Should the Commonwealth have its own Peace Corps?

Should the Commonwealth create its own Peace Corp as described in the OP?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Peace Corps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the idea of a Peace Corp is a wonderful idea and we could always create something even better than the US Peace Corp (though this still wouldn't change the fact that they can still lay claim to having initiated it).

I could see the establishment of a Commonwealth Peace Corp with a few improvements added. For example, in the Canadian military it is possible to sign a ten year contract whereby the government offers five years of education in exchange for five years of service. A Commonwealth Peace Corp could introduce this added bonus, except that it would be five years of volunteer work instead of paid work like in the military.

A Corp de la Paix de la Francophonie could likewise be created as a francophone parallel organization. What would be your thoughts on this?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Since the peace dividend realized by the American version has been miserable at best what possible hope could any similar new organization emulating same have of success. Unless you're talking about the covert work. The "common-wealth",jesus how they laugh in the face of the poor. If wealth was common there would be no need of a peace corp.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Since the peace dividend realized by the American version has been miserable at best what possible hope could any similar new organization emulating same have of success. Unless you're talking about the covert work. The "common-wealth",jesus how they laugh in the face of the poor. If wealth was common there would be no need of a peace corp.

Now you're confusing a few things. For one thing, this is not to say that I agree with everything the Commonwealth does, but it could save administrative costs for Commonwealth countries to share a common Peace Corp.

And as for the US Peace Corp, it's not the US military. It's a totally separate entity, and as far as I can tell, it's done much good work internationally. No it's not perfect, but it's not a bad organization overall, though I'd argue that it has not been as fully exploited by the US as it could have been as an opportunity to educate the population, which is why I'd proposed the addition of education in exchange.

So what is it about the US Peace Corp that you're so opposed to?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Sure. We already send consevative dip****s off into the firing line why discount the Liberal dip****s??

First off, what makes you think all members of the Peace Corp are liberals. And secondly, calling them 'dip****t' is hardly a standing ovation. So it's natural to take it as sarcasm suggesting you're not too fond of the idea. I did notice the yes vote above, but still this comment doesn't seem to suggest support for it. Instead, it comes across as a sarcastic opposition to the idea, which would seem to contradict the yes vote above, so naturally I was confused.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm all for sending Canadians around the globe maybe it will wake them up a little. Look it's all throwing good money to clean up the bad. When a Peace Corp has the oomph to change our corporate business practices while abroad and make them accountable at home then we'll have something to be completely proud of.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I'm all for sending Canadians around the globe maybe it will wake them up a little. Look it's all throwing good money to clean up the bad. When a Peace Corp has the oomph to change our corporate business practices while abroad and make them accountable at home then we'll have something to be completely proud of.

Hmmm... Though I think a Peace Corp would certainly be of benefit, both at home and abroad (it does not need to be reserved exclusively for service abroad), I don't see how it would necessarily improve bad business practices. Could you elaborate on that? Though certainly if I missed something and you could see some way that such a corp could eliminate bad business practices, then that would just be another added bonus to a Peace Corp that I've overlooked. I'd certainly be interested in reading how a Peace Corp could improve business practices.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Now you're confusing a few things. For one thing, this is not to say that I agree with everything the Commonwealth does, but it could save administrative costs for Commonwealth countries to share a common Peace Corp.

And as for the US Peace Corp, it's not the US military. It's a totally separate entity, and as far as I can tell, it's done much good work internationally. No it's not perfect, but it's not a bad organization overall, though I'd argue that it has not been as fully exploited by the US as it could have been as an opportunity to educate the population, which is why I'd proposed the addition of education in exchange. It's an idea that reeks of colonialism. The worlds been there and done that. When the Chinese peace corp gets here you'll fathom my point.

So what is it about the US Peace Corp that you're so opposed to?

Where's the beef/peace? The US peace corp was always an extension of US policy by other means, other than peace. Where could the common wealth (if it were to remain extant by some supreme intervention/miracle) find people stupid enough to believe peace would be delivered by former bombing and strafeing types. What you're selling is roughly equivilent to Nazi Germany making the same benevolent offer to it's newly flattened conquests. It will fly like a lead pelican.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Where's the beef/peace? The US peace corp was always an extension of US policy by other means, other than peace. Where could the common wealth (if it were do remain extant by some supreme intervention/miracle) find people stupid enough to believe peace would be delivered by former bombing and strafeing types. What you're selling is roughly equivilent to Nazi Germany making the same benevolent offer to it's newly flattened conquests. It will fly like a lead pelican.

Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the US Peace Corp was ever used for political motives? I'm not saying that's never happened, but just curious as to your sources. Also, even if it should be proven true, I don't see why a Peace Corp would necessarily have to be tarnished by the actions of governments that have tried to use it wrongfully. I still think the basic concept of a Peace Corp in its own right is a good idea. Beyond rhetoric, what real fault have you revealed about it so far?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Do you have any evidence to back up your claim that the US Peace Corp was ever used for political motives? I'm not saying that's never happened, but just curious as to your sources. Also, even if it should be proven true, I don't see why a Peace Corp would necessarily have to be tarnished by the actions of governments that have tried to use it wrongfully. I still think the basic concept of a Peace Corp in its own right is a good idea. Beyond rhetoric, what real fault have you revealed about it so far?

see Blums Rogue Nation and about a thousand other publications,

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Would this Peace Corp be far cheaper than the private security teams we hire now to protect CDN resource developers in foreign countries? I hope so cuz i'd like to charge more for working under such radical measures.

Thanks,