Northboy's Ramble

Northboy

Electoral Member
Well, the Olympics are over, the hangover has just begun. We'll see what happens when you effectively finance the Olympics on your visa card.

In my world of economic development, we're going to have our funding cut.

MPs, conservative ones as well, say that our program is effective and one has been quoted as saying "Without (I leave the name out), these things (positive projects on the rural landscape) would not happen....Things like a technology school for First Nations on a reserve, new funding models to handle log inventory for the battered forest industry...You know, stuff you guys never talk about because in your pamphleteering you forget that there is a public service caught in the middle.

Many projects did not receive funding. Little stuff like stuff you NEED FOR YOUR FUTURE...Oh, but lets cut, that's the Conservative way.....The simple truth is this is not actually the conservative way. I know, my family had something to do with the start of the conservative movement. It called for prudent progress and development as a matter of national interest....

You guys keep talking, keep stirring the pot for no useful purpose.

Me, I just work for the greater good, or should I say I did.....

The government has spoken, they don't need people like me....

Get ready for the fourth reich.You've allowed it to happen.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
i remember there was lots of devils club in vanderhoof, grizzlies too, but the devils club was the worst
Speaking of economic development, the root of devils club has the same properties as ginseng. The last time I looked it was worth about $85 a pound harvested and sold to buyers in Vancouver. Not sure what it is worth retail, but that would be a tidy little cottage industry in areas where it grows in abundance. It wouldn't take much to research and you don't need a government grant or make work project to get it off the ground (but you might need to invest in some metal armour to harvest it).

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Cliffy: Can you supply a link for Devils Club root? The ginseng we get comes from China so I'm not sure how safe it is to use.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Speaking of economic development, the root of devils club has the same properties as ginseng. The last time I looked it was worth about $85 a pound harvested and sold to buyers in Vancouver. Not sure what it is worth retail, but that would be a tidy little cottage industry in areas where it grows in abundance. It wouldn't take much to research and you don't need a government grant or make work project to get it off the ground (but you might need to invest in some metal armour to harvest it).
... and the next thing you know, devil's club will be as scarce as Shiitake mushrooms and yew trees around here because everyone and their dog and cat decided to try making a quick $ from it. Brilliant. Typical unregulated, capitalist mindset, rape the land until everything's gone or useless and then move on to something else.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Holy **** i didnt mean for this to go this way, sorry for bringing up devils club but when you walk into a few acres of that **** you really feel it lol :(

Say no to Devils club Harvesting

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Holy **** i didnt mean for this to go this way, sorry for bringing up devils club but when you walk into a few acres of that **** you really feel it lol :(

Say no to Devils club Harvesting
lol Much like nettles. Major pain in the butt (or whatever other part comes in contact).

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
... and the next thing you know, devil's club will be as scarce as Shiitake mushrooms and yew trees around here because everyone and their dog and cat decided to try making a quick $ from it. Brilliant. Typical unregulated, capitalist mindset, rape the land until everything's gone or useless and then move on to something else.
The Yew tree was harvested for its ability to provide a cnacer fighting chemical - that chmical is now synthetic. So the tree is safe.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Foraging for wild food and medicinal plants should be regulated and people trained in proper harvesting methods that are geared to sustainability. I know people who make a living at foraging and all of them use sustainable methods of harvesting. Fortunately, though, there are few people who can handle the "real" work involved.

But like mosquitoes, I could live without devil's club.