Representation by Population

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I read in this mornings paper why we need more snouts in the Federal trough- two reasons 1. No province can have less members than they do in the senate and 2. No province can have less ridings than they did at on a date of redistribution back in the '70s. Both lame excuses (the perpetrator of which should also be pulled out of the trough). Labrador has the best representation with one riding for a population of 26,000 while one Ontario riding has 170,000 and P.E.I. has four averaging 35,000 when by population alone they would be entitled to one. The average in the country is about 117,000. First of all I think the first two criteria should be removed. Labrador could expand it's riding by annexing part of Nfld. or Quebec. P.E.I. should be reduced to one and the situation in Ontario could be fixed by a little redistribution. The reasons are lame when compared to the criminality of having too many snouts in the trough. The best solution would be to reduce to 154 snouts.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
If you look at population vs. representation - the only "region" that gets the short end of the stick is Ontario, and the Martimes are "over-represented.

The breakdown is (using 2006 Census data and current HoC breakdown):

N/L - 2% of pop / 2% of HoC
PEI - >1% of pop / 1% of HoC
NS - 3% of pop / 4% of HoC
NB - 2% of pop/ 3% of Hoc
Total Maritime - 7% of pop / 10% of HoC

QC - 24% of pop / 24% of HoC

ON - 38% of pop / 34% of HoC

MB - 4% of pop / 5% of HoC
SK - 3% of pop / 5% of HoC
AB - 10% of pop / 9% of HoC
BC - 13% of pop / 12 % of HoC
Total West - 30% of pop / 30% of HoC

(allow for rounding differences)

The whole discussion of the West being under-represented is a red herring.

Once the 2011 census is done, then the numbers may change, but based on the information available now - there is no need to add MPs.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
If you look at population vs. representation - the only "region" that gets the short end of the stick is Ontario, and the Martimes are "over-represented.

Actually, by your numbers, Man and Sask are just as 'over represented' as NB and NS, in fact Sask is the worst of all provinces.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I speaking strictly regions.

Speaking Provinces - you have 5 over-represented, and 3 under-represented. Ontario still being the "worse off"

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
A copule things I don't like , one was Quebecs privilage over the rest of the country.....i wish i was more spacific, and the timing of this subject....of that we are trying to save money and new representatives would cost alot, plus I smeel a ploy from Harper trying to get a majority any way he can. I doubt where the ridings are it would lean Liberal

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Rep by Pop is a joke. Rep by region, reducing the power of the federal gov't to dealing strictly with federal issues, reducing the number of seats, and revamping the electoral system would be preferred. As it is, it is unfair to certain voters, to regions, and dichotomizes the population into mostly Glib or Con. I5t's a crappy joke.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
As the population of Canada continues to increase, the two provisions you’ve referred to (ss. 51(1) and 51A of the Constitution Act, 1867) will render themselves of no further effect. To remove those two provisions without waiting for them to sunset on themselves would require a constitutional amendment authorised by the Honourable the Senate of Canada, the House of Commons, and all ten provincial Legislative Assemblies (per s. 41(b) of the Constitution Act, 1982). The seats will continue to be redistributed at each decennial census.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Here's a great idea which should not really affect our actual effective representation we get from the current politicos right now.
Have rep by pop but triple the size of each riding by population. That will save alot. I have crunched the numbers but it should cut the MPs, MLAs and MPPs etc by half or so.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Theoritically - yes - but Harper wants to "jump" the next census by adding seats now (before the next election)

I always cringe when Harper suggests changes to anything - because all he does is break it more.....

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

The breakdown is (using 2006 Census data and current HoC breakdown):

N/L - 2% of pop / 2% of HoC
PEI - >1% of pop / 1% of HoC
NS - 3% of pop / 4% of HoC
NB - 2% of pop/ 3% of Hoc
Total Maritime - 7% of pop / 10% of HoC

QC - 24% of pop / 24% of HoC

ON - 38% of pop / 34% of HoC

MB - 4% of pop / 5% of HoC
SK - 3% of pop / 5% of HoC
AB - 10% of pop / 9% of HoC
BC - 13% of pop / 12 % of HoC
Total West - 30% of pop / 30% of HoC

(allow for rounding differences)

The whole discussion of the West being under-represented is a red herring.

Once the 2011 census is done, then the numbers may change, but based on the information available now - there is no need to add MPs.

Actually P.E.I. is only about .35% of pop......Alta. and B.C. should get a seat each from P.E.I.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Here's a great idea which should not really affect our actual effective representation we get from the current politicos right now.
Have rep by pop but triple the size of each riding by population. That will save alot. I have crunched the numbers but it should cut the MPs, MLAs and MPPs etc by half or so.

You have the right idea..............increasing number of ridings because the population changes makes no sense at all. Another thing that is absolutely ludicrous is the number of senators from the Eastern province vs. the West? Whose harebrained idea was that? John A. when he was into his cups?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Actually - they should get a seat each from Saskatchewan and/or Manitoba. That way the region doesn't change - just within the region changes.

Yep, that would work. There could be room for a little over rep by Sask. and Mb. because of their land area, but there is absolutely no excuse for P.E.I. to be over represented.........................unless the criteria was changed to sacks of spuds produced. :smile:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually P.E.I. is only about .35% of pop......Alta. and B.C. should get a seat each from P.E.I.
Now figure it out so that each voter in Canada has an equal say. Wouldn't that be fair?
Wouldn't it be fair if Saskan farmers had an equal say over federal intervention in Sask as Ontarioioians or PEIers?
Why should some dork in TO or Regina have as much or more say over BC fisheries as a BC fisher?