Americans right to drain the great lakes

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
On the news it is reported that the Americans and Canadians will re-negotiate great lakes water rights.

What do you think?

Last edited:

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
Well, judging from past Harper deal with US - we will give them all the water..plus a Billion dollars - and then blame it on the Liberals.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Well, judging from past Harper deal with US - we will give them all the water..plus a Billion dollars - and then blame it on the Liberals.

Liberals would give them the water. Conservatives would sell it...which probably isn't a bad idea. Let the eastern bastards dehydrate in the dark (or something like that)

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
On the news it is reported that the Americans and Canadians will re-negotiate great lakes water rights.

What do you think?

I have different ideas on this depending on the philosophical slant. If we insist that all nations are totally sovereign, then there is nothing to negotiate. The US is free to take as much water as it wants from its side just as Canada is free to take up as much wather as it wants from its side.

If we insist that in the modern world no nation ca be totally sovereign but that we must all give up some sovereingty to international law, then we should all abide by that and establish appropriate rules for all sides.

As for the US taking water from the Great Lakes, I'm not sure what to think. How much water are we talking about? What would be the impact? Any further details?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Liberals would give them the water. Conservatives would sell it...which probably isn't a bad idea. Let the eastern bastards dehydrate in the dark (or something like that)

How can we sell it if they're taking it from their side fo the Lakes? Are we planning to build a dam in the middle of the lakes any time soon to keep the water on our side on our side?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
C'mon Ron.. You just took all the fun out this (apparently) non-existent debate.

You surrender too easily, Captain Morgan. Let me continue this debate if you can't:

How dare those Americans suggest building underwater nuclear weapons facilities in the Great Lakes!:angryfire:

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
You surrender too easily, Captain Morgan. Let me continue this debate if you can't:

How dare those Americans suggest building underwater nuclear weapons facilities in the Great Lakes!:angryfire:

Especially since the Conservatives have worked so hard at creating so-called "crisises" of radioactive hard water shortages with our underwater nuclear facilities - just so they could sell it to the Chinese...

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Especially since the Conservatives have worked so hard at creating so-called "crisises" of radioactive hard water shortages with our underwater nuclear facilities - just so they could sell it to the Chinese...

No kidding. And what's all the fuss about diverting all North American sewage into the Great Lakes? Just adding insult to injury, are we?8O

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

The Liberals would give it to the Chinese while the Conservatives would sell it...which probably isn't a bad idea. Let the eastern bastards do whatever you do without radioactive hard water, in the dark.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The Liberals would give it to the Chinese while the Conservatives would sell it...which probably isn't a bad idea. Let the eastern bastards do whatever you do without radioactive hard water, in the dark.

What's this? The Conservatives under Harper are oing to sell the Canadian side of the Great Lakes to China while the liberals under Obama are going to give the US side to China? Is Obama an idiot? That's prime real estate.

Liberalman was right. This really is a hot potato issue.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Yes, I also heard Harper was going to let PEI use the Great Lakes as a dump for spoiled potatoes. Huron should be completely filled in by 2043. The guy will do anything for the Green Gables vote.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yes, I also heard Harper was going to let PEI use the Great Lakes as a dump for spoiled potatoes. Huron should be completely filled in by 2043. The guy will do anything for the Green Gables vote.

Oh wow, we'd better do something to save the Great Lakes. But no worries, Trudeau... er, I meant, er, sorry. Ignatieff's here to save the day!

It's a bird....

Not, it's a plane....

No, it's.........

Super Iggyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
How can we sell it if they're taking it from their side fo the Lakes? Are we planning to build a dam in the middle of the lakes any time soon to keep the water on our side on our side?

No problem. With the Homeland Paranoia Ministry having unlimited funds just hint that Canadian pot or better yet, Democracy is being smuggled into the US UNDER water and presto there will be a wall.