Far Right Alberta

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The Canadian Press: Alberta Crown Corp. to take stake in Precision Drilling through financing

Some on the fringes like to refer to Alberta as some radically right wing state. I have been saying for years that Alberta is pretty middle of the road and have not seen much difference in the general attitude of Albertans as compared to other provinces I've lived in. Ralph Klein and Peter Lougheed were liberal in every respect except title. Now the Alberta government is getting into the oil business through a crown corporation...something that would give PET or Layton a wet dream.

Reactions: CDNBear

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
No doubt that the gvt providing this cash infusion to Precision will ruffle a lot of feathers throughout the industry... It sure is a far cry from the fiscal conservatism during the Klein years.

Northboy

Electoral Member
Times are different now and ideologies are being put on the backburner in favour of pragmatism. Some jurisdictions, like the city of Chicago, are selling off their revenue generators just to cover immediate commitments as the muni bond markets in the States are drying up. Chicago sold off the concession to their parking meters for 75 years for 2 billion. 2 billion today, but a loss of a revenue stream, that'll come back to haunt them.

Alberta getting ahead of this by making some prudent investments in the public good makes a whole lot of sense and the future revenue of any of these investments is taxes that don't have to be levied.

I'd say to the Alberta government, "have at 'er".

Northboy

Electoral Member
Well, if not through royalties - at least through dividends. Not a bad step.

I think its fairer for government to take their "cut" on the dividend side, participating in profit, than on the royalty side.
Consider the mess in BC with stumpage rates in forestry. The current system is regressive to development and small business finds it tough to break in.

Good on Alberta for this one.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
It sure is a far cry from the fiscal conservatism during the Klein years.

There was only fiscal conservatism during the initial few years of the Klein dynasty. Once the budget was balanced and oil revenues skyrocketed, taxing and spending by the Alberta government under Klein would have made Ed Broadbent blush.