U.S. to press for Canada to keep troops in Afghanistan

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
What i think? We have been there long enough and we have absorbed too many causalities for a country of 33 million.... We have made them howl and now its time to send our men and women home.

U.S. to press for Canada to keep troops in Afghanistan - The Globe and Mail

The U.S. government will ask Canada to keep as many as 500 to 600 troops in Afghanistan after this country’s military deployment in Kandahar ends in 2011.
Sources inside and outside the government say the formal request is expected toward the end of this year through NATO. The troops would act as military trainers and would most likely be located in Kabul. The deployment would not involve putting Canadian troops in harm’s way, but could nonetheless set off a rancorous national debate among Canadians and especially within the Liberal Party.
No specific request has been raised in meetings between Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Defence Minister Peter MacKay. But officials in the departments of State and Defence have advised their Canadian counterparts that an “ask” is coming.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
They can kiss this!
:pottytrain2:

No way. We can create a crown corporation that operates at arms length to the government. Then, get ready for this, sell our service to the US, you know just like Blackwater.. Bugger, I am smart. Then we could get new jeeps and guns for all the rest of the armed forces. Maybe even put in a mobile Timmy's trailer with each deployment.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
No way. We can create a crown corporation that operates at arms length to the government. Then, get ready for this, sell our service to the US, you know just like Blackwater.. Bugger, I am smart. Then we could get new jeeps and guns for all the rest of the armed forces. Maybe even put in a mobile Timmy's trailer with each deployment.

thats probally already a possibility, they recruit heavily from chile and south africa

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

That is frickin good idea.:cool:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
On a serious note, though, I resent Canadian forces under the leadership of another country or even small set of countries like NATO. If it must be under the leadership of a supranational organization, then I'd rather it be under the authority of something more neutral like the UN for example.

If it can't be under UN authority, then bring them home.

And this is not just about Afghanistan or the US. I think that just as a symbolic matter of equality between nations, Canadian military personnel ought never, ever to be under the authority of another country or even small group of countries. If it can't e under Canadian control, then at least something neutral like US control, and if the UN refuses that, then we keep our soldiers home.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: US ‘Neutral’? / Prime Minister’s Abdication

If it can't e under Canadian control, then at least something neutral like US control [...]

I would hardly hold the United States of America as “something neutral”.

On whether the Canadian Forces should continue to have a presence in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan—if there is a solid and irrefutable Canadian interest in continuing our armed intervention, then absolutely. It would be heart-breaking to see us remove ourselves too early only to watch the Afghan people, and an irrefutably-improved democratic system, collapse under its own weight if they weren’t ready.

Recently, The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister of Canada decided to start abdicating his executive authority to the House of Commons, by letting the Commons decide whether or not the Canadian Forces should remain in Afghanistan; for this the prime minister should be sorely condemned, and the Government should oust this man with an obvious lack of leadership, and of vision for Canada’s role abroad. A prime minister’s role on the matter of the Canadian Forces is to advise the Governor General of Canada on our forces’ operations with regard to Canadian interests; the Canadian Forces answer to the Crown, not to the House of Commons. This is an integral part of the valuable relationship between Her Majesty The Queen of Canada and Her Majesty’s Canadian citizens.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
As for consulting with the House of Commons, I think that ought to be encouraged. Only in the most pressing of conditions should the PM act unanimously.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
we said we'd be out in 2011...then we get our ass out in 2011.....f*ckin americans can find some other suckers to do their killing for them.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Canada could always do what the clever Germans have done in Afghanistan, and that is station soldiers in areas of the country that are so docile there is little chance of taking casualties. The Yanks could then maintain to the rest of the world that the "peaceful" Canadians support their cause. Afghanistan might be a bit of a moot point, however. Obama does not want to maintain a US presence in Afghanistan any longer than necessary. Sooner or later the Americans are going to maintain that the Afghan government can look after itself and let it stand or fall on its own.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
leave it to Canada leaving they could never finish a fight no surprise there... especially when you sign a damn treaty in NATO when a nation is under attack we are all under attack.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
leave it to Canada leaving they could never finish a fight no surprise there... especially when you sign a damn treaty in NATO when a nation is under attack we are all under attack.

another ignorant american.

I'd say more but I'm supposed to be nice to the short bus crowed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
leave it to Canada leaving they could never finish a fight no surprise there...
No surprise there? Really? Shall I post a list of American lead invasions, police actions, counter military programs, where the US backed out after creating a power vacuum that created more chaos then was the cause of their involvement?

Then I can supply you with a list of Canadian Peace Keeping missions that have spanned decades. Canada is in till the job is done. Even at the ultimate cost. It is political back biting that is causing our political leaders to back peddle on our involvement in Afghanistan. Nothing more.

especially when you sign a damn treaty in NATO when a nation is under attack we are all under attack.
I would otherwise agree, if you didn't sound like an misinformed boob.

another ignorant american.
A common problem on forums.

I'd say more but I'm supposed to be nice to the short bus crowed.
Oh boy a PC Gh...:lol:

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
No surprise there? Really? Shall I post a list of American lead invasions, police actions, counter military programs, where the US backed out after creating a power vacuum that created more chaos then was the cause of their involvement?

Then I can supply you with a list of Canadian Peace Keeping missions that have spanned decades. Canada is in till the job is done. Even at the ultimate cost. It is political back biting that is causing our political leaders to back peddle on our involvement in Afghanistan. Nothing more.

I would otherwise agree, if you didn't sound like an misinformed boob.

A common problem on forums.

Oh boy a PC Gh...:lol:

maybe if you guys would stop hating and look at the damn facts you wouldn't get so defensive. You people are a joke , I am sure if you guys were attack you would want us to step in and help.

but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you have to be to damn fing special for someone to care. so i can see the treaty means **** to you.

you people are a joke period nothing more.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
maybe if you guys would stop hating and look at the damn facts you wouldn't get so defensive.
Why wouldn't I get defensive, you just spewed anti Canadian BS, a complete hypocritical lie of it at that.

What did you expect? A hug?

And I'm no hater, I've accused of kissing American ass. So I think you should rethink your present course of commentary.

You people are a joke ,
If we are, that would make you the punchline right?

I am sure if you guys were attack you would want us to step in and help.
Ummm, sure, ya, of course. Just like we did when the US was attacked.

but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo you have to be to damn fing special for someone to care.
This idiocy isn't backed up by fact.

so i can see the treaty means **** to you.
Not really, in fact I have stated several times in several threads that Canada has an obligation to uphold it's participation in NATO. I think your being confused about what said, is based on some cognitive skill deficiency.
you people are a joke period nothing more.
Again, making you the punchline. Because you obviously can counter my assertion with a reason, educated and rational rebuttal.

critter171

Hey all from the USA
Feb 24, 2010
Usa, New hampshire
Why wouldn't I get defensive, you just spewed anti Canadian BS, a complete hypocritical lie of it at that.

What did you expect? A hug?

And I'm no hater, I've accused of kissing American ass. So I think you should rethink your present course of commentary.

If we are, that would make you the punchline right?

Ummm, sure, ya, of course. Just like we did when the US was attacked.

This idiocy isn't backed up by fact.

Not really, in fact I have stated several times in several threads that Canada has an obligation to uphold it's participation in NATO. I think your being confused about what said, is based on some cognitive skill deficiency.
Again, making you the punchline. Because you obviously can counter my assertion with a reason, educated and rational rebuttal.

lie really? if that was a lie why are you so defensive if this was not true... maybe you know how i feel when you people criticizes my own damn country

Don't like it they keep your mouth shut about other places.