What happened to the $54 billion surplus

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
That money could help to do a lot of things, fix up our military, all kinds of things. Seems stupid to just let it lay there. Did Harper spend it?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The EI surplus exists only on paper. EI does not have its own bank account, it is all done through general revenue. Cretin and company were using this overpayment(tax) to use for debt reduction. Just more flawed liberal sleight of hand financing mostly on the belief that either employment would remain high forever and the debt would be payed off or they would be out of power when the house of cards came crashing down. Turned out to be the latter.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The EI surplus exists only on paper. EI does not have its own bank account, it is all done through general revenue. Cretin and company were using this overpayment(tax) to use for debt reduction. Just more flawed liberal sleight of hand financing mostly on the belief that either employment would remain high forever and the debt would be payed off or they would be out of power when the house of cards came crashing down. Turned out to be the latter.

I don't know if that is true or not. The Auditor General seems to think it is real money.

CBC News - Money - EI surplus balloons to $51 billion

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Ok, I can't resist. Once in awhile my ex husband could be funny, and the topic of missing money, he would always reply 'burp'. :lol:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

How can we possibly have money "lying around"? That makes absolutely no sense. We have the highest unemployment rate in years, we've just come off a summer with record forest fire fighting expenses and now we are into a pandemic (on paper at least), which must be sucking up $millions, oil and gas production is way down, lumber production and exports are almost neglible and inspite of all this people are still crying "more, more, more". I saw Debra McPherson, whining again as usual needing more money to run the health system, sickening, that one ministry takes more of our money than 3 or 4 others combined. People who aren't hurting should SHUT UP.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I don't know if that is true or not. The Auditor General seems to think it is real money.

I agree with you juan.. How long can the present government keep blaming the past one for their incompetence ?

We are talking major EI funding dollars that should be available for those hit by the hard times. Why should we be using deficit money when this funding should already be there and what has happened to this fund if it has gone ? Where is the accountability ?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The premiums were certainly collected from the taxpayer.......the wage earner and the employer. If this money was spirited into some accounting limbo, surely the auditor general would catch that and report it. It might be possible to lose a few million but 54 billion........Not possible... :roll:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Plus 30 Billion from the Civil Service - Military and RCMP Pension Fund - Where are all the Liberals gone -

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
2007 old news perhaps but still begs the question of where did 54 billion dollars disappear too ?

Why is it that when it disappears for Liberals its automatically fraud and we should care but if its under Conservatives we need not worry ?

All I care about is where the money went too.. Where is the money..

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
2007 old news perhaps but still begs the question of where did 54 billion dollars disappear too ?

But it's not 2007. This has been going on for over 10 years. The link I posted was from 1999

Why is it that when it disappears for Liberals its automatically fraud and we should care but if its under Conservatives we need not worry ?

Who has said that?

All I care about is where the money went too.. Where is the money..

General revenues.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
But it's not 2007. This has been going on for over 10 years. The link I posted was from 1999

juan's news link dated 2007.

Stories can start at one point but can continue. EI is a big file in the government coffers. Your 1999 link states 21 billion and nothing close the 54 billion.

Who has said that?

I did..

General revenues.

Where is the proof ?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
juan's news link dated 2007.

I know the date of Juan's link. That's irrelevant. The problem is at least a decade old.

Stories can start at one point but can continue. EI is a big file in the government coffers. Your 1999 link states 21 billion and nothing close the 54 billion.

The rate of growth has been fairly consistent since 1996.

No you didn't. You claimed others did. Integrity suggests (if not demands) that you point out who you are referring to. Otherwise your statement just looks like more Liberal Party propaganda.

Where is the proof ?

Google "Supreme, Court, EI, Surplus." There's lots out there. The Supreme court sided with the government BTW.