Canada Loses Colonel in A-Stan

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Col. Geoff Parker, 42, born and raised in Oakville, became the 145th soldier to die since the mission began in 2002 and the seventh this year. He leaves a wife and two young children – and by the accounts of his many peers in Kandahar – a career of limitless potential.

Parker was among at least 18 killed, including five U.S. soldiers, as the blast tore through a main thoroughfare on Kabul’s Western edge.
The apparent target, a convoy of five unmarked SUVs in which Parker and the Americans were riding. But Afghans bore the brunt of the rush-hour attack, which shredded as many as 20 vehicles, killed a dozen civilians and wounding scores more.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
That would kill the economy.
I have lived far below the poverty line for 40 years. They tell me we are in a recession. I didn't notice. I don't think we can put a price on the lives of our children. We need them to clean up the mess we have made of this country.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That would kill the economy.

A military economy is a false economy. It creates jobs by consuming resources. Instead, we could create just as many jobs while developing our resources. Instead of soldiers, why not hire more teachers? Creates just as may jobs while developing the country's human resources rather than having them get killed off.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I have lived far below the poverty line for 40 years. They tell me we are in a recession. I didn't notice. I don't think we can put a price on the lives of our children. We need them to clean up the mess we have made of this country.
You need to set goals in your life, rise to your potential. Life to to short.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
A military economy is a false economy. It creates jobs by consuming resources. Instead, we could create just as many jobs while developing our resources. Instead of soldiers, why not hire more teachers? Creates just as may jobs while developing the country's human resources rather than having them get killed off.
Because taxpayers do not want to fund schools and public projects. Doesn't provide any immediate benefits. Is Canada running on a military economy, I think it is more that your natural resources are the driving force behind your economy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Because taxpayers do not want to fund schools and public projects. Doesn't provide any immediate benefits. Is Canada running on a military economy, I think it is more that your natural resources are the driving force behind your economy.

War consumes resources, but does not produce good or service of economic value. As a result, while it may create jobs, it also puts inflationary pressure, and consequently taxation and interest-rate pressure on the economy. Creating jobs for the sake of creating jobs is a silly end in itself. Any job created by the government ought to aim at investment so as to increase the value of the GDP. Education for example would be such an investment.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

I agree with your sentiment however war has been the human economic engine since before Sumer. We may modify, adjust, refine, legislate, educate and squirm but untill the gold cult is broken, utterly, nothing will change and the blood will run as always, every drop of it enriching the monsters. He who prints the money makes the laws. That has been in force for some five thousand years, probably longer.
The poor colonel like the unnumbered before him has been expended to service some debt that we can not even imagine or remember.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I agree with your sentiment however war has been the human economic engine since before Sumer. We may modify, adjust, refine, legislate, educate and squirm but untill the gold cult is broken, utterly, nothing will change and the blood will run as always, every drop of it enriching the monsters. He who prints the money makes the laws. That has been in force for some five thousand years, probably longer.
The poor colonel like the unnumbered before him has been expended to service some debt that we can not even imagine or remember.

In the US of A that is not the government, hence this explains much.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't understand.

In America the government does not print the money. It is 'The Fed' a private corporation.
Kind of thought you would know that, or are you colour blind and didn't see the red letters, "He who prints the money makes the laws." from the quote?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
In America the government does not print the money. It is 'The Fed' a private corporation.
Kind of thought you would know that, or are you colour blind and didn't see the red letters, "He who prints the money makes the laws." from the quote?

My dichromatism did not contribute to my confusion, this time. I simple didn't get it. It may have been your accent.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I am living my goal. I set out to leave as small a foot print as I could back in the 70s. I have been very successful at it.
The one who just sits in the back of the class hoping he is never picked, That is safe way it go thru life, When you pass someone, do you leave a littl f yoursrlf with that peron?

When you pass will the morn?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
oh my God!!!! Soldiers actually died in a war??????? Who'd a thought?:roll: