Reforms to EI

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
So what needs to change in regards to EI? 45 days is ludicrous! At $15/Hour a worker would have paid in less than $100 in that time.

The 2 week waiting period means you get no money for 4 weeks and are already seriously behind on bills and groceries. That needs to change IMO.

I think CRA needs to look at making a National Payroll system available on the Internet. As an employer I could do payroll on my computer and print my cheques and then upload to CRA-same as we do T4s now. This would eliminate having to do ROE's, would eliminate the cards for claimants, would eliminate the inquiries needed to check for fraudsters (and all that manpower). T4 info would be available on the "My Account" site at CRA.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Yeah - I think shorting the number of days isn't the answer either. Seems to me the issue is;

1) Timeline to receive first EI cheque
2) Who qualifies
3) length of benefits
4) clawbacks

I would think that the issue in a recession is that people who have had jobs for a long time are losing them.

As to item 1) - I agree - I don't see why it takes so long for someone to get their first cheque. In this day and age, they should be able to process that faster.

item 2) IMHO - anyone who contributes should be able to collect - so either self-employed people should be able to collect - or should not have to contribute.

item 3) I'm not sure what the current length of benefits is...so I can't comment - perhaps someone else can?

item 4 - I don't understand the clawback rational. I had a friend that was laidoff - and received a payout - which of course, is clawed back from his EI. However, that payout was used to cover the length of time it took to recieve the first payment....seems to me that if someone receives a pay-out that should not affect your EI payment.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
EI had a huge surplus. Something in the order of fifty billion dollars. Now I may be ignorant but either the premiums were too high or the benefits were too low. Ignatieff has been trying to get the rules relaxed so people who need it could get some benefits without the long wait times and to extend the time of those benefits during this recession. Has Harper already spent that surplus?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Looks like the EI surpluses flow back into the general revenue and is spent like all other government revenue.

EI surplus balloons to $51 billion

"With Ottawa taking in more in premiums and interest than it pays out, the excess money from EI has gone in the federal government's main piggybank for use for other purposes, be that new spending or tax breaks."

"The EI system is being used as a tax grab by the federal government to spend more money elsewhere," said Canadian Taxpayers Federation federal director John Williamson. "It should operate more as an insurance program, and not be used as a revenue generator by the government."

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Looks like the EI surpluses flow back into the general revenue and is spent like all other government revenue.

EI surplus balloons to $51 billion

"With Ottawa taking in more in premiums and interest than it pays out, the excess money from EI has gone in the federal government's main piggybank for use for other purposes, be that new spending or tax breaks."

"The EI system is being used as a tax grab by the federal government to spend more money elsewhere," said Canadian Taxpayers Federation federal director John Williamson. "It should operate more as an insurance program, and not be used as a revenue generator by the government."

Since the money is there and people are not going bankrupt paying the premiums, that money should only be used on the people who paid into it. The fifty billion was amassed over a ten year period so using some of it to help people through the recession sounds completely reasonable.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Since the money is there and people are not going bankrupt paying the premiums, that money should only be used on the people who paid into it. The fifty billion was amassed over a ten year period so using some of it to help people through the recession sounds completely reasonable.

I agree 100%, there is little accountability in where our EI premiums are spent.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I agree 100%, there is little accountability in where our EI premiums are spent.

Spending that money on any other government purpose would be akin to a company spending the employee's pension money.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Last time I drew EI was in 1962. Weekly benefits were $26.00.

I am unemployed now. Time for a change. I need a return on my investment.