Racial Profiling Led To Jaffer’s Strip Search

Liberalman
Racial Profiling Led To Jaffer’s Strip Search

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/794883

According to the Toronto Star a strip search of ex-federal MP Jaffer’s drug and alcohol led to charges being dropped.

The Ontario Provincial Police or the OPP in the cream of the crop Caledon, Ontario lived up to the reputation of your average small town doughnut scarfing cops.

This is the OPP and they should have known better.

This only means that Harpers refusal to comment on an RCMP investigation of this really has to do with the possible corruption of the Blue Line.

Time will tell

Socrates the Greek
What ever the outcome, Hypocrisy is having a party at the Jaffer camp. A big drunk and for principles, there is none. Looks good on him. .rocks on glass houses....Jack must be saying you are the guy who called me a pot head.............

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Yup... Real hypocricy. The man's (apparenty according to propaganda) Liberal-won rights were violated by police in a way that conviction would have been unjust (another of those propagandic Liberal things) so he was dismissed - by a Judge paid by a Liberal government - and now is being condemned by an unreasonably rabid Liberal.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Yup... Real hypocricy. The man's (apparenty according to propaganda) Liberal-won rights were violated by police in a way that conviction would have been unjust (another of those propagandic Liberal things) so he was dismissed - by a Judge paid by a Liberal government - and now is being condemned by an unreasonably rabid Liberal.

Funny ain't it?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation
I was under the impression that strip searches were standard procedure when someone is arrested for drug possession.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

I was under the impression that strip searches were standard procedure when someone is arrested for drug possession.

The drug possession charge is the direct result of the strip search. Which was extremely unusual for a drunk driving charge. Apparently.

He was also denied access to his lawyer. Although he had already seen a Legal Aid lawyer.

I'm not sold on this.

I've been stripped search before being placed in general holding. Once you have had access to legal counsel. The fact that your retainer lawyers show up, shouldn't matter. He was already cautioned as to his rights. He was obviously told by afforded legal counsel that he would have to submit to a sobriety test. I don't see how barring his personal lawyers while he was submitting to said test meets the legal definition of "Denied Counsel".

On deeper review, this is still looking pretty slimy.

FiveParadox
Liberal
Quote: Originally Posted by CDNBearView Post

The drug possession charge is the direct result of the strip search.

No it isn’t, a small bag of cocaine fell out of one of his jacket’s pockets.

As published by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation:

Quote:

According to sources, she then went back to the Ford Escape and grabbed Jaffer's sport jacket from the passenger seat.

She noticed a bag inside one of the pockets — what would later be determined to be about a gram of cocaine, a small amount but a banned substance for which possession is a federal crime.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadoxView Post

No it isn’t, a small bag of cocaine fell out of one of his jacket’s pockets.

As published by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation:

You see, it has been recently alluded to it being the result of the search.

And my suspicion deepens. Thanks for pointing out my misconception Paradox.

Colpy
Conservative
I think the strip search, while beyond the bounds of reasonable search, was NOT the killer here. After all, both the speeding and the drug possession were discovered before the strip search happened

The lawyers that Jaffer had chosen were refused access to him. That is, in my books, the much greater failure of the process in this case.....and it screws ALL the charges at once.

As an aside, I wonder how lippy Jaffer was with the cops???? He is certainly the smart-*** cocky type, and booze and cocaine do not typically make one contrite.

I could see him giving the cops a REAL hard time.

And I could see the reaction......."Wise-guy, eh? Okay, we'll see, down with the jeans, lean over, grasp both sides of the desk, brace yourself......:

and well-deserved.

You know the time you really should worry about full cavity searches is when you feel both of the searchers' hands on your shoulders.....

Socrates the Greek
On a self righteous Snow white Conservative what was cocaine doing in his pocket?, just storing it for safe keeping? A liberal did not squeal on Jaffer, but rather Jaffer is a Con hypocrite, my sh!t don’t smell but the NDP leaders S smellsmore then mine. He got what he deserved and the people who voted for the scum bag got what they disserve for not paying attention. Where is the unreasonable rabid Liberal? when in fact the scum bag brought all this upon him self. What Liberal propagantic thing?

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Do you ever try to make sense, sock?

Wasn't it your God's Charter that gave law breakers all their rights?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I think the strip search, while beyond the bounds of reasonable search, was NOT the killer here. After all, both the speeding and the drug possession were discovered before the strip search happened

Then the strip search is not out of the ordinary. Either offense is "Indictable". A combination of the two, is reasonable grounds to hold him for arraignment. Therefore he would be placed in a cell. Therefore he would have to be searched before being placed there.

Singularly, one or the other charge, I would be open to the search being a tad unreasonable for a first offense.

Quote:

The lawyers that Jaffer had chosen were refused access to him. That is, in my books, the much greater failure of the process in this case.....and it screws ALL the charges at once.

He had already seen a Legal Aid Counsel. His right to Counsel was not hindered. His personal Counsel were delayed while he was taking a breathalyzer test, only. This is not unreasonable.

Quote:

As an aside, I wonder how lippy Jaffer was with the cops???? He is certainly the smart-*** cocky type, and booze and cocaine do not typically make one contrite.

I could see him giving the cops a REAL hard time.

Agreed, which likely led the Officers to afford him no quarter.

Quote:

You know the time you really should worry about full cavity searches is when you feel both of the searchers' hands on your shoulders.....

I thought that was reserved for politicians like Jaffer?

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by Socrates the GreekView Post

On a self righteous Snow white Conservative what was cocaine doing in his pocket?, just storing it for safe keeping? A liberal did not squeal on Jaffer, but rather Jaffer is a Con hypocrite, my sh!t don’t smell but the NDP leaders S smellsmore then mine. He got what he deserved and the people who voted for the scum bag got what they disserve for not paying attention. Where is the unreasonable rabid Liberal? when in fact the scum bag brought all this upon him self. What Liberal propagantic thing?

Soc, if you can not participate in a mature and constructive way. Instead of this hyperbole and sidetracking manner. I will be forced to report your posts, for what they are.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation
I read the report the CBC had on this (linked in the other thread...how many threads did we need on this topic?) and uninvolved defense lawyers said because both other lawyers that Jaffer tried to contact call back during the testing that the cops should have stopped and restarted the breathalizer and let him talk to them. I usually take defense lawyers with a grain of salt but I can see this going either way because we have the right to choose an attourney... which he tried to invoke twice, and it seems the prosecutors agreed that he should have been allowed to talk to his chosen attourney(s). Really its a screw up by the cops, because restarting the test still wouldn't have given him the time to sober up that much.

As for the posession charge, I don't get it from what I saw reported. If the officer found the cocaine in his jacket pocket when retrieving it from his vehicle, how can it be tainted by the strip search when it was obtained prior to it? The cops might have overplayed things with a strip search but if they already had a baggie of cocaine, that doesn't mean Jaffer's rights were violated for that seizure to me...

FiveParadox
Liberal
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

Sounds like a good evening to me.

I can see Rahim Jaffer acting like a complete dolt to the officers; and I don’t think it was racial profiling that caused his strip search, I think it probably had more to do with coming across that baggy of cocaine in his coat pocket.

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I read the report the CBC had on this (linked in the other thread...how many threads did we need on this topic?) and uninvolved defense lawyers said because both other lawyers that Jaffer tried to contact call back during the testing that the cops should have stopped and restarted the breathalizer and let him talk to them. I usually take defense lawyers with a grain of salt but I can see this going either way because we have the right to choose an attourney... which he tried to invoke twice, and it seems the prosecutors agreed that he should have been allowed to talk to his chosen attourney(s). Really its a screw up by the cops, because restarting the test still wouldn't have given him the time to sober up that much.

But a reasonable argument could be made to support that the test should not be postponed...

In fact, I can pretty much guarantee you, this would not be afforded to you and I wulfie.

Quote:

As for the posession charge, I don't get it from what I saw reported. If the officer found the cocaine in his jacket pocket when retrieving it from his vehicle, how can it be tainted by the strip search when it was obtained prior to it?

I think I misinterpreted that, if that's what you're going by. Or you got the same feel I did from the reports?
Quote:

The cops might have overplayed things with a strip search but if they already had a baggie of cocaine, that doesn't mean Jaffer's rights were violated for that seizure to me...

Me neither.

*******, I had a mouth full of coffee when I read that!!!

Quote:

I can see Rahim Jaffer acting like a complete dolt to the officers; and I don’t think it was racial profiling that caused his strip search, I think it probably had more to do with coming across that baggy of cocaine in his coat pocket.

And two indictable offenses?

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

Quote:

He's an egotistical prick, even with the charges dropped he's still ruined for any future political office.

wulfie68
No Party Affiliation

But a reasonable argument could be made to support that the test should not be postponed...

In fact, I can pretty much guarantee you, this would not be afforded to you and I wulfie.

I hope you'll forgive me if I say its not an experiment I want to try... Its not that I'm against the drinking part, but the arrest and strip search and stuff doesn't sound like my thing...

I think I misinterpreted that, if that's what you're going by. Or you got the same feel I did from the reports?

Maybe I misunderstood things too but the way I read it was:

- Jaffer gets pulled over and goes through standard roadside drunk test stuff

- Jaffer is taken into custody

- cop goes back to Jaffer's vehicle to get Jaffer's jacket for him and finds cocaine baggy

- they go on to station where rest of evening ensues, including lawyer screwup and strip search

I just don't see how he walks on the possession if I understand the timeline correctly.

Colpy
Conservative

That one even got all the heteros here in a giggle-fit. LMAO

CDNBear
Quote: Originally Posted by wulfie68View Post

I hope you'll forgive me if I say its not an experiment I want to try... Its not that I'm against the drinking part, but the arrest and strip search and stuff doesn't sound like my thing...

If you haven't already experienced it, I don't recommend it, take my word for it. It isn't pleasant. Unless your nickname is Hoopy Rubberbut. And yes, I served a little time with a guys whose nickname was just that, lol.
Quote:

Maybe I misunderstood things too but the way I read it was:

Nope, not at all, you most certainly did get it right. The mistake was all mine.
Quote:

I just don't see how he walks on the possession if I understand the timeline correctly.

After Paradox pointed out my error, I went back and took a look, and your timeline looks pretty much bang on. Therefore, I completely agree and join with your confusion as to how those charges got dropped.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

Therefore, I completely agree and join with your confusion as to how those charges got dropped.

I'll take a stab at it... it's called lots of money & lawyers.

Most regular folks would try for a plea bargain or just plead guilty as the costs of a protracted legal battle would exceed most peoples savings.

CDNBear

I'll take a stab at it... it's called lots of money & lawyers.

Most regular folks would try for a plea bargain or just plead guilty as the costs of a protracted legal battle would exceed most peoples savings.

Won't argue that. In the long run, it's cheaper to pleadout, avoid as much time to be served as possible. Then pay for a pardon years later. Been there, done that, got a PAL in exchange, lol.

DurkaDurka
No Party Affiliation

Won't argue that. In the long run, it's cheaper to pleadout, avoid as much time to be served as possible. Then pay for a pardon years later. Been there, done that, got a PAL in exchange, lol.

I was charged with public disturbance by fighting when I was 19 or so, beat the crap out of a guy in front of a bar... pleaded guilty, got a $500.00 fine & a discharge.

Goober
Free Thinker
Liberalman

How did you arrive at the conclusion that Racial profiling was used - because he is not White. Very wise white man.

Jumping to a whacked out conclusion like that I have some sage advice from an old shxt -
Stay I say stay away from bridges, and building over one level - any high places - and if you need your dinner cut with shall we say a knife - Please ask for someones help. Better yet switch to plastic. Remember - It is all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

CDNBear

I was charged with public disturbance by fighting when I was 19 or so, beat the crap out of a guy in front of a bar... pleaded guilty, got a $500.00 fine & a discharge.

Your lucky. I did time...twice!

Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

Liberalman

How did you arrive at the conclusion that Racial profiling was used - because he is not White. Very wise white man.

Jumping to a whacked out conclusion like that I have some sage advice from an old shxt -
Stay I say stay away from bridges, and building over one level - any high places - and if you need your dinner cut with shall we say a knife - Please ask for someones help. Better yet switch to plastic. Remember - It is all fun and games until someone loses an eye.

I just ignored the whacked out assertion Goober, look where it's coming from. My oldest boy is very much like him. He accused me of profiling a Police Officer last night, lol.