Prime Minister Appoints 5 Senators

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Today The Right Honourable Stephen Harper P.C., M.P. (Calgary Southwest), the Prime Minister, published the names of five candidates to be recommended for appointment to the Honourable the Senate of Canada. Once these senators-to-be are sworn in (the appointments themselves were made on the prime minister’s advice by Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D., the Governor General), the prime minister will have tipped the balance of power in the Upper House in the governing party’s favour.

Favourable Appointments

Amongst the prime minister’s five nominations is The Honourable Senator Pierre-Hugues Boisvenu (La Salle). Senator Boisvenu launched the Murdered or Missing Persons’ Families’ Association upon the murder of his own daughter, and has also led in the creation of a shelter for abused women and a camp for youth who are underprivileged. The honourable senator will be representing the La Salle region of Québec (Québec’s senators each represent a specific senatorial division, whereas all other senators represent the entire province).

Obviously Partisan Appointments

The Honourable Senator Robert Runciman (Ontario) was also appointed today; the honourable senator was a recent Leader of the Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario. When Senator Runciman was a party leader, the honourable senator was recognised as a more right-wing conservative; he is noted for having suggested that there are some Black Canadians who make a living off of reverse racism, for improperly disclosing the names of young offenders contrary to Canadian law, and for having called The Honourable Belinda Stronach P.C. “an attractive ... dipstick”.

The Honourable Senator Elizabeth Marshall Q.C. (Newfoundland and Labrador) is another person appointed to the Senate today. Until this appointment, the honourable senator represented the Progressive Conservative Party of Newfoundland and Labrador as a member of the House of Assembly. Senator Marshall had been a minister under the leadership of The Honourable Danny Williams Q.C., Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, but stepped down from the executive when the premier insisted upon balancing the province’s budget.

Ms. Rose-May Poirier M.L.A. (Rogersville—Kouchibouquac), of the Legislative Assembly of New Brunswick, will be appointed to the Senate on 28 February. The honourable senator has served as a provincial minister for several years. Her appointment has been delayed until the end of February so that the Legislative Assembly doesn’t need to pay for a by-election before the next general election is scheduled.

‘Meh’ Appointments

The Honourable Senator Vim Kochhar (Ontario) was appointed today as an Ontario businessman.

Current Standings in the Senate
  • 50* seats for Her Majesty’s Government for Canada in the Senate
  • 49 seats for Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition in the Senate
  • 2 seats for the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada
  • 3 seats for honourable senators who are non-aligned
  • 1* seat that is vacant
    * On 28 February, the vacant seat becomes a Government seat
Source

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Thank you for your opinion on the value of the senators. I was curious who the appointment from NB would be, can't say I know enough about Ms Poirier to have any opinion on her.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Good. Now we'll have a bit more common sense in the exhalted upper house. It's about time PM Harper did this...I was wondering what was taking him so long.

I think the terms "partisan" and "favourable" appointments are not necessary in the post. They're all perfectly legitimate appointments, done in accordance with the rules. Otherwise, the GG wouldn't have done her job. And she did, obviously.

Congratulations, Prime Minister Harper!

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
They were legitimate and constitutional appointments, of course, at no point did I dispute this.

However, the prime minister has made a habit of making the most hyperpartisan appointments that we have ever seen to the Upper House, and he’s also made his current appointments (and the round before this) swear allegiance to his specific agenda. Basically, he’s made it so that his honourable senators are not free to make the best decisions for Canadians, but must at all times vote to defend the Conservative Party, else resign.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
They were legitimate and constitutional appointments, of course, at no point did I dispute this.

However, the prime minister has made a habit of making the most hyperpartisan appointments that we have ever seen to the Upper House, and he’s also made his current appointments (and the round before this) swear allegiance to his specific agenda. Basically, he’s made it so that his honourable senators are not free to make the best decisions for Canadians, but must at all times vote to defend the Conservative Party, else resign.

I think he is implementing a very difficult strategy of moving toward a proposal for an elected Senate. He is a shrewd strategist - his skills on that are light years ahead of anything else I see in the Opposition parties at this point in time. I also think he is honing his skills, or perhaps shoring up his weaknesses in the people skills department too, but it's taking some time. Let's see what develops...if nothing else, it promises to be an interesting year. Or, maybe a few months.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
the funny part is that a certain percentage of appointed senators are PC conservative that really don't care about the Reform wing of the Conservative party and the PMO will have a rude awakening when the House resumes in March

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
When Senator Runciman was a party leader, the honourable senator was recognised as a more right-wing conservative; he is noted for having suggested that there are some Black Canadians who make a living off of reverse racism, for improperly disclosing the names of young offenders contrary to Canadian law, and for having called The Honourable Belinda Stronach P.C. “an attractive ... dipstick”.

May not agree with Runciman on Black Canadians or disclosing young offender's names - though that law should be stricken from the books, but he is right on the money with his description of B.S. :lol:

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
May not agree with Runciman on Black Canadians or disclosing young offender's names - though that law should be stricken from the books, but he is right on the money with his description of B.S. :lol:

Personally, I think he was wayyyy too kind in his description of Belinda......

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
He was right on his opinion of black Canadians and young offenders.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
When, oh when will there be an honest person who - when appointed to the Senate by any Prime Minister of any stripe - will tell the Prime Minister: "Thank you, Sir, but no thanks. I prefer to EARN my keep, rather than get your dole for kissing your butt!"

The late Jean Bellivue came the closest to it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Politics in Canuckville is a joke. And Canadians bear the brunt of the joke.
I like Anna's idea of a senate: regular people appointed by regular people (no politicians need apply).

Hmmm, if members of this this forum are examples of 'regular people', the country would be in deep sh!t if that happened :roll:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
When, oh when will there be an honest person who - when appointed to the Senate by any Prime Minister of any stripe - will tell the Prime Minister: "Thank you, Sir, but no thanks. I prefer to EARN my keep, rather than get your dole for kissing your butt!"

They don't get appointed to the Senate, because they turn it down.

Why do you think Senators don't do any work?

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia

You saw what had to be signed did you, and did it say they must vote with the PM? That would be called coersion, punishable by the Laws of Canada, I do believe. What they did have to sign (I have a personal Friend that was appointed in the last round) was that they would resign if it was ever made law, to elect Senators, and they would then be free to seek election.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Hmmm, if members of this this forum are examples of 'regular people', the country would be in deep sh!t if that happened :roll:
You'd prefer politicians? That's what we have now and Canada is far from being what it could be as a result.
The Swiss have kept their hands on the power rather than relinquish it to political "representatives" and they have a better country in the political and economical sense than we have.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

I wanna be a Senator! WAH!!!!!!

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
hypocrisy thy name is Harper, wasn't this the same PM who's been saying all along he won't play the old game and appoint senators to sit in the upper house. Now he's going to try and use his position there to push through his agenda.

Just one more indication that expediency takes precedence over principle with Harper. But I guess that's stating the obvious.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Big deal.... Next Lib in there will stack the deck with Liberals. Where is this elected Senate?[/quote]Now that the Cons have control of the upper house the elected senate will be along shortly.