Immigration Policy

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I see they got the bastard who attempted to bomb Time Square. Not surprising, he is a foreigner from Asia. In light of that and all the other mischief those guys get into I think North America needs a 10 year moritoriam on all immigration so all these guys can be sorted out and the undesirables put back on the boat. We have enough of our own home grown sh*t disturbers that we sure as hell don't need to import any more.

Arrest made in Times Square bombing attempt

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
1 man makes you want to shut out the many many many responsible, good immigrants?

bailan

Apr 28, 2010
I don't want to be the uncle TOM of this board, but I was waiting for a thread like this.

The following was posted on a predominantly Muslim forum.

The whole Muslim world is full of morons and idiots who have no desire to live like civilized people. I was in Times Square that whole night, now I don't know if I would go again. Does anyone have a figure of how many Muslims work in this general area? I can tell you a lot do just from being in this area frequently.

Look everyone is sick and tired of these buffoons, but Arizona style interpretations of Nazi Era laws isn't going to solve anything.

I think you were afraid to use "Muslim", so instead you used "Asia"

Problem is that a lot of economic growth, birth rate sustainability etc. does come through these very groups. Unless the policy makers take a definitive steps to go the way of Japan on foreign immigration, it will only create a sense of ethnic victimization.

I, as a Pakistani Born, Canadian Citizen want this guy to be handed some serious justice, well ideally mob justice, but I guess that isn't handed out these days.

Also, South Park WAS funny.

===================

On an unrelated note, the biggest Benefactors of this would be the Defence contractors (Who's going to install all the new contractors), the NY Mayor, and departments like Home Land Security etc.

The biggest loosers are always the ethnic minorities or more specifically Muslims of every nutcase in the world.

I wonder if at some point it will become appropriate to associate Caucasian nut cases (e.g. Serial Killers)with the White Race?

Last I checked, there was only one Black serial killer.

May be we should add a ban on White Couples from having babies until the whole "Serial Killer" mess is sorted out.

Case in point: Nut cases are every where, deal with them on Case by Case basis and never go easy on them.

Kudos to the US Justice department for giving Afia Siddiqi a deserving sentence.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
1 man makes you want to shut out the many many many responsible, good immigrants?

Ultimately, NO. But we haven't learned to do it right yet, so it's important to get things slowed down until we do and get the bad apples shipped back.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"I think you were afraid to use "Muslim", so instead you used "Asia""

Absolutely not as I don't know what religion the man is. By saying "Asia" that includes Christians, Shintos, Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus, Buddahs and a multitude of others. They are all capable of getting into mischief.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I see they got the bastard who attempted to bomb Time Square. Not surprising, he is a foreigner from Asia. In light of that and all the other mischief those guys get into I think North America needs a 10 year moritoriam on all immigration so all these guys can be sorted out and the undesirables put back on the boat. We have enough of our own home grown sh*t disturbers that we sure as hell don't need to import any more.

Sometimes I feel like this would be a good idea in spite of the snivelling about growth tax base the gov't would do. But then, denying good people from coming into Canada to be our neighbors because of a handful of creeps isn't cool.
And then again our dear CIC has shown itself to be fat, lazy, and inept, too. As far as the States goes, their immigration is their problem, not ours.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Ultimately, NO. But we haven't learned to do it right yet, so it's important to get things slowed down until we do and get the bad apples shipped back.

Really? When you consider how many people immigrate versus how many are problems, I think we do really well. There is no way to measure human beings fully and anticipate issues like this 100%.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
It certainly isn't based on "1".

I don't want to be the uncle TOM of this board, but I was waiting for a thread like this.
Then don't be.

Look everyone is sick and tired of these buffoons, but Arizona style interpretations of Nazi Era laws isn't going to solve anything.
Care to back that up with some fact?

I think you were afraid to use "Muslim", so instead you used "Asia"
Who cares, bar them all.

Problem is that a lot of economic growth, birth rate sustainability etc. does come through these very groups. Unless the policy makers take a definitive steps to go the way of Japan on foreign immigration, it will only create a sense of ethnic victimization.
So what? If we stop immigration and enact some serious taxation reform, North Americans could once again have kids and a nice life to.

I, as a Pakistani Born, Canadian Citizen want this guy to be handed some serious justice, well ideally mob justice, but I guess that isn't handed out these days.
:roll:

Also, South Park WAS funny.
Well at least your not lost.

On an unrelated note, the biggest Benefactors of this would be the Defence contractors (Who's going to install all the new contractors), the NY Mayor, and departments like Home Land Security etc.
:roll:

The biggest loosers are always the ethnic minorities or more specifically Muslims of every nutcase in the world.
Yep, which is why they should be at the forefront of the battle against the nerdowells.

I wonder if at some point it will become appropriate to associate Caucasian nut cases (e.g. Serial Killers)with the White Race?
Islam isn't a race.

Last I checked, there was only one Black serial killer.
And thousands of white Priests, your point?
May be we should add a ban on White Couples from having babies until the whole "Serial Killer" mess is sorted out.
Maybe you should use some commonsense.
Case in point: Nut cases are every where, deal with them on Case by Case basis and never go easy on them.
Words of wisdom, when your community starts, we won't have too.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

"North America" which you seem to mean Canada and the US, have no unified immigration policy. The two countries have their own policies. Although they seem quite similar in spirit-high immigration levels.

It's the US that borders Mexico and gets thousands of Mexicans and Latin Americans flooding there without crossing an ocean. Many US businesses would collapse overnight without these legal-illegals, especially in agriculture.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Geee Another thread about immigration. How very useful. :roll: I guess some people just can't figure out how to use the search function in CanCon.
Watch this; I'll type "immigration" into the search bar and see what pops up that might be relevant. It's such a grueling job, but worthwhile.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
"North America" which you seem to mean Canada and the US, have no unified immigration policy. The two countries have their own policies. Although they seem quite similar in spirit-high immigration levels.

It's the US that borders Mexico and gets thousands of Mexicans and Latin Americans flooding there without crossing an ocean. Many US businesses would collapse overnight without these legal-illegals, especially in agriculture.

Not only USA, but Canadian economy also would collapse without the inflow if immigrants. And Harper is aware of this. He may be a right wing ideologue, but he is not stupid. He has not made any significant reductions to immigration quota and rightly so.

While conservatives in USA are viciously anti-immigration (and in the process, they end up alienating the legal Hispanic voters big time), their policy is more sensible in Canada.

Anti-immigration rhetoric is a knee jerk reaction to acts of terrorism. But anti-immigration policy is not realistic.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
While restricting or banning immigration is totally unrealistic, that doesn’t mean that immigrants cannot be screened in a better way. Netherlands instituted an aptitude test for the immigrants a while ago, and I have always held the opinion that potential immigrants could be asked questions about human rights, minority rights in they citizenship examination.

In addition to questions regarding how our government works, they also could be asked about the rights and privileges guaranteed to us in the Charter. Questions about minority, rights, women’s rights, gay rights etc. could be included. Those with extreme views could be eliminated.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Not only USA, but Canadian economy also would collapse without the inflow if immigrants. And Harper is aware of this. He may be a right wing ideologue, but he is not stupid. He has not made any significant reductions to immigration quota and rightly so.

While conservatives in USA are viciously anti-immigration (and in the process, they end up alienating the legal Hispanic voters big time), their policy is more sensible in Canada.

Anti-immigration rhetoric is a knee jerk reaction to acts of terrorism. But anti-immigration policy is not realistic.

Congratulations on being the first poster to mention Harper. How does that figure?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
First step in an immigration interview should be to determine their command of English. No English, No Entry. When my wife emigrated from Germany about 14 years ago she spoke far better English than many asians that are second generation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
First step in an immigration interview should be to determine their command of English. No English, No Entry. When my wife emigrated from Germany about 14 years ago she spoke far better English than many asians that are second generation.

Exactly right, I lived next door to an obnoxious and arrogant northern European (location somewhere between Denmark and Austria) who immigrated here in the late 40s and when he died about 3 years ago he still couldn't speak fluent English, but he could sure talk about 'the vay things vent in Deutschland". You come here you speak the language you adhere to the custums, you obey the laws, and by rights you should pay a 20% surcharge on all taxes for the first 20 years while we are getting used to putting up with you.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
How many immigration threads does CC have now? I make this at least the fourth. Perhaps they could all be merged into one.

So far as this one is concerned there have been a couple of posts about checking immigrants more closely in order to sort out the "bad apples." However in the case of Faisal Shahzad he would have been almost impossible to spot. He has been in the US since at least 1997 without giving anyone the least hint that he might be up to anything. Short of shutting down immigration of all Muslims to the US I don't know how a change in immigration policy could possibly change anything.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Terrorism like an attempted Times Square bombing really isn't scary enough. Cutting off immigration is drastic.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How many immigration threads does CC have now? I make this at least the fourth. Perhaps they could all be merged into one.

So far as this one is concerned there have been a couple of posts about checking immigrants more closely in order to sort out the "bad apples." However in the case of Faisal Shahzad he would have been almost impossible to spot. He has been in the US since at least 1997 without giving anyone the least hint that he might be up to anything. Short of shutting down immigration of all Muslims to the US I don't know how a change in immigration policy could possibly change anything.

Better screening of immigrants obviously won’t keep all the bad apples out, but it probably will keep many of them out.

Some will be able to get through no matter what we do (and in this respect, a total ban on immigration won’t work either, they will simply get in on a temporary visa, student visa, visitor visa etc.). Then there is the question f second generation immigrants, who are born here and are full citizens. They may well turn to terrorism.

So better screening of immigrants is not a magic bullet. But it will help a lot.