Naomi Kline re: TIFF controversy

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This year's TIFF theme is "Spotlight on Tel Aviv". Author and activist Naomi Kline sums up the problem many people have with this theme.

Naomi Klein
Sep. 08, 2009

When I heard the Toronto International Film Festival was holding a celebratory “spotlight” on Tel Aviv I felt ashamed of my city. I thought immediately of Mona Al Shawa, a Palestinian women's-rights activist I met on a recent trip to Gaza. “We had more hope during the attacks,” she told me, “at least then we believed things would change.”

Ms. Al Shawa explained that while Israeli bombs rained down last December and January, Gazans were glued to their TVs. What they saw, in addition to the carnage, was a world rising up in outrage: global protests, as many as a hundred thousand on the streets of London, a group of Jewish women in Toronto occupying the Israeli Consulate. “People called it war crimes,” Ms. Al Shawa recalled. “We felt we were not alone in the world.” If Gazans could just survive them, it seemed these horrors would be the catalyst for change.

But today, Ms. Al Shawa said, that hope is a bitter memory. The international outrage has evaporated. Gaza has vanished from the news. And it seems that all those deaths – as many as 1,400 – were not enough to bring justice. Indeed Israel is refusing to co-operate even with a toothless UN fact-finding mission, headed by respected South African judge Richard Goldstone.

Last Spring, while Mr. Goldstone's mission was in Gaza gathering devastating testimony, the Toronto International Film Festival was selecting movies for its Tel Aviv spotlight, timed with the city's 100th birthday. There are many who would have us believe that there is no connection between Israel's desire to avoid scrutiny for its actions in the occupied territories and this week's glittering Toronto premieres. It's quite possible that Cameron Bailey, TIFF's co-director, believes it himself. He is wrong.

For more than a year, Israeli diplomats have been talking openly about their new strategy to counter growing global anger at Israel's defiance of international law. It's no longer enough, they argue, just to invoke Sderot every time someone raises Gaza. The task is also to change the subject to more pleasant areas: film, arts, gay rights – things that underline commonalities between Israel and places such as Paris and New York. After the Gaza attack, this strategy went into high gear. “We will send well-known novelists and writers overseas, theatre companies, exhibits,” Arye Mekel, deputy director-general for cultural affairs for Israel's Foreign Ministry, told The New York Times. “This way, you show Israel's prettier face, so we are not thought of purely in the context of war.”

Toronto got an early taste of all this. A year ago, Amir Gissin, Israeli consul-general in Toronto, explained that a new “Brand Israel” campaign would include, according to a report in the Canadian Jewish News, “a major Israeli presence at next year's Toronto International Film Festival, with numerous Israeli, Hollywood and Canadian entertainment luminaries on hand.” Mr. Gissin pledged that, “I'm confident everything we plan to do will happen.” Indeed it has.

Let's be clear: No one is claiming the Israeli government is secretly running TIFF's Tel Aviv spotlight, whispering in Mr. Bailey's ear about which films to program. The point is that the festival's decision to give Israel pride of place, holding up Tel Aviv as a “young, dynamic city that, like Toronto, celebrates its diversity,” matches Israel's stated propaganda goals to a T.

It's ironic that TIFF's Tel Aviv programming is being called a spotlight because celebrating that city in isolation – without looking at Gaza, without looking at what is on the other side of the towering concrete walls, barbed wire and checkpoints – actually obscures far more than it illuminates. There are some wonderful Israeli films included in the program. They deserve to be shown as a regular part of the festival, liberated from this highly politicized frame.

This is the context in which a small group of us drafted The Toronto Declaration: No Celebration Under Occupation, which has been signed by the likes of Danny Glover and Ken Loach (we will be unveiling hundreds of new names on the first day of TIFF). Contrary to the many misrepresentations, the letter is not calling for a boycott of the festival. It is a simple message of solidarity that says: We don't feel like partying with Israel this year. It is also a small way of saying to Mona Al Shawa and millions of other Palestinians living under occupation and siege that we have not forgotten them, and we are still outraged.

Naomi Klein is a Toronto author

We don't feel like celebrating with Israel this year - The Globe and Mail
If you don't know what Naomi Kline is talking about, here is detailed report by Amnesty International's regarding Israel's actions in Gaza December 2008-January 2009 which killed approximately 1400 people, injured another 5000 and destroyed thousands of homes and civilian infrastructure:

Israel/Gaza: Operation "Cast Lead": 22 days of death and destruction | Amnesty International

The above report details Israel's use of human shields, chemical weapon attacks against civilians, deliberate killing of hundreds of Palestinian civilians... and many other shocking atrocities.

Want a bigger picture?

Amnesty International's 2009 annual report regarding Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories:
Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories

Israeli forces launched a military offensive on an unprecedented scale – code-named “Operation Cast Lead” – on 27 December in the Gaza Strip, killing many civilians and destroying homes and other civilian property. Earlier in the year there had been a marked upsurge in killings of civilians and others by both Israeli forces and Palestinian armed groups in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT) before a ceasefire was agreed in June (see Palestinian Authority entry). Some 70 children were among the 425 Palestinians killed in the first half of the year. In addition to the large-scale destruction of homes and property in the Gaza Strip, Israeli forces also destroyed scores of Palestinian homes in the West Bank and in Bedouin villages in the south of Israel. Throughout the year, the Israeli army maintained stringent restrictions on the movement of Palestinians in the OPT, including a blockade on the Gaza Strip, which caused an unprecedented level of humanitarian hardship and virtually imprisoned the entire population of 1.5 million. This was further exacerbated by the Israeli offensive launched on 27 December. Hundreds of patients with serious medical conditions requiring treatment not available in local hospitals were refused passage out of Gaza; several died. Hundreds of students could not travel to their universities abroad because they could not leave Gaza, where many fields of study are not available. Most of Gaza’s inhabitants depended on international aid, but the Israeli blockade hampered the ability of UN agencies to provide assistance and services. In the West Bank the movement of Palestinians was severely curtailed by some 600 Israeli checkpoints and barriers, and by the 700km fence/wall which the Israeli army continued to build mostly inside the West Bank. The expansion of illegal Israeli settlements on seized Palestinian land increased to a level not seen since 2001. Israeli soldiers and settlers who committed serious abuses against Palestinians, including unlawful killings, assaults and attacks against property, enjoyed impunity in most cases. Hundreds of Palestinians were arrested by Israeli forces; reports of torture and other ill-treatment were frequent, but investigations were rare. Some 8,000 Palestinians remained in Israeli prisons, many after unfair military trials....

Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories | Amnesty International Report 2009
Canadians and the world need to see Israel as it is, warts and all. Only then will the world demand freedom and justice for millions of oppressed Palestinians. No other human rights catastrophe has lasted as long or affected so many people.

I agree with Naomi Kline. Canada and events like the TIFF should not assist the Israeli propaganda ministry.

Last edited:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Things like a film festival should try to stay out of politics.

But that aint gonna happen, so the best solution is to ignore the whole thing.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
I agree that cultural events like TIFF should stay out of politics. I disagree that the world should ignore oppression and injustice, especially when it affects millions of people.

Cultural events often raise money for charity or help raise awareness of humanitarian catastrophes. What's going on in Israel and the Occupied Palestinian Territories qualifies as a humanitarian catastrophe.

In a way, Palestinians hoping that the outside world will finally recognize their 60 years + of suffering should be grateful. If the Israeli propaganda ministry hadn't hijacked the TIFF, thousands of people including many famous celebrities wouldn't be signing the "Toronto Declaration: No Celebration Under Occupation".

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
I agree that cultural events like TIFF should stay out of politics. I disagree that the world should ignore oppression and injustice, especially when it affects millions of people.

But now you have to pick sides and figure out who's the oppressor, and who's the victim.

Good luck with that, let us know when you figure it out.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Things like a film festival should try to stay out of politics."

"I agree that cultural events like TIFF should stay out of politics."

Ii is to be hoped that the liberal beached whales, Michael Moore and Al Gore will heed your advise.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Such a shame those damned Israelis keep getting uppity when people try to murder them all........damn Naomi Klein would have made a great Kapo in Auschwitz....denial of her own people to the very end.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Such a shame those damned Israelis keep getting uppity when people try to murder them all........damn Naomi Klein would have made a great Kapo in Auschwitz....denial of her own people to the very end.

It's not exactly all one sided.
That's the problem.

Israel isn't some lily-white pure nation, and neither are its neighbors.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
Interesting that the spotlight on Tel Aviv has nothing to do with politics. If they did a spotlight on Tehran would people be up in arms. Of course not, they would realize that its a celebration of a city and that regions culture not shout out to that countries apolitical culture. Shame on sensationalists for turning this into a a fiasco.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's not exactly all one sided.
That's the problem.

Israel isn't some lily-white pure nation, and neither are its neighbors.

Absolutely so!

I would never deny that Israel has been, and can be, very heavy-handed with the Palestinians.....and often is extremely unfair.

But in the game of "pick a side", Israel wins hands down. (I don't do "neutral" very well..lol)

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Interesting that the spotlight on Tel Aviv has nothing to do with politics. If they did a spotlight on Tehran would people be up in arms. Of course not, they would realize that its a celebration of a city and that regions culture not shout out to that countries apolitical culture. Shame on sensationalists for turning this into a a fiasco.

Exactly. Naomi Klein never met an idiot cause she didn't love....nor a camera....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Absolutely so!

I would never deny that Israel has been, and can be, very heavy-handed with the Palestinians.....and often is extremely unfair.

But in the game of "pick a side", Israel wins hands down. (I don't do "neutral" very well..lol)

Nah, in the game of 'pick a side', the winner is, walk away and don't look back.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

Jews are hardly united regarding the Israeli government. Quite the contrary, the Jewish community is very divided. Many of the Israeli government's most outspoken critics are Jews and even Israelis.

Naomi Klein is a good example. She is Jewish, but also knows very well what the Israeli government does and as a result is against their policies, not necessarily against Israelis or Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naomi_Klein

She did side with "her own people". She chose the side of compassionate human beings who believe in fundamental human rights and dignity, which includes a growing number of Jews, Israelis and human beings of every race, religion and nationality. Count me as one of these people.

Being Jewish and/or Israeli and against the Israeli government is sort of like being an American, yet being against George Bush and the Iraq war. Would you say these Americans are in denial of their own people or against war criminals, including American ones.

In the game of "pick a side", I choose the side of innocent people who want freedom, justice and to live in peace, not those who support injustice, oppression and violence.

I base my opinions on accurate and neutral information from sources like Nobel Peace Prize Laureate "Amnesty International" and Human Rights Watch. (see references in first post in this string).

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Nah, in the game of 'pick a side', the winner is, walk away and don't look back.
I agree. Most Israelis are free to leave and many have dual citizenship. Most Palestinians live behind walls of concrete and razor wire under concentration camp like conditions without citizenship or the ability to leave.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Mostly its the innocent civilians on both sides, not their governments. One group of leaders is about as evil as the other. That's why I don't support arming either side. I support a one state solution which is unarmed, neutral, ruled by international laws and patrolled by UN peacekeepers.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Updated:

Open Letter to TIFF by : Udi Aloni, filmmaker, Israel; Elle Flanders, filmmaker, Canada; Richard Fung, video artist,Canada; John Greyson, filmmaker, Canada; Naomi Klein, writer and filmmaker, Canada; Kathy Wazana, filmmaker, Canada; Cynthia Wright, writer and academic, Canada; b h Yael, film and video artist, Canada

An open letter to the Toronto International Film Festival | rabble.ca

Several of the above are Jewish and one is also Israeli. My kind of people! ;)

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Another update:

To criticize Israel is a dangerous thing in today's Canada
...In the week since the publication of the letter, the authors of the letter have been called hypocrites, censors and, worse, anti-Semites. A ludicrous charge: five of the eight are Jewish and one is an Israeli.

These accusations seek to intimidate us into silence and shut down substantive discussion. This, ironically, is the very charge that is being levelled at us.

It's hard not to see these attacks as part of a deliberate strategy to divert attention from the real issues, namely Israel's gross violations of human rights and disregard for international law and, in this instance, the hijacking of Toronto's premier cultural event and putting it at the service of Israel's political agenda...

TheStar.com | Opinion | To criticize Israel is a dangerous thing in today's Canada

I've noticed that any attempts to criticize the Israeli government lead to accusations of anti-Semiticism, references to the holocaust and other unrelated diversions from the real issues.

For over 60 years now, Israel has defied international laws, treaties, conventions and UN resolutions in their quest to violently cleanse the holy lands of non-Jews to create a pure Jewish state and as a result has created the world's biggest and longest lasting humanitarian crisis. If you don't know what I mean, reference the links in the first post in this string.

The Toronto International Film Festival should never have been allowed to become a front for Israeli government propaganda. :angryfire:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Toronto Declaration now has over 1500 signatures of prominent artists. In the longstanding tradition of the national and western media to promote pro-Israel misinformation and outrageous accusations against anyone criticizing Israel, the news continues to misrepresent the Toronto Declaration as things it is NOT.

This declaration:
Toronto Declaration: No Celebration of Occupation

...does not call for censorship or black listing of Israeli films or artists. On the contrary it calls for the inclusion of Palestinian films.

The people behind the declaration are not anti-Semitic or anti-Israel. Many of them are Jewish and one is Israeli. The signatories include many longtime supporters of Israel who have been viciously maligned by the media:

Cara Parks: Atlanta Jews Reject Vilification and Stand Up for Jane Fonda

The purpose of this declaration is to protest the misuse of the TIFF to promote pro-Israel propaganda.

...we object to the use of such an important international festival in staging a propaganda campaign on behalf of what South African Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, and UN General Assembly President Miguel d’Escoto Brockmann have all characterized as an apartheid regime...

Toronto Declaration: No Celebration of Occupation

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I've tuned out Israel myself. Israel is in Asia, fighting over imaginary religion and the disputes have no solution. Asia, a nasty place that will oppress you if possible. Perhaps Klein is getting a whiff of how awful Asia is and doing very little to solve its problems. But they enjoy it.

A professor in university said in a lecture, that a few more inches on the TV isn't going to solve their problems. I agreed then, thinking more learning and analysis was required. Now I think Asia is still so pre-modern and its "democracies" so weak it will take centuries to get modern. Asia has so many dictatorships and when they shed brutality we call them "democracy". Not so! Look at the "Jewish state"!