Iggy to Whip Gun Registration Bill

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
SOB!!!!

Ohhhh....now I'm pissed.

The ****head leader of the ****head Liberals is going to whip a Private Members' Bill to abolish the long gun registry. His MP will be required to vote AGAINST the bill to abolish, or face party discipline. PMBs are usually not whipped, but are one of the few occasions when all MPS actually get to vote their conscience.

Not this time.

Iggy has, however, decided that the thing to do is lessen penalties for not registering, and eliminate all fees.

Right. Threats of 2 to 5 years in prison failed to get people to register all their guns, but a fine will.

And fees are already eliminated, except for the initial license.

Did Iggy leave his brains in Massachusetts??????

Ignatieff cracks whip on gun registry - The Globe and Mail

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Wait a minit! Lessening penalties for not registering, and eliminating all fees is not abolishing the registry. Bad wording there.
But anyway, it's a boneheaded idea. Either abolish the registry altogether and go back to what we had and enforce it, or at least come up with an explanation as to how the thing would be financed without the fees and stuff.
Whatta dingbat.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Wait a minit! Lessening penalties for not registering, and eliminating all fees is not abolishing the registry. Bad wording there.
But anyway, it's a boneheaded idea. Either abolish the registry altogether and go back to what we had and enforce it, or at least come up with an explanation as to how the thing would be financed without the fees and stuff.
Whatta dingbat.

Sorry Anna, I edited to make thinks clear....Liberal MPs will be forced to vote against the Private Member's Bill to abolish the registry.....

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sorry Anna, I edited to make thinks clear....Liberal MPs will be forced to vote against the Private Member's Bill to abolish the registry.....
Yeah. I reread the article. lol Gawd, some Gliberals can be stoopid sometimes. lmao

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I make no secret of it, I have been a New Democrat for a long time. I am a person
who is progressive of social issues and conservative on financial issues. If you are
going to institute a program you had better know the cost to develop it and how
much it will cost to maintain it over time.
The gun registry period was set up wrong. The long gun portion should be thrown
out and the hand gun portion could have been done a lot cheaper.
The official gun clubs could have been contracted to register all hand guns and
administer the courses for a fraction of the cost the government inflicted on us.
If I thought people were going to be safe or the streets would be safe by having
a registry I would support it. The facts say otherwise. Even domestic violence does
not end because there is a gun registry. Iggy first of all is not a Liberal, he is an
academic. Theocracy does not come with a particular political stripe it just means
those who are so inclined are superior to you and its your fault for not understanding that fact.
Let us look at the other leaders. Harper, now there is the symbol of all things leadership right? Sure. Jack, a nice guy, bit of a mental midget but a nice guy.
Ducepe he is in a federal system attempting to end a federal system
and the woman who leads the Green Party, now there is a real prize I tell you.
If we view the leaders with such little regard, what can be said about those of us
who elected them? This is why we have a long gun registry, and a host of other
things we can't explain. Ain't Canada wonderful?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Hooray for the Liberals.

The long gun registry must be saved.

It works.

It's being used one thousand times a day.

A lot of money has been spent to set this up and to the true form of the Conservative party they want to throw it out because they just love to waste money hence fifty billion dollar deficit from a surplus when they took over the government.

I just want to know how many brown envelopes were floating around the Conservative party to get this deficit so high but we'll have to wait till they are out of office to get the truth.

The majority of police associations and police chiefs are endorsing the long gun registry

Although Hoeppner said police support her bill, law enforcement groups such as the Canadian Association of Police Boards and the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police have insisted the registry has saved lives.
"It is about public safety. It is about giving police the information to deal with the danger posed by a firearm in the wrong hands," association president William Blair said last fall.
Conservative MP takes aim at long-gun registry

On CBC's Power and Politics Mark Holland MP for Ajax-Pickering said that fifty per cent or 50% of all shootings that involve human injuries and fatalities are committed by the long gun.

One can say that the long gun registry prevents future crime because the police can solve the crime quicker with a long gun registry as one of their tools.

Michael Ignatieff also said that this is a government bill but the Conservatives decided to bring this in as a private members bill because the PMO finds that back benchers are more willing to fall on their swords for the for the advancement of the cause

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Hooray for the Liberals.

The long gun registry must be saved.

It works.

It's being used one thousand times a day.

A lot of money has been spent to set this up and to the true form of the Conservative party they want to throw it out because they just love to waste money hence fifty billion dollar deficit from a surplus when they took over the government.

lol @ must be saved.

How exactly does it work? It's about the most expensive database ever created to track farmers rifles.

"It's used a thousand times a day" How many crimes does it solve on a daily basis?

So we should continue to waste money on it? Nice logic.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Mark Holland MP for Ajax-Pickering wouldn't know a long gun if it jumped up and pistol whipped him. I suggest 50% of these dorks insert a barrel up the anus and have a close friend pull the trigger (see, it's even safe that way) so there might be some truth in Liberal stats for a change.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
If it's so well set up, why isn't the damned thing working? I haven's seen or heard much about assault lines of deer hunters on the Jane-Finch corridor.

Because the the people in the Jane-Finch corridor don't use long guns but for the ones that do they are arrested more quicker because of the important tool that the police have with the long gun database.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It should at this point in the debate be noted that Ms. Sheila Fraser, the Auditor General of Canada, has concluded that abolishing the long-gun portion of the registry would only save three million dollars per year. The “average” given above by DurkaDurka simply divides the program’s lifetime cost by the number of years it has run, but in fact, the program was much more expensive to set up than it is to maintain. The true waste of resources here would be abolishing the program now that it is being run efficiently and cost-effectively.

Hopefully, with this long-awaited glimpse of leadership from Mr. Michael Ignatieff M.P., the Leader of Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, we may see the defeat of this unnecessary private member’s bill. (And as added security, of course, it would be extremely unlikely for a private member’s bill to be declared a motion of confidence, since Her Majesty’s Government for Canada has tried to pretend it is not sponsoring this bill.)