Conservatives Tame The Canadian Post Office

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/nat/2009/09-h128e.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/infosheets/canadapost.htm

The Canadian post office has been re-baptized by the hands of the Conservative government and has been bestowed a new service charter so that all Canadians from coast to coast to coast may rejoice that Sir Canada Post has arrived with a fancy new charter will finally get those lazy postal workers off their behinds and do some work which is the stereotype that the public has of them.

According to the new charter the Conservatives have placed a moratorium on any more closures of the post offices and letters will take two days within the community and three days within the province and four days across Canada to get to their destination except the out of the way places or the ones who live close to Santa Clause.

The new charter expects the post office to operate from their revenues, which means the government will not give any more handouts to the crown corporation.

Every five years the post office has to give a progress report to the government.

The new service charter gives the right to the post office to give the public one-month notice when they want to change something like changing to the door service to community mailbox service, which they want to do in big cities.

Every year there will be annual meeting so that the public can have input into their post office.

Maybe some one can explain this clause to me because this one doesn’t make any sense?

10. Canada Post will provide retail postal outlets, including both corporate post offices and private dealer operated outlets which are conveniently located and operated, so that:

- 98 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 15 km

- 88 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 5 km

- 78 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 2.5 km.

Is it the same person that did the federal deficit forecasts?

During the Mulroney years the Canadian post office was transformed from a tax suck!ng bureaucratic government company to a lean mean corporate model that was the envy of all at the time and has continued provided income for the government which they happily took for their other programs.

If they really want to improve their customer service they should get rid of their automated recordings and get live people to transfer calls.

Will this new charter give a better image to the post office time will tell.

It was nice of the Conservatives release this now because I hear the federal political scene is about to get real choppy.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It was announced a few weeks ago that Canada Post was going to be sold and become a private business so in my opinion - this is good news.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
It was announced a few weeks ago that Canada Post was going to be sold and become a private business so in my opinion - this is good news.

Except for people who live in places where the profit incentive means a lack of services. Want to cut costs? How about those rural routes? Yeah, great news!

mit

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2008
SouthWestern Ontario
Canada Post has brought $400 million in revenue to it's owners in the last few years. It operates at a profit - owns Purolator for those who forget - Is transitioning to a logistics provider as mail other than Roger's Cable flyers has gone electronic for the most part. Canada Post is a key cog in our economic future that is slowly shifting from Global to Local/regional economies. It has the most potential to be a driving force in opening up the North.

No wonder Harper has it on his list of assets to be reviewed.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Sometimes I wish Canada Post was a bit like the US Postal Service. Those USPS investigators are pretty much the same thing as cops, yet ours are simple bureaucrats and other such papershufflers.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Biggest problems with Canada Post is that most postal outlets are in drugstores that are owned by 'whomever'... The clerks are not employed by Canada Post but are employed by the owners of the drugstore. People do not realize this. However, we do our best to satisfy the customer and do what they want. We do have to follow the rules/policies of Canada Post and also quote the minimum standard delivery time.

Chev

Electoral Member
Feb 10, 2009
Alberta
Pardon me.... my error.... Instead of saying 'We do have to follow the rules/policies of Canada Post and also quote the minimum standard delivery time'. I should have said 'We do have to follow the rules/policies of Canada Post and also quote the MAXIMUM standard delivery time'.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I think it probably is, P.O. is no longer an essential service and actually a bit of an albatross- bastards took $40 from me to forward my mail after I moved (and most of it is mail I don't even want).

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Door to door delivery. How quaint. Never had that, ever. Does seem like a make work project .

I've always had my mail delivered. I assumed most people did.....Never thought about it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I've always had my mail delivered. I assumed most people did.....Never thought about it.

When you go in the post office you will notice hundreds of P.O. boxes and if you walk the streets in most communites you will see roadside mail boxes at strategic locations. Now I am receiving delivery to the door for the first time in distant memory.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I still go for a daily run to the mailbox and take the scenic tour on my run back home. The hell if I will run into town for it if rural service is cancelled, though.
I wonder what a $2 stamp looks like.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Somebody needs to do something with the post office! Check this out for a comparison.........

(I hope the moderators will forgive me quoting myself from another thread....)
I recently inherited a massive amount of "stuff" from my Mom's old house.....including about 350 old post cards......mostly post marked between 1904 and 1915. So I got looking......at post marks....Good Lord!!!!

Check it out!

1910: the card dated by the writer Nov. 3.
Post Marked "Boston MASS" Nov 4
Post Marked "Elgin NB" Nov 5!!!!!!!

(Elgin is about 15 klicks outside of Petticodiac, it is back in the hills of New Brunswick!)

One day delivery from Boston to Nowhereville NB. WOW! In 1910.

One day is a little quick.

Two days is standard, card after card after card!

1906 - Same Day post marks Saint John and Fredericton.

1904 - 2 day delivery between Niagra NY and Petticodiac, NB

1910 - 1 day delivery Halifax NS to Elgin NB

1910 - 5 days Winnipeg Manitoba to Elgin NB

1910 - 9 days Edgewood BC to Elgin NB

Now, this cost all of 1 cent postage.

And, to compare, it takes AT LEAST a week for my letters to get from Saint John, NB to my brother in Toronto. AT LEAST a week, two more days than it took to get a letter to Back Woods NB from Winnipeg.......

in 1910! You know, trains chugging, spilling huge clounds of cinder bearing smoke into the air, firemen stripped to the waist, blacked, shoveling coal into the boilers.....straight out of the old western movies.........

I am Gobsmacked........

Reactions: Ron in Regina

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Dredged up from the depths of September. hhmmm
Guess I'll say something. Looks like Harpy didn't pay his electrical bill on time due to tardy postal service, so the company cut him off. lol

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/releases/nat/2009/09-h128e.htm

http://www.tc.gc.ca/mediaroom/infosheets/canadapost.htm

The Canadian post office has been re-baptized by the hands of the Conservative government and has been bestowed a new service charter so that all Canadians from coast to coast to coast may rejoice that Sir Canada Post has arrived with a fancy new charter will finally get those lazy postal workers off their behinds and do some work which is the stereotype that the public has of them.

According to the new charter the Conservatives have placed a moratorium on any more closures of the post offices and letters will take two days within the community and three days within the province and four days across Canada to get to their destination except the out of the way places or the ones who live close to Santa Clause.

The new charter expects the post office to operate from their revenues, which means the government will not give any more handouts to the crown corporation.

Every five years the post office has to give a progress report to the government.

The new service charter gives the right to the post office to give the public one-month notice when they want to change something like changing to the door service to community mailbox service, which they want to do in big cities.

Every year there will be annual meeting so that the public can have input into their post office.

Maybe some one can explain this clause to me because this one doesn’t make any sense?

10. Canada Post will provide retail postal outlets, including both corporate post offices and private dealer operated outlets which are conveniently located and operated, so that:

- 98 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 15 km

- 88 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 5 km

- 78 percent of consumers will have a postal outlet within 2.5 km.

Is it the same person that did the federal deficit forecasts?

During the Mulroney years the Canadian post office was transformed from a tax suck!ng bureaucratic government company to a lean mean corporate model that was the envy of all at the time and has continued provided income for the government which they happily took for their other programs.

If they really want to improve their customer service they should get rid of their automated recordings and get live people to transfer calls.

Will this new charter give a better image to the post office time will tell.

It was nice of the Conservatives release this now because I hear the federal political scene is about to get real choppy.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Somebody needs to do something with the post office! Check this out for a comparison.........

(I hope the moderators will forgive me quoting myself from another thread....)

That is wild Colpy. I remember good service but that all changed when it was decided that Vancouver's mail should be sorted in Toronto....Whatever they did the service has never been as good as it was once. The odd Christmas card still gets delivered in February.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That is wild Colpy. I remember good service but that all changed when it was decided that Vancouver's mail should be sorted in Toronto....Whatever they did the service has never been as good as it was once. The odd Christmas card still gets delivered in February.

I've sent first class mail to Calgary periodically over the past 10 years and all the years we lived in Grand Forks I don't believe a letter reached the destination in less than a week, once, so naturally when there were pickets around the P.O. they didn't get much sympathy from me.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
When you go in the post office you will notice hundreds of P.O. boxes and if you walk the streets in most communites you will see roadside mail boxes at strategic locations. Now I am receiving delivery to the door for the first time in distant memory.
I did when I lived in Vernon too but it depends on where you live. Your area and the one I lived in still get door to door delivery but new areas like Silver Star get to walk down to a central postal drop off. In the house I lived in up to a few days ago, we walked about a block and a half down the street to our mail box. I haven't picked up our mail here yet but I think I have to go to a locked bldg. about 3 doors up. I guess they had some trouble with the mail boxes in here being vandalized.
Remember the old days when they would reduce the cost of mailing Christmas cards so old friends could stay in touch once a year? That went out the window and now people just email a Christmas greeting for the most part.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Takes 3 or 4 days to get a piece of regular mail from the PO in town to a nearby town that's a 6 or 8 hour walk away.
I have no complaints about the people that put miles on walking around delivering mail. It's the bureaucracy and management that screw everything up from what I can see.