Queen Honours Cretien

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This was announced by Buckingham Palace quite some time ago.

Despite whatever conservatives may feel, the fact is that The Right Honourable Jean Chrétien P.C., O.M., C.C., Q.C., the 20th Prime Minister of Canada, was absolutely instrumental in the passage of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms and the repatriation of the Constitution Acts, 1867–1982. Mr. Chrétien oversaw the balancing of the Canadian books, and ensured that we would have a strong economy and a strong budgetary framework moving forward into the twenty-first century. The Order of Merit is an exclusive and prestigious order, and Canadians spanning the country should be very excited and proud to have another Canadian amongst the ranks.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Cretien hath brought many honours home to Ottawa,
Whose sponsorships did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Cretien seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Cretien hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Stephen says he was ambitious;
And Stephen is an honourable man.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Cretien hath brought many honours home to Ottawa,
Whose sponsorships did the general coffers fill:
Did this in Cretien seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Cretien hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Stephen says he was ambitious;
And Stephen is an honourable man.
lol That's cute. :)

Anyway, maybe QE2 is part of the Nobel Peace Prize committee?
Shawinigate, Shawinigate
look at all the ribbons I rate.

big

Time Out
Oct 15, 2009
Quebec
In a way, what the Queen says today is that anything goes when it comes to keep Quebec inside Canada.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
She may have to retract the honor to save face. Or the diplomat may have to deny he said those things. Oy vey! The path of diplomacy is a tricky one.:canada:
Yeah, but it's funny sometimes. Maybe QE2 is becoming like good ol Ronnie Reagan in her later years. She'll forget what palace or castle she's in, start calling people by other people's names, etc. lmao "Queen Elisabeth honors Saddam Hussein posthumously for his humanitarian works. Ooops, that was supposed to be Mother Teresa". lmao

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, but it's funny sometimes. Maybe QE2 is becoming like good ol Ronnie Reagan in her later years. She'll forget what palace or castle she's in, start calling people by other people's names, etc. lmao "Queen Elisabeth honors Saddam Hussein posthumously for his humanitarian works. Ooops, that was supposed to be Mother Teresa". lmao

Age is the great equalizer. Even the clearest mind can be humbled by dementia and memory loss. She seems to be holding up well though.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I had some trouble discerning who was the WORST Prime Minister in Canadian history.

It was between Mulroney and Chretien.. Mulroney for his gutless capitulation to American and Global interests in dismantling Canadian sovereignty in the FTA.

..Chretien for entrenching the same in NAFTA, after promising to dismantle it, as well as legitimizing abortion and homosexuality (sorry cliffy, but it's there), the latter a product of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which he was instrumental in incorporating in the Canadian Constitution.

I finally picked Chretien as the worst, because of he lied about reversing Mulroney's direction, and has lived like a welfare junkie off patronage and corruption (atleast Mulroney was made to admit his sleaze).

But they were basically both little chicken****s. They love getting these meaningless honours, which really mean nothing. :smile:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I had some trouble discerning who was the WORST Prime Minister in Canadian history.

It was between Mulroney and Chretien.. Mulroney for his gutless capitulation to American and Global interests in dismantling Canadian sovereignty in the FTA.

..Chretien for entrenching the same in NAFTA, after promising to dismantle it, as well as legitimizing abortion and homosexuality (sorry cliffy, but it's there), the latter a product of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which he was instrumental in incorporating in the Canadian Constitution.

I finally picked Chretien as the worst, because of he lied about reversing Mulroney's direction, and has lived like a welfare junkie off patronage and corruption (atleast Mulroney was made to admit his sleaze).

But they were basically both little chicken****s. They love getting these meaningless honours, which really mean nothing. :smile:
Certainly of the ones that are living still. But I would add Martin, too. "The Red Book. Don't talk Red Book to me!! I wrote the god damned thing and I know it's a pile of crap". His buddy Alan Rock with his pet project the multibillion dollar firearms registry, etc.