After all the government of Alberta under Ralph Klein carried out such a policy many times and the current BC "Liberals" are the same sort of people. All Campbell had to do was look across the border and copy everything that was carried out in the deKlein of Alberta.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The old Socred party was small town sleaze, the NDPeep were bungling fools, but the Campbell government are major league scum bags. they have sold out this province to the lowest bidder, put the fox in charge of the hen house by gutting the forest ministry of watchdogs, trashed the environment ministry, education and health care. I saw through this crook since day one. Slicker than snot he is and so are all his cohorts. Just goes to show how brain dead the BC electorate are (mostly the lower main land). But his rich friends go richer and that was his only concern since the beginning.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Her Majesty’s Government for British Columbia has been governing this province for nearly a decade, and Canadian history has shown that most governments (whether good or bad) start to experience much more of an incumbent disadvantage with public support when they reach this point in age. The number of controversies recently certainly hasn’t helped this Government’s case either, though despite the controversy, little is likely to change in terms of the implementation of the harmonised sales tax.

Even if the petition passes, the Government has two choices; it could either hold a referendum on the issue of the blended tax, or introduce a bill to repeal the blended tax. If the referendum passes, then the Government would have to introduce a bill to repeal the blended tax. The wording here is absolutely key: The Government would only need to introduce the bill, whether or not that bill passes is entirely up to the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia (and as Government members have an overwhelming majority, the bill would almost certainly be defeated). Any outcome, nonetheless, would be a colossal embarassment for the Government, and would most likely set ablaze any hopes for another term in government.