Bring Back the Queen

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Seeing as how our PM keeps running to the Queens representative whenever he gets in over his head perhaps we should return to a more stable and less complex form of government. Instead of all the huge expense of elections and paying for several hundred MP who've basically been sidelined by a leader who has little concept of what democracy really means we'll just send a few mill across the pond and Liz can take over.

If we're going to ruled by someone with delusions of grandeur I say bring in a real pro...

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Perhaps there’s some confusion over our constitutional arrangements.

Her Majesty the Queen of Canada does not ‘rule’—rather, Her Majesty ‘reigns’. As much as many here would like to describe the prime minister’s request for prorogation as ‘undemocratic’, or any other number of delicious soundbites, the real fact of the matter is that prorogation is an administrative necessity for our system of Government to function appropriately. Yes, the prime minister’s motives for prorogation were questionable, but nonetheless it is the right (and properly so) of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada to lead Government business in both Houses of the Parliament of Canada. The Government’s actions are legitimate by the very fact that Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, and the other opposition parties, have confirmed the democratic confidence of Canadians in this Government dozens of times during the previous session through the votes of the House of Commons.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well I think the Cobalt Kid wants a return of when the King/Queen ruled as well as reigned. Perhaps you can invite the House of Windsor to conquer Canada bloodlessly as the Brits did.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Perhaps there’s some confusion over our constitutional arrangements.

Her Majesty the Queen of Canada does not ‘rule’—rather, Her Majesty ‘reigns’. As much as many here would like to describe the prime minister’s request for prorogation as ‘undemocratic’, or any other number of delicious soundbites, the real fact of the matter is that prorogation is an administrative necessity for our system of Government to function appropriately. Yes, the prime minister’s motives for prorogation were questionable, but nonetheless it is the right (and properly so) of Her Majesty’s Government for Canada to lead Government business in both Houses of the Parliament of Canada. The Government’s actions are legitimate by the very fact that Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, and the other opposition parties, have confirmed the democratic confidence of Canadians in this Government dozens of times during the previous session through the votes of the House of Commons.

I was being facetious not techical. And prorogation is there to serve the needs of the nation not the political needs of one party or even one man. It's the role of the opposition to provide effective criticism of the government, even during WW II there was intense debate in the House over the policies of the King government, this at a time when thousands of Canadians were serving(and dying) overseas and U-Boats were coming as close to Ottawa as the St.Lawrence river. Dissolving Parliment because he can't handle the fallout of his own incompetence is abrogating the spirit if not the letter of the Parlimentary system, something Harper has shown less than clear respect for from the very start(evidenced by things like bringing on board a Liberal MP before the ballots had even cooled in 2006).

Playing around with the details while chipping away at the foundations of our Parlimentary system is disingenuous if not outright dishonest. We got rid of the Liberals for playing silly buggers with our government, it's more than time to do the same with the conservatives, especially since they claimed to be the remedy of this nonsense when they ran for Parliment in 2006. Let's not forget that we don't elect a Prime Minister, we elect a Parliment whose membership determines who will form the government. with no Parliment we have no government, a concept that Harper seems to have a very difficult time understanding.

He's now talking about major reforms like abolishing the senate and other withspread changes to our system, considering the black hole that the PMO has become under the current administration I find it problematic that such important changes are being contemplated in this political environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiveParadox

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Well I think the Cobalt Kid wants a return of when the King/Queen ruled as well as reigned. Perhaps you can invite the House of Windsor to conquer Canada bloodlessly as the Brits did.

I was simply making the point that in a sense the PM was falling back on the Monarchy for support in dealing with problems he and his party created, perhaps we should take this nonsense to it's ultimate conclusion... consistently circumventing and neutralizing the Parliment may serve Harpers immediate needs but it establishes a destabilizing and corrosive environment... we already have one party who's goals are the dismemberment of the nation, we don't need a PM who seems incapable of seeing beyond the next crisis.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
He's now talking about major reforms like abolishing the senate and other withspread changes to our system, considering the black hole that the PMO has become under the current administration I find it problematic that such important changes are being contemplated in this political environment.

Abolishing the Senate? I thought the talk was about reforming the Senate (to an elected body, ultimately). I might have that wrong though...

Based on what I read, some changes and improvements to "the system" might be welcomed by those who find fault with the way the current setup operates. I'm curious about your statement "I find it problematic that such important changes are being contemplated in this political environment." Is there another type of environment that would be better?

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Bloodlessly? *snorts*

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Abolishing the Senate? I thought the talk was about reforming the Senate (to an elected body, ultimately). I might have that wrong though...

Based on what I read, some changes and improvements to "the system" might be welcomed by those who find fault with the way the current setup operates. I'm curious about your statement "I find it problematic that such important changes are being contemplated in this political environment." Is there another type of environment that would be better?
A few fathoms subsurface would do. lol

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Some people appear to have missed a few classes in high school, or they do not
understand how a constitutional Monarchy works. The Prime Minister is in fact required to consult with the Governor General and by law she does not have to rubber
stamp his request.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Some people appear to have missed a few classes in high school, or they do not understand how a constitutional Monarchy works. The Prime Minister is in fact required to consult with the Governor General and by law she does not have to rubber stamp his request.

By convention she does have to rubber stamp, by law, I would agree, no.

If you have no substantial job, then you rubber stamp. The GG could have offered some sound constitutional reason to deny Harper from proroguing Parliament, but got rolled with a phone call. In hockey terms, the GG is a pylon, not a player.

Great job, great pay, awesome house, no responsibility. I want the job.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
By convention she does have to rubber stamp, by law, I would agree, no.

If you have no substantial job, then you rubber stamp. The GG could have offered some sound constitutional reason to deny Harper from proroguing Parliament, but got rolled with a phone call. In hockey terms, the GG is a pylon, not a player.

Great job, great pay, awesome house, no responsibility. I want the job.

You might want to consider changing the avatar title before applying for the job! :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
The current GG might be tighter on the purse strings, but the whole rotten monarchial infrastructure costs us needless millions.

You have a point there. I don't have a huge problem with the monarchial side of things at this point - I think there are bigger fish to fry (;-) you mentioned fish earlier :lol:) on a bunch of other money-costing fronts.

If anything, the bit of pomp and circumstance associated with the monarchy might well be one of the "glues" holding the country together!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
If you got it, you'd soon find out the "no responsibility" part isn't true. You might usefully study up a bit on what the G-G actually does.

While in the political spotlight, the GG had a chance to briefly point the sharp end of a political stick at the Harper govt over proroguing Parliament, but declined.

Obviously she was very busy with other critical duties. Name one.