A Challenge To Stephen Harper

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I was watching American President Obama’s question and answer or town hall TV show on national healthcare last night.

As the show progressed I realized that any questions were asked had no pre-screening and the people that asked the questions seemed to be republicans.

Obama answered all the questions and more Americans are getting comfortable with a national healthcare program.

I Liberalman challenge you Stephen Harper to have a one-hour town hall meeting with the audience consisting of Liberal, NDP, Bloc and Green supporters on the subject of Accountability on national television. You can choose any Canadian national media like Global or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) or the Canadian Television Network (CTV)

I will be watching the news on your decision

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
That's not really a fair comparison. Republicans can ask semi-intelligent questions. Libs and Dippers can only rant, call Harpo "Messiah", blather on about Mulroney and masturbate on pictures of Trudeau.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Not to put a dmaper on the idea, because it's a long overdue one, but I'll bet doughtnuts to dollars that the questions to Obama were in fact screened, and carefully selected to give the image of Obama facing hard questions, but are really ones he can work up a good repsonse to.

I have tonnes of respect for Mr. Obama, but no politician would go into a town hall blind, it'd be a guaranteed flop. Screening is good for the viewer as well. People want to see good and tough questions, but filtering out the crackpots is welcome as well.

That said, Harper does need to be more open with the public and less choreographed.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Harper is challenged. Go easy on the guy.

Accountability? Here is one you can start with. Get Harper to account for the fact there is no Office of Accountability as he promised to open up, alloted funds for, rented space for but never staffed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That's not really a fair comparison. Republicans can ask semi-intelligent questions. Libs and Dippers can only rant, call Harpo "Messiah", blather on about Mulroney and masturbate on pictures of Trudeau.

Watch it there, Cannuck, or you'll get labelled as bigoted by the lefties. :lol::lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Prime Minister Harper announces new Ministry and reaffirms government priorities
NEWS RELEASE

6 February 2006
Ottawa, Ontario

Mr. Stephen Harper being sworn in as Prime Minister by the Clerk of the Privy Council at Rideau Hall.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper today announced the appointment of a new Ministry designed to deliver the change mandated by Canadians on January 23rd.

“My smaller Cabinet and more streamlined Cabinet structure are designed for work—not for show,” said Prime Minister Harper. “The team is talented and balanced, reflecting our national diversity. The 26 Ministers are equal members of the team, ensuring equal voices from all regions of Canada. The structure is designed to promote accountable, efficient and effective government—more focus and purpose; less process and cost.”
What is the address of this new office?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I Liberalman challenge you Stephen Harper to have a one-hour town hall meeting with the audience consisting of Liberal, NDP, Bloc and Green supporters on the subject of Accountability on national television. You can choose any Canadian national media like Global or Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) or the Canadian Television Network (CTV)

Accountability eh?

Can we also discuss the accountability for Adscam, Shawinigate, HRDC Boondoggle, the gun registry, Dinwall and liberal entitlement... We can start there.

So how about it Liberalman, care to do this up right?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Haven't those been dealt with Captain?

Wouldn't establishing a new Ministry funding it, renting office space, paying ministrial salary to a minister for a ministry that doesn't exist be a good scam to look into?

Would one contact the Accountability Ministry to get an investigation rolling?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Accountability eh?

Can we also discuss the accountability for Adscam, Shawinigate, HRDC Boondoggle, the gun registry, Dinwall and liberal entitlement... We can start there.

I'm glad you brought that up even though I may be more "left wing" than "right wing"- THAT GUN REGISTRY has to be the stupidest gov't. endeavour since Joseph McCarthy back in the 50s. In all fairness I think the Adscam had more to do with bureaucrats than politicians.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
I do believe that they are still investigating and prosecuting Sponsorship Scandal... But that is really not the focus. The question of accountability suggests that any political party that is in power (or directly involved) in irregularities should admit to being a part or atleast assuming responsibility for not seeing and addressing these issues at the time (practically speaking).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Why hasn't the Gun Registry been scraped yet?

I take it you mean "scrapped"- that would be just as big of a mistake as implementing it in the first place. The only sane thing to do now is just let it run down on it's own as employees retire- I know there's a lot of useless crap taking up a bunch of drawer space, but for Gpod sakes don't spend money killing it as it will die eventually anyway.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Accountability eh?

Your right Captain - pass errors, scandles and criminal activity by others COMPLETELY and TOTALLY absolve the Conservatives from being any better. :roll:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Your right Captain - pass errors, scandles and criminal activity by others COMPLETELY and TOTALLY absolve the Conservatives from being any better. :roll:

I don't absolve the cons (or libs, NDP, Greens, Bloc, etc) of anything. The solitary reason that I listed-off the recent liberal scandals was to add a little balance to Liberalman's outlook.

That said, you're dead right in that the scandals of one party do not absolve wrongful actions elsewhere. Personally, I'd love to see some form of legislation that directly sought to legally punish any gvt official (harshly) that breaks the law while in office.