Online Voting

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
CTV.ca | Canadians should be allowed to vote online: report

"OTTAWA -- Allowing Canadians to vote electronically may be the remedy for the ever-dwindling percentage of voters who bother to exercise their democratic rights, Elections Canada suggests. In a report released late Friday, the independent electoral watchdog says it will push this fall for legislative changes that would allow it to implement online registration of voters.
And it wants parliamentary approval to conduct an electronic voting test-run in a byelection by 2013"

The only problem I can see here is that we won't be able to tell if the Muslim women are wearing their burkas. I'm not sure if we can have that.

betseygirl

Nominee Member
Jun 19, 2009
Burnaby
this would be a good step but i dont think it would increase voting percentages much, some people just don't make the effort to vote because some people basically do not care.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
this would be a good step but i dont think it would increase voting percentages much, some people just don't make the effort to vote because some people basically do not care.

Well what kind of people are they if they have an attitude like that??!!

Democracy is the best system we have until Jesus comes back!

PEOPLE DIED SO THAT WE COULD HAVE TRUE FREEDOM! THAT INCLUDES THE FREEDOM TO SPEAK, VOTE!!!

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DEBATE! :angryfire:

betseygirl

Nominee Member
Jun 19, 2009
Burnaby
Well what kind of people are they if they have an attitude like that??!!

Democracy is the best system we have until Jesus comes back!

PEOPLE DIED SO THAT WE COULD HAVE TRUE FREEDOM! THAT INCLUDES THE FREEDOM TO SPEAK, VOTE!!!

I CHALLENGE YOU TO A DEBATE! :angryfire:

Whoaaa...Calm down! I'm just saying that I know a lot of people that do not vote because they really do not care to. I do not mean that they do not care our government and what not. I'm just saying that some people don't vote because they say who cares? My vote won't make a difference. A lot of people just generally think that their vote is not going to make a difference since they are only one person.

In Between Man

The Biblical Position
Sep 11, 2008
49° 19' N, 123° 4' W
Whoaaa...Calm down! I'm just saying that I know a lot of people that do not vote because they really do not care to. I do not mean that they do not care our government and what not. I'm just saying that some people don't vote because they say who cares? My vote won't make a difference. A lot of people just generally think that their vote is not going to make a difference since they are only one person.

Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. I failed to mention that I stubbed my toe when I was replying to your treasonous speech against freedom. Usually I'm more relaxed when someone attempts to point out that non voters are normal people like the rest of us.;-)

Seriously though, I hear ya. This last provincial election, I didn't bother. There was a really good show on.:cool:

betseygirl

Nominee Member
Jun 19, 2009
Burnaby
Oh, yeah, sorry bout that. I failed to mention that I stubbed my toe when I was replying to your treasonous speech against freedom. Usually I'm more relaxed when someone attempts to point out that non voters are normal people like the rest of us.;-)

Seriously though, I hear ya. This last provincial election, I didn't bother. There was a really good show on.:cool:

Treasonous speech against freedom??

HAHA!

Okay, now I believe you are a hypocrite my friend. Even I went out and voted, I always vote and no show takes precedence. Learn to follow what you preach buddy. :lol:

MrRight

Nominee Member
Jun 23, 2009
The reason no one is voting, is simply because there is no one worth voting for, because no matter what happens, there will never be the perfect leader...all this will do is allow the few lazy people who have absolutely nothing going on that night, to stay home and eat tv dinners and vote online.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The reason no one is voting, is simply because there is no one worth voting for, because no matter what happens, there will never be the perfect leader...all this will do is allow the few lazy people who have absolutely nothing going on that night, to stay home and eat tv dinners and vote online.
You are right. There is no one worth voting for either provincially or federally. However, someone is going to win the vote so we should vote just to be sure that we get the best of the worst. They would have to set it up so that we all have one specific voting number to register with. Who cares if you sit home with a TV dinner or vote and go out for the night. Just vote.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I always vote fringe parties. The main parties are just shills for the ruling class. youz gets what youz pays for. If youz don't vote, don't whine about the screwin' youz gets. At least I can legitimately whine.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I always vote fringe parties. The main parties are just shills for the ruling class. youz gets what youz pays for. If youz don't vote, don't whine about the screwin' youz gets. At least I can legitimately whine.

Nah, I don't buy that cliché. I once compared the relative votes required to elect an NDP MP vs. a Lib/Con/PQ and was astounded to learn it took basically twice as many votes. Not all votes are counted equally in our electoral system. If I want to complain about the electoral system, by rights I should not endorse it by voting.

Further, that cliché flies in the face of the theory of statistical sampling. In the end, one vote just does not change the outcome. Also, do I lose the right to complain about the person I voted for, since it was my choice?

Casting a vote once every few years is hardly democracy. There are better ways. Every time somebody fails to show up to vote it should be interpreted as a lack of faith in the system. Failing to endorse the system should not be seen as acquiescence.

Ariadne

Council Member
Aug 7, 2006
CTV.ca | Canadians should be allowed to vote online: "OTTAWA -- Allowing Canadians to vote electronically may be the remedy for the ever-dwindling percentage of voters who bother to exercise their democratic rights, Elections Canada suggests. In a report released late Friday, the independent electoral watchdog says it will push this fall for legislative changes that would allow it to implement online registration of voters.
And it wants parliamentary approval to conduct an electronic voting test-run in a byelection by 2013"

The only problem I can see here is that we won't be able to tell if the Muslim women are wearing their burkas. I'm not sure if we can have that.

Computers are great, but they're not necessarily the right tool for every job. Electronic voting can easily be human rigged.

What if the law included that the Burka must be pink, yellow, or green, rather than the traditional black and white. Would that help?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I agree with you and said that sometime ago. I think anyone who doesn't vote should receive a fine (via mail). Points on one's D.L. should do it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Cliffy this can backfire. Our here we voted reform for years as a protest against the two eastern parties because we thought nobody would take them seriously. Now look what happened. They went and bought one of the eastern parties and we are still being f##ked over by Ontario and Quebec.
Other than that I believe that anyone who cannot be bothered to vote has no right to bitch.:angryfire:
Not too sure about internet voting. I don't see how it can be kept honest. If kids can hack into US military computers it probably wouldn't be too hard to rig a vote. After all the CIA did it for junior. Twice.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I agree with you and said that sometime ago. I think anyone who doesn't vote should receive a fine (via mail). Points on one's D.L. should do it.

I disagree on the D.L points.. If they don't hand them out for Photo Camera lights why hand them out for not voting..

That said, a nice big binding fine in the mail that would tab onto your income tax / Health Care would be just as effective..

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I disagree on the D.L points.. If they don't hand them out for Photo Camera lights why hand them out for not voting..

That said, a nice big binding fine in the mail that would tab onto your income tax / Health Care would be just as effective..
I see you are here. There seems to be some confusion in my house as to what photo camera lights are. Please explain. I agree with what you say. Whatever it takes to make sure people vote (and that it is them voting).