Time For A Statutory Holiday In February

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We need a holiday in February, the third Monday. The sooner the better. Here's web page to sign up.

The national flag of Canada was inaugurated on February 15, 1965. The anniversary of this date is officially called the "National Flag of Canada Day", which is often shortened to "Flag Day".

Canada Flag Holiday - Sign the petition giving your support to declaring the third monday in February "Canada Flag Day" a national statutory holiday

An article from the CBC

Toronto MP calls for national paid holiday in February

Toronto MP calls for national paid holiday in February

Last Updated: Thursday, February 15, 2007 | 7:49 PM ET

CBC News

National Flag Day should be a statutory holiday for Canadians across the country, says a Toronto NDP MP.

Peggy Nash, MP for Parkdale-High Park, was expected to table on Thursday a private member's bill that asks the federal government to make Flag Day, Feb. 15, a legal federal holiday.
'Flag Day is a great day to have that break, especially in the middle of winter.'—MP Peggy Nash
There are no national statutory holidays in February, and Flag Day would serve as a good break for Canadians between New Year's Day and Easter, she said at a news conference in Ottawa.

"Flag Day is a great day to have that break, especially in the middle of winter," Nash said. "It's a good way to get over the February blahs."
Ron Mayer, an Ottawa-based author who has lobbied for Flag Day to be a national holiday for years, said the day could become a special time for Canadians to reflect on their values and to think about their country. Mayer spoke alongside Nash.

"I think this bill is going to be a great success. I can't see anyone not supporting it. We need something to perk us up," he said.
Holidays vary across country

Each jurisdiction in Canada provides for statutory holidays through labour standards legislation. Public holidays are considered days of special significance established by governments to mark certain events.

Employees who qualify are entitled to a paid holiday, or, if required to work, to wages paid at a premium rate.

The number of statutory holidays enjoyed by workers, however, varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Some provinces have created their own special paid holidays that they celebrate.

Alberta and Saskatchewan, for example, enjoy Family Day on the third Monday in February. This is the first year that Saskatchewan will mark the day.

Quebec has long celebrated St-Jean-Baptiste Day, or Fête nationale, on June 24.

The Northwest Territories was the first jurisdiction to make National Aboriginal Day on June 21 a statutory holiday.

Under the Flag Day bill, Nash said, the statutory holiday would fall on Feb. 15, the actual date that marks the first time the Maple Leaf was raised on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Where do you live? We already have one in Alberta. It's called Family Day. I'm not really in favour of it. I'd rather have the long weekend in June when my ass isn't frozen to my truck seat.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We need a 4 day work week so that people are not slaves to their jobs. The rise in diseases like cancer and diabetes can be attributed to the stress of our jobs. It would take three day weekends to allow people to decompress properly from the pressures we are under.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
We need a 4 day work week so that people are not slaves to their jobs. The rise in diseases like cancer and diabetes can be attributed to the stress of our jobs. It would take three day weekends to allow people to decompress properly from the pressures we are under.
Only if people lock up their computers and their cell phones. People have one leg tied to their desk and the other to their family. No self time. It's not selfish to have a little "self" time. Just look around for only a couple of minutes. People in restaurants talking on their cells and irritating everyone around them. Makes you want to scream doesn't it? People at the check-out in stores or in the aisles. I've even heard people make calls during a movie at the theatre. Today I popped over to Super Store and there was a woman in the parking lot talking on her phone as she un-loaded her groceries. Is no time sacred for ones self anymore? I understand family calling,to a point. Sometimes I look at my phone and I just make a decision not to turn it on so that I cannot be reached. We are not supposed to be allowed phones on us at work but I see people sneaking all the time. When did we need to be quite so tied to others?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Only if people lock up their computers and their cell phones. People have one leg tied to their desk and the other to their family. No self time. It's not selfish to have a little "self" time. Just look around for only a couple of minutes. People in restaurants talking on their cells and irritating everyone around them. Makes you want to scream doesn't it? People at the check-out in stores or in the aisles. I've even heard people make calls during a movie at the theatre. Today I popped over to Super Store and there was a woman in the parking lot talking on her phone as she un-loaded her groceries. Is no time sacred for ones self anymore? I understand family calling,to a point. Sometimes I look at my phone and I just make a decision not to turn it on so that I cannot be reached. We are not supposed to be allowed phones on us at work but I see people sneaking all the time. When did we need to be quite so tied to others?

People are more attached to their gadgets and status symbols than they are to life. Drives me nuts to see all this waste of time, money and life... for what? I don't get it. Most of what I hear people saying on their cells is just filling air, no substance, babble, as if not talking nonsense would some how nullify their pointless existence. That is why I hope for a complete breakdown of the economy. All this mindless consumerism is going to be our downfall. People need a 2 X 4 upside the head to wake them up from their stupor.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
So, it seems the type A types want to be busy busy busy on their cell phones and elsewhere whether we get another holiday or not. Hmmm. The answer would appear to be a holiday so they can talk on their cell phones more.

How can Alberta have more holidays than laid back BC ? It could be answered by the fact Vancouver has more coffee shops than anywhere in the world I am sure. Which can give type A types more time to spend in coffee shops, talking on their cell phones.