Tell me about the Canadian Government

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
So tell me, when the % of welfare recipients in Canada goes down, is that because of increased employment or the government makes getting welfare harder to get...

is it true that the welfare and disability benifist the government pays out are not good enough to even get the recipients to the poverty line at least?

Is it true that the majority of people who pay into EI are ineligable for it? And did Chreatien actually use the EI surplus's to pay of the countries debt? Did him and paul martin lower the amount of money EI receipients receive while at the same time not decreasing royalties i think the word is?

Is it true our governments social spending practices and amount we spend is so appalling that countries like turkey beat us when it comes to social spending?

Ive been reading again, and politics is tough for me to digest

theconqueror

Time Out
Feb 1, 2010
San Diego, California
I know one thing for sure, when I arrived in British Columbia I temporarily recieved welfare and I can honesly say living in the cheapest hotel, I was left with $3 a day to eat and live off of. Reminded me of those $1 a day commericials to help the starving in Ethiopia.

Thank God for those $1 a Pizza slices all over vancouver.. :lol:

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I know one thing for sure, when I arrived in British Columbia I temporarily recieved welfare and I can honesly say living in the cheapest hotel, I was left with $3 a day to eat and live off of. Reminded me of those $1 a day commericials to help the starving in Ethiopia.

Thank God for those $1 a Pizza slices all over vancouver.. :lol:

in your opinion whats the best way for our government to fix that problem?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The whole point of the welfare and EI system in Canada is to encourage those who receive it to get another job as quickly as possible. For that reason it is kept deliberately low. Unfortunately, one of the side-affects of such as system is to force the unemployed into taking any job, even those that are not suitable for them. It also prevents those who are unemployed from seeking job training to upgrade their skills because as soon as they go to school EI is cut off. Many nations such as Sweden have much better funded and better run systems of unemployment relief. The idea is to encourage workers to upgrade while giving them enough to live on while they do so. In the long tern this is a more cost effective system as it tends to result in fewer repeat users of EI or welfare. It also affords the unemployed a little more dignity and enables them to hold on to what they have instead of having to start all over again.