Are we (Canadians) really that dirty?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
I seen on ctv today, some organization ranked us last of the G8 countries in being environmentally friendly, and cleaning up our act, cutting emmisions... Is this true, do we as Canadians not care about our environment??? Im not trying to get emotional and all touchy touchy feely, or pointing fingers im just curious what is the real situation??

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah.

Even those evil Yankees are ahead of us....

I laughed myself silly a few years ago when Canadian environmental groups went ballistic over a gov't proposal to adopt American standards for diesal fuel.......

the green folks naturally assumed it was a wicked American plot to foul our air and poison us....in such typical knee-jerk Canadian idiot fashion.

Turned out the US standards were MUCH tougher.......

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's one of those comparisons that is done per capita. Due to Canada's relatively low
population, and the fact that it's a major oil exporter, it looks really bad. If it wasn't
just the G8, but all countries, Canada would still look bad compared to...lets say
China....'cuz they're thick on the ground and we are not.

We can & need to do better. Everyone can & needs to do better. I'm just offering
perspective.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Our ranking depends on the agenda the organization is pushing, or the product they represent. My belief is we live closer to Nature than most nations due to our terrible climate.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Our ranking depends on the agenda the organization is pushing, or the product they represent. My belief is we live closer to Nature than most nations due to our terrible climate.
Not all of us think we have a terrible climate. For the most part - I'm pretty happy with the climate I live in.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Believe it or not, I spent a winter in Central America and missed the snow.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
I am happy with the climate in Florida, little warm at times but clean. What so called pollution we do get (dust, sand) is blown across the Atlantic from the Sahara Desert.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"I am happy with the climate in Florida, little warm at times but clean. What so called pollution we do get (dust, sand) is blown across the Atlantic from the Sahara Desert."

ironsides, since the prevailing winds are from the West, the dust and the sand more likey have come from California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, than from the Sahara Desert.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
We're all a bunch of dirty bastards.

Canadians that is.

I can't speak for anyone else.

I can't speak at all.

But I'm still one of many dirty bastards.

hee hee hee.:-?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Canada is as clean as any industrialized country except for the tar sands.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
"I am happy with the climate in Florida, little warm at times but clean. What so called pollution we do get (dust, sand) is blown across the Atlantic from the Sahara Desert."

ironsides, since the prevailing winds are from the West, the dust and the sand more likey have come from California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, than from the Sahara Desert.

Where I am the winds come off Africa (most of the time), along with most of the hurricane's, swing in clockwise, then turn up the coast. The dividing line for counter clockwise is around Cape Kennedy, I am near Ft. Lauderdale further south.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Clean up this pigsty you filthy Canadians!

Is that you over there Juan? Playing in the darn tar sands again!

What's that all over you Ron... F*ing Maple Syrup?!?!?!

Dog gone it Wolf...tracking mud all over! Clean up them paws!

Karrie! Are you kidding me! There's more nail polish on the floor than on your nails!

Geez!

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How do they measure it? By population?

Because we have one of the most sparse populations spread over one of the largest areas, and live in some of the coldest climates. Our petrochemical usage because of that alone must be HUGE compared to other countries. Then factor in our damn short days, and we must be burning up scads of electricity compared to some.

Not that we can't try to make it better, but, somehow I feel we're never going to measure up to tighter packed populations in more temperate climates, when it comes to energy usage and thus pollution.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Then factor in our damn short days, and we must be burning up scads of electricity compared to some.

True, but because of the large amount of hydro power here in Canada, our carbon dioxide emissions are the lowest per kilowatt hour, at about one quarter kilogram of carbon dioxide per kilowatt hour. We could lower this score much more, just by increasing the mixture of natural gas in a coal-fired generation station.

For this report it only matters from what source the electricity comes from, not the actual consumption. If we had the same high consumption, and it was all renewable/nuclear, then there wouldn't be too much problem there.

The scores are rankings for each category, based on per capita numbers.