Government Pensions –

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Government Pensions –

Regardless of what level, Municipal, Provincial or Federal – they are stuffed full of goodies – and massive liabilities – In Alberta the underfunded liabilities for teachers is at 8. 6 Billion – as of May 2009-

Yet many Canadians do not have or will not have pensions when they retire – Should pensions be transferable – Should Civil Service pensions not reflect economic reality - The perks that the Auto Unions had were beyond belief – Toronto unions are now on strike – And if anyone thinks that Mayor Miller is against unions – well think again – he has raised taxes to higher levels – If it moves he taxes it –

The Feds and the Prov of Ontario did a sleight of hand and 3 billion went to support the Auto Sector pensions –

Last but not least – It is nearly impossible to fire a member of most unions -

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We praise the dead who fought for freedom against fascism on November 11th.

We totally forget those who fought and died or had their skulls bashed in by hired thugs as they fought against fascism and freedom from tyranny giving you the fair wages and lifestyle you enjoy today.

Go ahead. Keep union bashing.

Will you be there to offer your skull when they demand your wages, overtime and pensions are cut and squandered too? Or will you accept it and bow your head in shame as you cross over the blood stained threshold and sell your soul to capitalism all so you don't lose your pitiful material goods?

Would you sweep floors and scrub toilets if you completed a task earlier and your employer demands it because the day isn't over yet and there is nothing left to do?

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

We totally forget those who fought and died or had their skulls bashed in by hired thugs as they fought against fascism and freedom from tyranny giving you the fair wages and lifestyle you enjoy today.

Will you be there to offer your skull when they demand your wages, overtime and pensions are cut and squandered too? Or will you accept it and bow your head in shame as you cross over the blood stained threshold and sell your soul to capitalism all so you don't lose your pitiful material goods?

Would you sweep floors and scrub toilets if you completed a task earlier and your employer demands it because the day isn't over yet and there is nothing left to do?

Good morning Petros – Hope all is well – And yes I am aware of the above, same as I am aware that children worked in the mines, companies ran company towns and you shopped at the company store and paid for overpriced products in company script – Now we have labor laws and children do not dig coal, no more debtors prisons – I think you are off topic a tad -

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You also keep forgetting all those who had their knees busted or their houses burned by union thugs for disagreeing with union leaders.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
If a union bankrupts a company because of their demands, then it is not incumbent on the taxpayer to bail them out.

Unions need to realize that they need to work "with" management - not against them.

Same with public unions. The relationship between employee and employer (in this case the tax-payer) needs to be a symbiotic one - not a confrontational one. However, as evidenced by Petros' post - many unions, and blind union supporters haven't stepped into the 21st century and realized this yet.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario

And BTW - yes I would, especially if I had "nothing left to do" AND "I completed a task earlier". In fact, if I saw that it needed to be done, and the day WAS over, I would do whether I would get paid overtime or not.

Should the company pay you for a full 8 hours, if you only work 7 1/2? Or if you half as hard as you could - so that you can fill 8 hours?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You also keep forgetting all those who had their knees busted or their houses burned by union thugs for disagreeing with union leaders.
The fight for rights is sometimes fought in harsh ways. Rights aren't taken away in a pleasant fashion are they?

Prior to union 50% of you income went for food. Today thanks those who fought and died for your rights you pay 14% because you now earn enough. It certainly wan't because of anything YOU did so face it. Those who fought and died for you to earn a decent living while being treated with respect are due a little extra respect especially in tough times.

If what those people fought and died for wasn't imporatant there wouldn't be so many damn laws protecting your ass from not earning enough to buy food and pay rent.

Home ownership was the biggest benefit of those battles. Few owned prior to the labour wars. Are you willing to give up your house?

Judging by all the forcelosures recently due to lack of good paying jobs there has been how many MILLIONS OF PEOPLE put out on the streets over the past three years?

Is it improving as union workers are now being attacked by the jealous who lost their homes or who are afraid of losing their homes and possessions because they were too good to join a brotherhood and fight for their worth and rights?

Go ahead. Piss on your fellow Canadian while 85% of the profits of their labour goes offshore as you stand there with your thumb up your ass or on your knees scrubbing up piss stains for a few extra crumbs a day.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Good morning Petros – Hope all is well – And yes I am aware of the above, same as I am aware that children worked in the mines, companies ran company towns and you shopped at the company store and paid for overpriced products in company script – Now we have labor laws and children do not dig coal, no more debtors prisons – I think you are off topic a tad -
Really? Last summer a Dairy Queen in Regina was forced to close because all the employees were under age and weren't protected by those labour laws.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Really? Last summer a Dairy Queen in Regina was forced to close because all the employees were under age and weren't protected by those labour laws.

Petros – Thank you for providing a clear example of Labor Laws at work – Read the topic thread – Benefits for one, underfunded pension for another – and what really ticks me as how we plated the Auto sector pension plans – Take a look at their benefits -

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Union bashers have to be the stupidest specimins on the planet, they all have greedy streaks a mile wide, think they can handle the boss one on one and win. The dumb turds are responsible for the low wages no benifits and offshoreing. I have nothing but contempt for scabs and bashers. They should be spit upon soon as they get up in the morning.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Goober....think bigger. Why are 13 year olds in need of jobs?
Summer jobs - Want to make some cash - parent say earn it - work ethic - how the hell would i know - is there something wrong with a 13 year old wanting to work?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Government Pensions –

Regardless of what level, Municipal, Provincial or Federal – they are stuffed full of goodies – and massive liabilities – In Alberta the underfunded liabilities for teachers is at 8. 6 Billion – as of May 2009-

Yet many Canadians do not have or will not have pensions when they retire – Should pensions be transferable – Should Civil Service pensions not reflect economic reality - The perks that the Auto Unions had were beyond belief – Toronto unions are now on strike – And if anyone thinks that Mayor Miller is against unions – well think again – he has raised taxes to higher levels – If it moves he taxes it –

The Feds and the Prov of Ontario did a sleight of hand and 3 billion went to support the Auto Sector pensions –

Last but not least – It is nearly impossible to fire a member of most unions -

I'm a pensioner drawing three modest pensions and some RRIF and we live pretty well, own a modest house,(within $30000 of owning it outright) have two vehicles and a 5th wheel and are able to take short trips now and again. Sure we could use more, but we could also get by on less. WE just don't spend money we don't have and shun any interest charges possible. We did lose our free dental a few years back, but I don't believe my dental should be the taxpayer's concern, if you are not willing to look after your health, not much use sticking around.

Reactions: Walter

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
"Go ahead. Keep union bashing."

When a union does not realize that they want too much, when they caqn not realize their own worth, they need to be bashed.

How can a high school (or perhaps an elementary school) dropout demand wages similar to a college graduate? How can an assembly line automaton with a strong back and a weak mind claim to have right to demand wages like those of who EARNED their wages/salaries?

So, Unionists, go, protest and demand! Soon you'll be out of a job. Satisfied??

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Union bashers have to be the stupidest specimins on the planet, they all have greedy streaks a mile wide, think they can handle the boss one on one and win. The dumb turds are responsible for the low wages no benifits and offshoreing. I have nothing but contempt for scabs and bashers. They should be spit upon soon as they get up in the morning.

That's your opinion and you have every right to it, but you shouldn't be depriving others of their opinion. I was a Union member for close to 30 years and I feel I have a viewpoint toward Unions that is valid and I have a perfect right to that opinion. As for "handliing the boss" one on one and winning, I was able to do that, he was happy with my work and I got paid accordingly. What I didn't like about the Union was they spent all their time and energy protecting the parasite, drone and sh*t disturber, while the productive worker had to put up with these turkeys. The market place should dictate what people get paid, not some gorilla from the Union. Don't get me wrong, Unions have a valid role to play, they should be a watchdog for safety issues.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Government pensions are good because of the unions? Maybe

Taxpayers pay my wages and my taxes pay for welfare government business incentives etc.

I look at my pay stub and the taxpayer isn’t paying the premiums for all the benefits I am.

They take a big chunk of money off my pay for my pension and I understand that the government pays some of it.

If you look at the private sector pensions most companies match the funds that the employees pay.

Pension plan is a forced savings plan for the employee that they have no access to.

It’s like a thirty-year term deposit when redeemable is worth more than you paid because of the interest it accrued over the years and is paid out in increments or installments that will last for the lifetime

The government brought in pensions in the 1960’s because when people retired they had no money and usually ended up on welfare.

For people that don’t have a company pension plan open up a RRSP and put in money on a regular bases.

Ask one of your union friends how much they pay every month for their union pensions and put the same amount in monthly.

Consider getting a job that offers a pension you might have to work more but it will be worth it when you retire.

You mentioned that the auto workers are part of the government they are not they are private.