EF Off Mayor Miller Of Toronto

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I don’t usually agree with the Conservatives especially John Baird, his claim to fame was closing down hospitals in a growing city dramatically increasing emergency room wait times.

This time I agree with him when he told Toronto to Ef Off.

Mayor Miller wants to dramatically expand the light rail system in Toronto because of more people moving into Toronto.

Toronto submitted paperwork to the federal government to get over a billion dollars of stimulus and the total number of jobs to be created in this city will be 18 jobs. Mayor Miller should get Toronto businesses to build part of it.

Mayor Miller has to re-negotiate the contract so more Toronto businesses can build the trains in this city.

Because of Mayor Miller refusal to think of Toronto first this city will have to endure a city worker strike just in the beginning of a heat wave.

This means rats will be everywhere as opposed to just in city hall.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
This is federal stimulus money. The people who will get the jobs live in Thunder Bay, that's still in Canada... hell that's still even in Ontario. Toronto gets the trams it desperately needs, Thunder Bay gets the jobs that it depserately needs.

Yes, Toronto has high unemployment too, but I don't see how growing prosperity in other parts of the country doesn't exactly hurt Toronto's (or any other parts of Canada's) own lot.

That said, I don't see hwo the impending city workers' strike relates to this at all.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Oh while I was typing this I heard on the radio that the city of Toronto workers were on strike and I lost my train of thought without relizing it but what the hell I can blame this on Mayor Miller too

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
8O I find the whole thing a bit confusing; as if the jobs which would go to Thunder Bay, were in some way inhibiting T.O. from getting stimulus money.........!!!

Then, it was said that T.O. didn't fill out the proper forms or the forms properly, requesting said money.

Since T.O. is at present a Liberal enclave, I suppose the only thing they are going to get is screwed over.

Just my take. Probably wrong, eh :tard:

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I don't like Miller - but I agree with on this one.

The light-rail transit system will help Toronto for YEARS. Their current mass transit system is horrible - probably the worst in the country.

Are you saying they should take the $1 Billion stimulus to fill in pot holes, that will have to be filled in again next year? That would be stupid.

God forbid that one politician shows a glimmer of forward thinking in the country, before people jump all over him.

As to the strike - if this recession is so bad - why is anyone striking? Government employees should wake up, and smell the coffee. I seriously believe that part of the contract should be a 10% turnover rate for all employees in the city - they do it in other industries.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Are you saying they should take the $1 Billion stimulus to fill in pot holes, that will have to be filled in again next year?
No we need the new transit but the stimulis was created for cities to get more people working and Mayor Miller should re-nagotiate the contract where Toronto businesses are making more parts for the trains or just assemble the trains in Toronto which would create hundreds of jobs for this city instead of just 18

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
The stimulus program is flawed. As such, I am glad that Miller went for something that will actually help the city in the long term, than to grab money just because it is there for short term gain.

It's refreshing to see such responsibility.

Polygong

Electoral Member
May 18, 2009
Between Ireland and Russia
Toronto simply does not have the manufacutring facilities in place to build the them, it would be a massive outlay to build the facilities and would impart a massive delay in getting the built. Trying to get them built in Toronto vs Thunder Bay, where the facilities already exist, would be a big waste of both time and money, and would no doubt be called a pork barell by the critics of stimulus spending.

Even if one opposes stimulus spending, transit spending needs to be done anyway, not only in Toronto but in pretty much every city in Canada.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Miller is an NDP lackie. All he does is ask for money. He forever has his hand out and when he does get some, it is never enough. Miller is an idiot. The unfortunate thing is there is no one decent to oppose him. It almost makes me want to run against him in the next election, and, hey, I might. Everything he has done has helped destroy the city. He is an arrogant, useless ass.
The thing is, John Baird shouldn't have apologized to him....

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
David Miller Mayor of Toronto decided to pay the federal government portion so he could get the get the new streetcars for the new light rail system.

The project will cost about $1.2 billion.

The province of Ontario is putting in $400 million and the federal government was supposed to put in $400 million but because this project creates more employment outside the city does not qualify so the city of Toronto will put in $800 million instead of the $400 million. And all this money will only create 18 positions.

Toronto has been dealing with a city worker strike, which means no city daycare and no Garbage pickup.

Mayor Miller told the strikers, that because of the recession and the downturn of the economy the cupboard is bare and a lot of taxpayers supported the mayor on this.

I guess the cupboard is really bare now.

$400 million extra for a transit that really will provide jobs and tax dollars to the city of Thunder Bay and very little Toronto.

We also have to remember that the tendering process for these streetcars was flawed because Siemens tender came in at a lower cost.

Bombardier won the bid because of the intervention of the mayor who said that this should be built by Canadian workers so he went for the more expensive tender.

Later Bombardier streetcars were shown to have difficulty making tight turns.

Toronto city councilors had an emergency debate last night at a hotel because they didn’t want to cross a picket line and the deadline for a price guarantee tonight.

Most of city councilors voted in favour of it.

The province of Ontario should have paid the extra money since they will benefit more than Toronto taxpayer.

Mayor Miller said that this is his legacy.

Next year is the city elections and the NDP Mayor Miller of Toronto will lose.

As for the strike I hear nose plugs are on sale at the dollar store

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
It's a stupid situation.
More caught up in taking the long way around the barn than anything else.
Toronto gets the street cars as promised. Ottawa gets the submition for make work projects in Toronto that are less of a priority than the street cars to make up the money taken to fund the new street cars.

Tons of little jobs will spring up with workers all over Toronto getting a kick at the cat. More than anything, money will be wasted and of course politicians will make themselves look stupid over it. Pointing fingers at each other, thumping their fist on lecturns and of course stamping their little feet on the soap box.

Glad to see someone mention that Toronto doesn't make street cars. The thought of that is pretty ridiculous.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Mayor Miller of Toronto has decided that there is no ugancy to settle the garbage workers strike because residence are bringing the garbage to the temporary dump sites and is ready to open 200 more dump sites in the parks and he is now considering to reduce garbage pick ups when the strike is over at the same time raising taxes.

Toronto is in their third week of the garbage strike and with the likelyhoof of the swine flu coming back with a vengence in the fall Toronto residents are at a greater risk of having a larger amounts of death than the rest of Canada.

Premier of Ontario Dalton McGuinty has decided to abandon the city of Toronto by not ordering the garbage workers back to work.

Toronto is becoming more dangerous because the fire bugs and arsonists are setting fire to the garbage on the streets and it’s a matter of time before someone gets killed.

Toronto Police Chief Blair said that because of the city strike community centres and swimming pools are closed so the kids have a lot of idle time on their hands which has created a huge spike in the crime wave in this city.

How many people have to die before the mayor and premier get of their A$$ and do something.

Sadly this story will not end soon.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
If you listen to Miller, he said today that crime was down in Toronto, lol.

I haven't seen reports of garbage being burned, but I sure have seen growing piles of garbage.

Only yesterday did idiot Miller let the rest of the city council know what was going on. The guy is unbelievable.

strange

Electoral Member
Jul 16, 2009
Toronto
the light rail line is good for toront infrastructure and good for ontario business. its a win win