Dump The Monarchy And Help Constitutionally Unite The Country

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
An easy to get rid of burr in Quebec's butt that I think is justified. We pay millions to what adds up to loafing.
Monarchy 'single greatest wedge' between French, English Canada - The Hill Times - Newspaper Online.

The Hill Times, August 17th, 2009
LETTERS

Monarchy 'single greatest wedge' between French, English Canada

Re: "Canadians oppose monarchy, but don't have clear constitutional alternative to the Queen," (The Hill Times, July 20, 2009).

Sheila Copps' affirmation that Canada is stable because it is a constitutional monarchy is incredible. Was she in some trance in front of a mirror during the 1995 Quebec referendum? The monarchy is the single greatest wedge between French and English Canada, a constant reminder that an invasion that occurred 250 years ago would justify the continued marginalisation, assimilation, and exploitation of the conquered peoples' descendants for many generations.

This "dominant group" mentality is hardly a way to keep a country united. A grand republican project would be a unifying project in which all Canadians could proudly participate, shaking the shackles of medieval feudalism and its racism, sexism and elitism, all cleverly masked by the effective propaganda of titles, awards, pomp and traditions.

Had Ms. Copps spent less time browsing the monarchist leagues' website and more time pondering the Emerald Isle, she would have noted that its southern republic is far more stable than its troubled monarchist north, with the nation as a whole still divided by the same forces that keep Canada unstable. I'm sure Ms. Copps isn't willing to bet that Ms. Windsor will be setting foot in Québec in 2010 during one of the very rare occasions that she actually shows up for work as our head of state.

Pierre Vincent

Edmonton, Alta.
© Copyright 2009 Hill Times Publishing Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized distribution, transmission or republication strictly prohibited. Privacy Policy

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
© Copyright 2009 Hill Times Publishing Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized distribution, transmission or republication strictly prohibited. Privacy Policy

This letter writer got paid zero dollars I bet. Which is what I have been paid for all my letters to the editor. What this means is the corporation that printed the letter, claims ownership of something without paying for it. Great system. CC is considered posting, not publishing.

Try to stay on topic please.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The Hill Times copyright notice:

Copyright Notice

This service (including, but not limited to text, content, photographs, PDF files, video and audio) is protected by copyright as a collective work or compilation under Canadian copyright and other laws. You must abide by all additional copyright notices or restrictions contained in this Service.
You may create Web links to any URL on TheHillTimes.ca or HillTimes.com, including articles.
You may not copy, reproduce, distribute, publish, display, perform, modify, create derivative works, transmit, or in any way exploit any part of this service, except that you may download material from this service for your own personal, noncommercial use as follows: you may make one machine readable copy and/or one print copy that is limited to occasional articles of personal interest only.
Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, you may not distribute any part of this service over any network, including a local area network, nor sell nor offer it for sale. In addition, these files may not be used to construct any kind of database.

I would suggest you delete the text of the article and just post the link to the article.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
As to the article itself..... The answer is no. Canada has capitulated to the Quebecois enough. France lost the war to England. England was more than fair to those Frenchman that decided to stay in Canada after the war. Lower Canada had a hand in how The Dominion of Canada was to be formed and governed, not just upper Canada.

It's time to say "suck it up buttercup", you've had 2 sovereignty referendums now and lost both.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
An easy to get rid of burr in Quebec's butt that I think is justified. We pay millions to what adds up to loafing.
Monarchy 'single greatest wedge' between French, English Canada - The Hill Times - Newspaper Online.

The Hill Times, August 17th, 2009
LETTERS

Monarchy 'single greatest wedge' between French, English Canada

Re: "Canadians oppose monarchy, but don't have clear constitutional alternative to the Queen," (The Hill Times, July 20, 2009).

Sheila Copps' affirmation that Canada is stable because it is a constitutional monarchy is incredible. Was she in some trance in front of a mirror during the 1995 Quebec referendum? The monarchy is the single greatest wedge between French and English Canada, a constant reminder that an invasion that occurred 250 years ago would justify the continued marginalisation, assimilation, and exploitation of the conquered peoples' descendants for many generations.

This "dominant group" mentality is hardly a way to keep a country united. A grand republican project would be a unifying project in which all Canadians could proudly participate, shaking the shackles of medieval feudalism and its racism, sexism and elitism, all cleverly masked by the effective propaganda of titles, awards, pomp and traditions.

Had Ms. Copps spent less time browsing the monarchist leagues' website and more time pondering the Emerald Isle, she would have noted that its southern republic is far more stable than its troubled monarchist north, with the nation as a whole still divided by the same forces that keep Canada unstable. I'm sure Ms. Copps isn't willing to bet that Ms. Windsor will be setting foot in Québec in 2010 during one of the very rare occasions that she actually shows up for work as our head of state.

Pierre Vincent

Edmonton, Alta.

This is, of course, absolute baloney.

The Monarchy has nothing to do with the Quebec inferiority complex as a "conquered people". The psychology of the Quebec people is the problem.....French outpost in a sea of English speakers, that had their ass whipped 250 years ago, and they can't get over it. Half inferiority complex, half spoiled child, It is simply pathetic.

I, for one, am not willing to surrender one iota of Canada's proud heritage as part of the English-speaking world.........merely to help press the collective lips more firmly onto Quebec's arse.....

Have you heard the latest outrage?

After the cancellation of the historical re-enactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in a futile attempt to soothe Quebec's nationalists, who declared it "an insult"....there are now plans to read out the Manifesto of the FLQ on that historic day.........

Unbelievable that anyone should want to further coddle these arseholes.

Of ALL the silly reasons to dump the Monarchy, this is the most moronic.......and the most futile in nature....

Last edited:

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
:lol:

Perhaps this should be moved to Fun & Jokes?

I have never heard a French Canadian, or a Québecker, cite constitutional monarchy as a drive for Québec sovereignty. It’s absolute nonsense. Let us not forget that Her Majesty The Queen of Canada addresses Canada using both English and French, as Her Majesty can speak both with tremendous fluency. Discussions surrounding the 1995 referrendum were completely void of references to The Queen, or to monarchy. And, I should also mention, it would not be “easy” to end constitutional monarchy (as dumpthemonarchy suggested), as it would need the agreement of the Honourable the Senate of Canada, the House of Commons, and the ten Legislative Assemblies of the Provinces.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Quite so, FP, it will need a constitutional amendment.

Dumpthemonarchy, I know this is a favorite cause with you, but you might as well give up, it ain’t happening. I don’t see Canada getting rid of the monarchy,. At least not in the short term.

I have no love lost for monarchy, I have made it clear before this. If we didn’t have the monarchy, I would oppose its introduction into Canada. However, now that it is already here, I would need to see a very good alternative before I will support the abolition of monarchy, and I haven’t’ seen a good alternative.

I think monarchy is here to stay.

Last edited:

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

The Monarchy has nothing to do with the Quebec inferiority complex as a "conquered people". The psychology of the Quebec people is the problem.....French outpost in a sea of English speakers, that had their ass whipped 250 years ago, and they can't get over it. Half inferiority complex, half spoiled child, It is simply pathetic.

I, for one, am not willing to surrender one iota of Canada's proud heritage as part of the English-speaking world.........merely to help press the collective lips more firmly onto Quebec's arse.....

After the cancellation of the historical re-enactment of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in a futile attempt to soothe Quebec's nationalists, who declared it "an insult"....there are now plans to read out the Manifesto of the FLQ on that historic day.........

Of ALL the silly reasons to dump the Monarchy, this is the most moronic.......and the most futile in nature....

I'm no toady of Quebec nationalists/sovereigntists/pequistes. I think the Bloc should be kicked out of parliament because they are separatists and want to wreck Canada. Our castrated political class lacks the stones to be decisive and speak out against that stupid speech on the Plains of Abraham.

Fact is, the monarchy doesn't mean much to most Canadians these days, it is a needlessly divisive political issue but does nothing for the country any more. We don't lose our history by becoming a republic, we grow as a nation. The military for crying out loud takes an oath to the queen, not Canada or Canadians. To me, that is bizarre. We pay for those guns.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal

You obviously didn't inform yourself on what the event will be. The event is called ''Le Moulin à Paroles''... On the 12th and 13th of September, 140 texts will be read in public as an overview of Quebec culture and history. Native texts, historical texts, manifestos, literature and theatre excerpts, poems, important speeches, songs etc. etc. etc.

The FLQ manifesto will be read as it is an important and crucial part of Quebec history (and Canadian history)... It was read out loud on the francophone CBC for crying out loud.

The Durham report will also be read if that can give you a clue that you are outraged about nothing.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
As for the OP, I don't think monarchy is a very important factor when it comes to Quebec nationalism. It is mildly divisive in the sense that most Quebecers are clearly anti-monarchist, but most Quebecers don't care that much about it, like most Canadians as a matter of fact.

But,

I strongly believe that getting rid of monarchy would be very positively received in Quebec and would contribute to healing the divide between Quebec and the rest of Canada.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It is there to stay until the monarchic system gives us a Head of State unfit for the job in the eye of the majority.

Or it will stay until Canada gets a spine and an identity.

I don’t see that happening, s_lone. The PMs usually appoint a non controversial figure to the post of GG, somebody beyond reproach.

That is how it is done by tradition; we Canadians do many things by tradition. The day somebody abuses that tradition (by appointing an obvious political hack to GG for instance), that is the day there will be serious push to get rid of the monarchy.

But I don’t see that happening.