N.S. Tories plan to make parents pay for kids' crimes

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
This has been proposed in the past and is a good start but why end at the parents..

I say let the kids pay for it when they get older with no rights to Welfare or Passport until their bill is totally paid off. This can be achieve in a loan repayment format that will follow them until the bill is paid off. Can't leave the country and can't collect Welfare until the bill is paid..

Parents can do their best to bring up their kids but eventually the kids have to be responsible to their own acts.. We keep saying we must not punish those who not deserve it yet we do so in this fashion.. Time to make the ones who commit crime pay..

This proposed legislation still has way to many ways out..

DARTMOUTH, N.S. -- The Nova Scotia Conservatives are planning to make parents pay for some of their children's crimes.

Premier Rodney MacDonald said Friday that parents could be liable for damages if their kids commit theft or property offences.

Under the proposed law, property owners could start civil action for damages up to $5,000.

At an election campaign news conference, MacDonald said the move is part of the Conservative plan to help victims of crime.

"People are frustrated when a young person damages their property or steals something from them and receives what they feel is a fairly light sentence," he said.

"The child usually has no means to pay for the damage or replace what is stolen, so the victim is left to do that. I don't think that's fair."

The premier adds that the new law would recognize certain parental defences.

He said those defences would include that the parent was exercising reasonable supervision over the child at the time the child committed the offence.

CTV.ca | N.S. Tories plan to make parents pay for kids' crimes

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Must it always be about money francis2004? It seems none of us are worth anything unless we pay with cash or credit, what a piss poor reflection on our culture, what a retarded stupid greedy bunch of blood sucking assholes we've become. Fat McDonald has no better idea than to bill parents when if he made wise changes to education and community but what am I saying he's a part of the capitalist pig machine, just like the rest , a lying usless bag of ****.

"Parents can do their best to bring up their kids but eventually the kids have to be responsible to their own acts.. We keep saying we must not punish those who not deserve it yet we do so in this fashion.. Time to make the ones who commit crime pay.."

What a heroic suggestion, you like to be tough on crime eh. Why not aim at the top then instead of picking on kids why not go after the whitecollar criminals, you know the pricks who get away with murder. I wonder where children get these criminal bling bling ides. I'll tell you where I think it comes from, it's our gougeing grabing sucking capitalist pig social overclass. Remove them and things would get better instantly.
Address the root of the problem not the defenceless symptom.

Last edited:

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I thought it always was that way in terms of civil court.

Not exactly sure what you mean, but I'll guess; you can't sue a minor, well I guess you can, but it is the parents who are responsible and end up paying, supposedly. The problem with civil court is that it costs money to bring an action against someone, which is really a good thing, (unlike the US where you can sue anyone for anything using an attorney who works on consignment), at least here we can weed out the nuisance actions either by judge or by cost. The other option is small claims court which is very cheap and can award damages up to $25,000 in some cases. The real problem is collecting; enforcing judgements in this country is difficult and not really persued with much vigour. But when you consider that most of the young miscreants come from families, (or whatever) of few means you probably have a snowball's chance of ever collecting.

This, and the proposed curfew have been put before the legislature in the past and never went very far, it just appears to be electioneering by fiddling Rodney. They are simply afraid to actually punish the miscreants to the full extent of the law, instead they give them a stern talking to and send them home, whoopdee do, that is not going to change. They know where the money is, ticketing those evil folks who refuse to wear helmets whilst on anything with wheels, use their cell phones while driving, smoke in their own vehicles, misidentify a fish they caught, sit around their chiminea when their use is banned, I could go on, but now I'm getting pi$$ed off.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Must it always be about money francis2004? It seems none of us are worth anything unless we pay with cash or credit, what a piss poor reflection on our culture, what a retarded stupid greedy bunch of blood sucking assholes we've become. Fat McDonald has no better idea than to bill parents when if he made wise changes to education and community but what am I saying he's a part of the capitalist pig machine, just like the rest , a lying usless bag of ****.

"Parents can do their best to bring up their kids but eventually the kids have to be responsible to their own acts.. We keep saying we must not punish those who not deserve it yet we do so in this fashion.. Time to make the ones who commit crime pay.."

What a heroic suggestion, you like to be tough on crime eh. Why not aim at the top then instead of picking on kids why not go after the whitecollar criminals, you know the pricks who get away with murder. I wonder where children get these criminal bling bling ides. I'll tell you where I think it comes from, it's our gougeing grabing sucking capitalist pig social overclass. Remove them and things would get better instantly.
Address the root of the problem not the defenceless symptom.

No it must not always be about money, but when it does why must the parents always have to pay for what a child who could be as old as 17 has done ?

I teach my children to do things and treat property with respect, but I cannot control what they do once they leave my door.. Can you ?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No it must not always be about money, but when it does why must the parents always have to pay for what a child who could be as old as 17 has done ?

I teach my children to do things and treat property with respect, but I cannot control what they do once they leave my door.. Can you ?
Sorry Francis but it's my belief that if children are properly taught right from wrong, they will do the right thing at home or away from home. Peer pressure is a bugger but they have to be taught about that too. Proper discipline for wrong doing helps to ensure that kids will do the right thing no matter where they are. If they know that they are going to cost their folks money then they should know that it's going to cost them the same money because they will have to pay back every dime, they should act accordingly. If at the age of 17 my kid cost me $50.00 or $500.00 he would have to find a way to earn the money to pay me back. They have to understand there are consequences for their actions. I realize you have some special circumstances so your case is a tad different. Younger kids should have privileges removed. Not just for a day. Take their DS, their computer, their PS3, etc. etc. all away and do it til it hurts. Not until you are bored with their bahaviour. (not you personally but all parents)

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think it's a good idea as long as the law is able to use a little discretion. Might make a few slacka$$ed parents exercise a little more effort into raising their kids.
I think that for the most part - that is the main point - making slack parents exercise some effort. My husband knows that since its (something wrong with my computer so when I want an apostrophe, Ièm getting an e (è). Quite weird. I will have to figure out what I have done. Anyway, he knows that when he goes to work tonight he will get call after call about kids removing manhole covers. A really dangerous thing for kids to do. It has been a really really nice warm day and it is Friday so the kids will be out late. One day someone will be severely hurt or killed because of it and then it will stop. I am sure that parents have to hear kids talking about doing that or hear them say they have heard of it being done. Every opportunity to tell them to tell their friends just how dangerous it is. It just gets worse every weekend. How does the offender pay for that.
Is the è only on my computer I cannot use any of my keys like question marks or whatever but I can go to Word and the keys work just fine.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Well this law is going in the wrong direction isn't it?

They had an inquest not long ago in Nova Scotia, about this kid that kept stealing cars and ended up killing some woman while running away from the police? One of the things that came out in the inquest was that he kept committing crimes because he felt that he wouldn't be severely punished.

If you know you don't have to pay for the crime, that is even better.

Also, I am sure they will have some problems with constitutionality here.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
I(something wrong with my computer so when I want an apostrophe, Ièm getting an e (è). Quite weird. I will have to figure out what I have done.

Maybe check the language and keyboard settings on your computer, yours may have been set to French, my daughter set mine for Russian and everything, I mean everything, the help tab and even web sites came up in Cyrillic. Just a thought.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I think that for the most part - that is the main point - making slack parents exercise some effort. My husband knows that since its (something wrong with my computer so when I want an apostrophe, Ièm getting an e (è). Quite weird. I will have to figure out what I have done. Anyway, he knows that when he goes to work tonight he will get call after call about kids removing manhole covers. A really dangerous thing for kids to do. It has been a really really nice warm day and it is Friday so the kids will be out late. One day someone will be severely hurt or killed because of it and then it will stop. I am sure that parents have to hear kids talking about doing that or hear them say they have heard of it being done. Every opportunity to tell them to tell their friends just how dangerous it is. It just gets worse every weekend. How does the offender pay for that.
Is the è only on my computer I cannot use any of my keys like question marks or whatever but I can go to Word and the keys work just fine.

VanIsle, your setting on your computer is set to French somewhere. If this only happen in Word then it is in the Word Setting / Options for "Keyboard" .. If it is happening everywhere, look under Computer options / Setting and see if you can it there under Language and change it to English.. Most use US or American English..