The Republic of Canada

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Is there a way to make our Parlimentary system work in it's current form or is it time to change to another democratic system such as a Republic like the US?

In recent years we've seen how a minority government has abused it's powers and manipulated the Parliment and the media in an attempt to forward an agenda few in this country even understand. Before that the majority Liberals seemed to feel that public coffers were available for party needs.

Transitioning would be a complex and intensive exercise, would it even be possible to create a new more representational government in a nation as diverse as Canada?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If anything I would prefer a democratic republic more like what the Swiss have. The republic that the States has is no better than this oligarchy we have, whereas the Swiss people are the power of Switzerland, not their politicians. It's been termed the most democratic country in the world because of this its democracy.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
If anything I would prefer a democratic republic more like what the Swiss have. The republic that the States has is no better than this oligarchy we have, whereas the Swiss people are the power of Switzerland, not their politicians. It's been termed the most democratic country in the world because of this its democracy.

Interesting, I'll have to do some reading up on Switzerland.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Switzerland has referendums, a populist proposal scoffed at by Canada's elites. But every ten years or so we need one.

Oh yes, Quebec can have referendums, but not the other provinces or Canada as a whole.

In Switz, they discuss issues and vote. Can't get more democratic than that.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ah! A little humour is a good thing, especially when discussing politics.
I vote for the North Korea model.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Okay, enough humour and getting off topic. darkbeaver, no kidding

We have a strong and profound bond with Israel our Government says and our opposition agrees not to oppose. The papers are signed. What are the details? I hope you're not suggesting that Israel represents something less than an ideal democratic model, as claimed on numerous and diverse occasions. If you think there's anything in what I said remotely funny you have been deceived yourself. Is it that you don't think Israel is a democratic country? They're our allies.:p

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We do not have enough mountains for the Swiss model. We may be forced to build our own government, a brand new shinny model with automatic steering. Would we be allowed to? Well you know we are globally integrated, we have to consider the international community. That one not the big one.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We have a strong and profound bond with Israel our Government says and our opposition agrees not to oppose. The papers are signed. What are the details? I hope you're not suggesting that Israel represents something less than an ideal democratic model, as claimed on numerous and diverse occasions. If you think there's anything in what I said remotely funny you have been deceived yourself. Is it that you don't think Israel is a democratic country? They're our allies.:p

The media has a problem, they call countries like the Phiippines a democracy too. Israel fights numerous wars, does not treat people equally and still they are called a democracy.

Israel is called the Jewish state. I don't equate religion with democracy, although many Canadians seem to and politicians offer Israel regular support. The Philippines is also offered support by our government, called a democracy, although it kills many journalists each year. Which makes me worry about govts.

Asia has what are called democratic govts, but the people there do not, by and large, believe in democracy like the Swiss do. Capitalists wish to make "energing markets" more enticing to investors, who often care little about ordinary people or democracy.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Is there a way to make our Parlimentary system work in it's current form or is it time to change to another democratic system such as a Republic like the US?

In recent years we've seen how a minority government has abused it's powers and manipulated the Parliment and the media in an attempt to forward an agenda few in this country even understand. Before that the majority Liberals seemed to feel that public coffers were available for party needs.

Transitioning would be a complex and intensive exercise, would it even be possible to create a new more representational government in a nation as diverse as Canada?

Chances are you'd never get anybody to agree on the model.

Reactions: vinod1975

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Getting back to the Swiss system. Politicians talk of "downloading" responsibilities, which means money, generally. Yet the Swiss are very democraic and they have referendums on key questions. The US has far too many, while we have too few, well, none lately.

Except Quebec of course, they can have all the referendums they want and the elites just yawn.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Here are a few easy to implement ideas that would make the system more democratic.

Post the minutes of cabinet meetings on the internet the day after the meeting as Sweden does, instead of keeping them secret for 30 years.
Introduce some sense of decorum into Parliament instead of allowing the shouting and continual interruptions of speakers that is the norm today. If the Americans can do this then so can we.
Pass legislation to create more representative voting such as proportional representation as is the case in New Zealand and many European democracies.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
How would it be run if the Indians ran the Gov and the imported people and the business just paid a flat rent or a cut of the gross profits? In return for that money they would provide what is provided today. How would they handle foreign politics?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How would it be run if the Indians ran the Gov and the imported people and the business just paid a flat rent or a cut of the gross profits? In return for that money they would provide what is provided today. How would they handle foreign politics?
Let's see, they were purposely kept ignorant and in poverty for over 100 years and the ones who managed to "rise above their station" are now better at being white than most whites. The country would still be run by lawyers and accountants, so don't expect anything to change.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I sort of meant using their solutions that were in place before Chris ran aground. That would include all the different Tribes would be like Provinces ans States. Could it have handled 300 million people? They had a 'court system' and I doubt ant case took 20 years to complete.