Campbell proposes to give Corporations the vote

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I have a hazy recollection of a history lesson about 90 years ago saying something like "no taxation without representation"- so maybe Campbell is not proposing anyhting new.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
One problem with giving corporations the vote is that it would actually give them multiple votes, since there would be nothing to stop corporations from spinning off subsidiaries in order to get more votes; and what corporations are we talking about - just Canadian or would Japanese, Chinese, and US corporations also get to vote. In addition, the corporate executives already get to vote so it would be adding one more vote to their votes. This whole idea is an ugly can of worms and seems rather poorly thought out.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
One problem with giving corporations the vote is that it would actually give them multiple votes, since there would be nothing to stop corporations from spinning off subsidiaries in order to get more votes; and what corporations are we talking about - just Canadian or would Japanese, Chinese, and US corporations also get to vote. In addition, the corporate executives already get to vote so it would be adding one more vote to their votes. This whole idea is an ugly can of worms and seems rather poorly thought out.
Campbell looks to much like an automaton to think much. He is probably just doing the bidding of his masters.

penlove

Feb 18, 2010
The corporations will always remain powerful in this world we live in now. There are corporations with income bigger than 80% of other countries in the world. They are going to control what policies our governments take and you can't do anything about that. They run the government. From the President down to the cleaner.

This idea by Campbell is a bad idea but I believe corporate power wins again.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Campbell looks to much like an automaton to think much. He is probably just doing the bidding of his masters.
Do you really think that Cliff? I think the man is pretty high on himself. He seems to think he is the greatest thing next to God.
I see in the link you provided that we can write any objections we have to the address provided so I think anyone here who truly objects, should write and say so. There may still be lots of time to write (just over a month I think) but - there is no time like the present to be sure it gets done. This is the time for your voices to be heard. Another day and this will be off the page and just be another forgotten thread until someone revives it long after the April deadline.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Do you really think that Cliff? I think the man is pretty high on himself. He seems to think he is the greatest thing next to God.
I see in the link you provided that we can write any objections we have to the address provided so I think anyone here who truly objects, should write and say so. There may still be lots of time to write (just over a month I think) but - there is no time like the present to be sure it gets done. This is the time for your voices to be heard. Another day and this will be off the page and just be another forgotten thread until someone revives it long after the April deadline.
Yup! I voiced my objections in no uncertain terms. I hope everyone from BC does the same. Maybe others too as it is probably coming to a province near them if Campbell gets his way.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Yup! I voiced my objections in no uncertain terms. I hope everyone from BC does the same. Maybe others too as it is probably coming to a province near them if Campbell gets his way.
Yes - I was thinking exactly the same regarding other provinces.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
This is outrageous. It is bad enough they have more rights than people but giving them the vote would put the lid on democracy and seal our fate as a corporate dictatorship.
Local Government Elections Task Force - Welcome

http://www.localelectionstaskforce.gov.bc.ca/library/Corporate_Vote_Discussion_Paper.pdf

See now you can be just like us and we can share cookies have lots of fun.

In the U.S. the Corp. cannot vote, but they can now use unlimited amounts of money to back a particular candidate.

Last edited:

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Supreme Court eases restrictions on corporate campaign spending - CNN.com - Something Similar to what Campbell is proposing ..

Power to the people.(as long as your Big Biz employer says it's ok)..If corporations support a candidate ..It better be transparent...May I suggest sew on badges/symbol placed on the politicians suit ,next to his/her name?..How about an online registry?

1 of many potential problems I can see, is if big oil, banks or insurance companies publically supported a candidate ,and the candidate was required to disclose all big sponsors publically..They would never get elected.."They" know it..

Now on the other hand if a candidate was sponsored by Green/Clean Tech companies ..The people would stand in lines for miles to vote..:icon_smile: lol...However in the U.S. election system .The peoples vote only goes so far as it is now..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
See now you can be just like us and we can share cookies have lots of fun.

In the U.S. the Corp. cannot vote, but they can now use unlimited amounts of money to back a particular candidate.
See - they cannot do that here but - given the right to vote basically gives them much the same power.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Every BC person in particular should copy and paste that into an email. Nothing moves faster than email. Stress the fact that we only have until April to voice our opinion on what Campbell is obviously hoping he can slide in without any of us taking much notice while we are involved in such things as watching the Olympics.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
This is outrageous. It is bad enough they have more rights than people but giving them the vote would put the lid on democracy and seal our fate as a corporate dictatorship.
Local Government Elections Task Force - Welcome

http://www.localelectionstaskforce.gov.bc.ca/library/Corporate_Vote_Discussion_Paper.pdf
If you read the pdf, Cliffy, you'd have noticed right at the top they are only considering giving corporations the vote in LOCAL elections. If I have a company in Kaslo or Castlegar or wherever and gov't decisions affect my company, it'd be nice if my company had a say in the issue. For instance, if the city wanted to take out the nice oak tree that shades my store in the summer and plunk a dumb statue (like that thing in Nelson) there, I'd like my store to have a say in the issue, too.
And as far as I can tell, it's only one vote anyway. And the gov'ts in their "wisdom" grant that companies are legal entities anyway.
From your pdf:
The “corporate vote” refers to the ability of businesses to vote in local government elections.

Last edited: