Parliamentary Decorum

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Opening hours of parliament and I can already see that our parliamentarians have learned nothing from the spirit of the Olympics. Oops, have to take that back as all the members of the House just stood and sang O Canada while the torch was carried in by one of our para-olympic athletes - good on them. Maybe they did learn something after all. Good grief! Now they are giving the chap a 'Go Canada Go' cheer and clapping their hands. I tend to forget that Iggy is only one person and there are many members who cheered along with their constituents during the games.

None-the-less, this spirt may not last for long once the more contentious issue arise. Therefore, I intend to contact my MP and send her a copy of this motion which she can then introduce to the House.

Mr. Speaker, I move that the House adopt a motion presented on behalf of all citizens of Canada by which each and every single Honourable Member will be bound by the rules of decorum, courtesy and vocal restraint.

Mr. Speaker, the example set by our athletes during the Olympic Games set a high standard for civilized and courteous behaviour. The Honourable Members of the House can now do no less.

The Honourable Members of this great House would do themselves much credit by fully and completely acquiescing to the wishes of the people of Canada who they are bound to represent and henceforth conduct themselves with pride and honor.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I'm all for that. Good idea!!!

Occasionally there is more decorum in a skid road beer parlor than there is in parliament.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I hear John Baird is offering on-site Parliamentary decorum workshops for the uninitiated.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Opening hours of parliament and I can already see that our parliamentarians have learned nothing from the spirit of the Olympics. Oops, have to take that back as all the members of the House just stood and sang O Canada while the torch was carried in by one of our para-olympic athletes - good on them. Maybe they did learn something after all. Good grief! Now they are giving the chap a 'Go Canada Go' cheer and clapping their hands. I tend to forget that Iggy is only one person and there are many members who cheered along with their constituents during the games.

None-the-less, this spirt may not last for long once the more contentious issue arise. Therefore, I intend to contact my MP and send her a copy of this motion which she can then introduce to the House.

Mr. Speaker, I move that the House adopt a motion presented on behalf of all citizens of Canada by which each and every single Honourable Member will be bound by the rules of decorum, courtesy and vocal restraint.

Mr. Speaker, the example set by our athletes during the Olympic Games set a high standard for civilized and courteous behaviour. The Honourable Members of the House can now do no less.

The Honourable Members of this great House would do themselves much credit by fully and completely acquiescing to the wishes of the people of Canada who they are bound to represent and henceforth conduct themselves with pride and honor.

A Good on you.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The nonsense and bad manners that occurs in Canada's Parliament is quite ridiculous. I don't really care if it is a parliamentary tradition I would like it to stop. If American Congressmen and Senators can act politely toward one another then "polite" Canadians should be able to do so as well.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The nonsense and bad manners that occurs in Canada's Parliament is quite ridiculous. I don't really care if it is a parliamentary tradition I would like it to stop. If American Congressmen and Senators can act politely toward one another then "polite" Canadians should be able to do so as well.

Thank you, Bar Sinister for your contribution. There is absolutely no reason why our members of parliament cannot conduct themselves with dignity, none whatsoever.

Without all the blustering and acrimony that now seems to rule the day, we might actually see bills and motions passed in a much shorter period of time.

I see it as a win-win situation. Good for the business of Canada and good for its citizens who might even start to take a more active interest in the affairs of the nation.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Dear Ms. McLeod;

I have written a motion that I would very much like to see introduced in the House. Rather than a private member's bill, I would like to see you discuss this with your colleagues as I believe the Heritage Minister on behalf of the government and the people of Canada, should introduce it. All votes should be recorded and televised in order for Canadians to know who, if anyone, voted against it.

I belong to a very active forum on the internet called Canadian Content, the consensus of opinion from my post on the subject is that this idea is long overdue.

I am approaching you first with the idea as I am a member of the Conservative Party and would like to see my party and my government take the highroad on this subject. However, I will send a similar email to all the opposition parties if I do not hear from you in a timely manner. Now is the time to do this. Now while Canadians are embued with the glow of patriotism. People are paying attention more than ever before. The party who passes this motion will capture the imagination of millions of Canadians and I can only assume, more than a few of their votes. This is an idea that can unite the House and foster a better working relationship between the opposition and the government which is nothing less than we Canadians deserve.

I believe the motion should be modelled along these lines.

Mr. Speaker, I move that the House adopt a motion presented on behalf of all citizens of Canada by which each and every Honourable Member will be bound by the rules of dignity, decorum, common courtesy and vocal restraint.

ATTENTION:Whoever opens this email for Ms. McLeod, I ask you - please see that it is brought to her attention ASAP.

Yours truly,

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I would hope they could all maintain a level of civility that the members of this forum maintain. I think they may have been adversely affected by the Charter.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I would hope they could all maintain a level of civility that the members of this forum maintain. I think they may have been adversely affected by the Charter.

I really don't care what they might have been affected by, JLM. There is no excuse for bad manners and nothing of know of that can replace them.

The way parliament is conducted now almost makes me long for the days of drunken mayhem when some of the most stirring and glorious oratory sprung from the lips of members who were falling down drunk. A number of the most impassioned speeches on the subject of confederation were delivered after more than a few trips to the bottle.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I really don't care what they might have been affected by, JLM. There is no excuse for bad manners and nothing of know of that can replace them.

The way parliament is conducted now almost makes me long for the days of drunken mayhem when some of the most stirring and glorious oratory sprung from the lips of members who were falling down drunk. A number of the most impassioned speeches on the subject of confederation were delivered after more than a few trips to the bottle.

Just trying to add a little levity to the otherwise horrifying subject.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Am I to gather that the reference to the subject being 'horrifying' is again in jest??? :lol:

I was grasping for the right word when I picked horrifying, but any negative words will do to describe these clowns at times.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC

I figure there are only 3 reasons why the MPs behave this way.
1. They don't know any better.
2. They don't give a sh!t about "decorum & manners."
3. Both of the above.

In any case, perhaps they - the ones who make our laws - should be subject to a series of "time outs, with meaning" when they misbehave. The list of offences and punishments could look something like this: (preliminary only; subject to additions)

1. Raising one's voice above a specified decibel level - 3 days in an anger management workshop.

2. Raising one's hands/arms to make a point - 5 days doing street clean-up in Ottawa during summer, shoveling snow for senior citizens in winter.

3. Uttering a veiled threat to a fellow MP - 7 consecutive days cleaning toilets and washing bed pans in a hospital.

4. Showing any form of sarcasm or disrespect for any fellow MP - 5 days (any season) in a newly-erected "Dunk the MP" booth set up on the grounds of the House of Commons. This would also be a good tourist attraction and a new source of revenue for the government. Suggested fee: $3.00 per throw, plus GST & HST. Or, 5 throws for $12.00.

5. Shouting, talking, interjecting, or otherwise interfering when someone else is talking - a public spanking of no less than 5 minutes duration, same location as the "Dunk the MP" booth. Separate admission fee ($2.00 plus GST & HST) required. Children 12 and under - free.

This resolution would of course require a public referendum as it would not make it through the House in the normal fashion. But, if passed it would likely quiet things down in a hurry.

Sound silly? Well, no sillier than the bullsh!t that is performed for the CPAC cameras on a daily basis now by our federal law-makers.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I know I will be labelled Yankee-lover and other derogatory terms, but having watched procedures in the American Senate and House as opposed to the Canadian Parliament, I could not help but come to the inevitable conclusion that the Americans are gentlemen/women who can and do live by rules and conventions of public decency, while our "representatives" are boorish thugs, who never had a mother to tell them to behave.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I figure there are only 3 reasons why the MPs behave this way.
1. They don't know any better.
2. They don't give a sh!t about "decorum & manners."
3. Both of the above.

In any case, perhaps they - the ones who make our laws - should be subject to a series of "time outs, with meaning" when they misbehave. The list of offences and punishments could look something like this: (preliminary only; subject to additions)

1. Raising one's voice above a specified decibel level - 3 days in an anger management workshop.

2. Raising one's hands/arms to make a point - 5 days doing street clean-up in Ottawa during summer, shoveling snow for senior citizens in winter.

3. Uttering a veiled threat to a fellow MP - 7 consecutive days cleaning toilets and washing bed pans in a hospital.

4. Showing any form of sarcasm or disrespect for any fellow MP - 5 days (any season) in a newly-erected "Dunk the MP" booth set up on the grounds of the House of Commons. This would also be a good tourist attraction and a new source of revenue for the government. Suggested fee: $3.00 per throw, plus GST & HST. Or, 5 throws for $12.00.

5. Shouting, talking, interjecting, or otherwise interfering when someone else is talking - a public spanking of no less than 5 minutes duration, same location as the "Dunk the MP" booth. Separate admission fee ($2.00 plus GST & HST) required. Children 12 and under - free.

This resolution would of course require a public referendum as it would not make it through the House in the normal fashion. But, if passed it would likely quiet things down in a hurry.

Sound silly? Well, no sillier than the bullsh!t that is performed for the CPAC cameras on a daily basis now by our federal law-makers.

I love it and the voting part would be so enjoyable it might just increase the number of people voting in future elections.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Dear (my name is taken out for privacy reasons)

Thank you for contacting the office of Cathy McLeod. Your input is, as always, valued. I will certainly bring your suggestion for a motion to Cathy’s attention.

Sincerely,

Zachary Vance
Legislative Assistant
Office of Cathy McLeod, M.P.
Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo