Parliament makes Canada unstable: PM

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, a prorogued Parliament means more instability. If you follow his logic...confidence votes, favoured by Harper, create instability. He's making the case for the opposition parties: Harper creates instability.

OTTAWA — Parliament is creating an image of instability for Canada in global markets -- and it isn't a bad thing that it has been suspended until the beginning of March, Prime Minister Stephen Harper suggested on Monday.

In an interview with BNN television, Harper was asked if Canada's reputation as a stable democracy will suffer from his prorogation of Parliament. Harper said there was "zero risk" of that.

In fact, he said it's when Parliament is sitting that Canada's stability comes into question. That's when "the games begin," he said, and his minority Conservative government faces the constant threat of defeat and an election.

"As soon as Parliament comes back, we're in a minority Parliament situation and the first thing that happens is a vote of confidence and there will be votes of confidence and election speculation for every single week after that for the rest of the year," he said.

"That's the kind of instability I think that markets are actually worried about. But you know the government will be well-prepared and I think Canadians want to see us focus on the economy."

"So that's what we're going to be doing."
More here.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
In other countries this type of stunt for shutting down parliment for no valid reason would trigger a civil war and considering that some of the population are from those type of countries, the Conservative government just lit a match for that type of action.

Just when you thought the Conservatives will win a majority another skeleton falls out of their closet

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Dear Harper,
Democracy is soooo unstable. There's more than one person making decisions. But, I'm sure you've thought of this!
As always,
Your cousin Spade!
PS
Does "recalibrate" mean "shoot your mouth off again"?

Slim Chance

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2009
From the Leader-Post: Chretien also prorogued

There are those in the Opposition who say this is undemocratic. However, before the Liberals complain about Parliament being prorogued as undemocratic, may they be reminded that Jean Chretien prorogued Parliament four times during his tenure as prime minister. These occurred on Feb. 5, 1996; Sept. 18, 1999; Sept. 16, 2002; and Nov. 12, 2003.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
From the Leader-Post: Chretien also prorogued

There are those in the Opposition who say this is undemocratic. However, before the Liberals complain about Parliament being prorogued as undemocratic, may they be reminded that Jean Chretien prorogued Parliament four times during his tenure as prime minister. These occurred on Feb. 5, 1996; Sept. 18, 1999; Sept. 16, 2002; and Nov. 12, 2003.

Is Chretien the bar that Conservatives are aiming for now? Pretty low standards if you ask me. Go figure.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Normally, sessions of Parliament are prorogued after the legislation that was mentioned in the Speech from the Throne is introduced, and passed into law. This is not, dear Cousin Slim Chance, what is happening here. The legislation Harper's government introduced dies flaccid and must be reintroduced, from scratch. This prorogation appears to have been done solely to avoid scrutiny.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, Question Period seems to bring out a bit of "instability" (if not insanity), so at least that goes away for a little while...

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Do you put sour cream on parliament perogies?

I think it starts out as fresh, sweet cream, but - like many things - by the time it gets finished running the gauntlet of parliamentary "debate", committee work, and a few public scrums, it ends up being soured by the whole experience. :lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I think it starts out as fresh, sweet cream, but - like many things - by the time it gets finished running the gauntlet of parliamentary "debate", committee work, and a few public scrums, it ends up being soured by the whole experience. :lol:
No shortage of pigs for bacon either .

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Observation by S. Harper during the holidays!
Quote from the horse's mouth:
"Parliament is not stable!"