British MP banned from entering Canada

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Here's the headline:

Canadian Immigration bans British MP

OTTAWA — A spokesman for Jason Kenney says the immigration minister will not intervene in a decision to ban British anti-war MP George Galloway from Canada.
Galloway termed the decision "idiotic" after Citizenship and Immigration Canada deemed the outspoken politician inadmissible on security grounds.

Kenney spokesman Alykhan Velshi says Galloway has expressed sympathy for the Taliban cause in Afghanistan and provided financial support to the Palestinian group Hamas, listed in Canada as a terrorist group.

Velshi calls the decision a "matter of law" and while the minister has authority to overrule his officials, he will not go out of his way to provide special treatment to the 54-year-old British MP.

Galloway was to speak Monday at a Toronto conference entitled Resisting War from Gaza to Kandahar, hosted by the Toronto Coalition to Stop the War.

Galloway issued a statement saying "this idiotic ban shames Canada," and calling it "a very sad day for the Canada we have known and loved."

The Canadian Press: Canadian Immigration bans British MP

He is outspoken and fights a great fight. Here are some of my Galloway favorites:

Galloway VS SkyNet regarding the 2006 Israel/Lebanon war
YouTube - Galloway on Israel and lebanon 06/08/2006

Galloway VS the US Senate:
YouTube - George Galloway at the US Senate Part 1 part 1
YouTube - George Galloway at the US Senate Part 2 part 2

I don't expect Galloway to take our government's petty efforts to silence this outspoken critique of Neo-Conservativism without a fight.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't expect Galloway to take our government's petty efforts to silence this outspoken critique of Neo-Conservativism without a fight.
You are kidding right? He's a know and self confessed supporter of a listed terrorist group. Kind of like yourself. Unlike yourself, he doesn't hide his stupidity.

A matter of Canadian law, to which he is in breach, has been enforced. It applies to all people. It has been enforced against Musicians and Celebrities, Activists and Politicians. He wasn't the first, he won't be the last.

The letter of the Law applies to all, not just those that don't support your buddies the Hamas.

More agenda driven idiocy. :roll:

So what is it you want?

We should bend our laws for financial supporters of terrorist groups, terrorists? What? Does this mean you would support allowing Vellupillai Prabhakaran to come to Canada and recruit Tigers, financial aid...what?

Last edited:

OkiefromMuskoki

Nominee Member
Mar 18, 2009
Muskoka
Whether or not our government (or the US government) chooses at this point in time to call certain organizations "terrorist", it is a travesty of justice when an individual (that has committed no violence) and has been duly elected and accepted as a Member of Parliament for one of our closest neighbours' is denied entry to Canada because he has "supported terrorists"!!!!

Get real... this is, once again, Harper playing to that part of his constituency that looks forward to "The Rapture" and a return to Israel. It doesn't hurt that large political donations may be a stake!

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It is real simple folks.

The ONLY people that have a right to be in Canada are those that were born here. Full stop.

ANYBODY else can rightfully be kept out on a whim.

It is OUR sandbox, to play in as we wish.

And Galloway can go pound sand.

OkiefromMuskoki

Nominee Member
Mar 18, 2009
Muskoka
I read it right the first time.

Is that not a conflict of terms? How can it be rightfully if it is on a whim? The issue is not whether or not the Canadian government did this legally. The issue is whether or not it was carefully considered, just, and in the national interest.

I would put it to you that it didn't qualify on any of these criteria.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Get real... this is, once again, Harper playing to that part of his constituency that looks forward to "The Rapture" and a return to Israel. It doesn't hurt that large political donations may be a stake!

Oh puullleeeeeeease!! The Anti-terrorism Act was passes under the Liberals in Dec 2001.

83.02 Every one who, directly or indirectly, wilfully and without lawful justification or excuse, provides or collects property intending that it be used or knowing that it will be used, in whole or in part, in order to carry out

• (a) an act or omission that constitutes an offence referred to in subparagraphs (a)(i) to (ix) of the definition of ``terrorist activity'' in subsection 83.01(1), or

• (b) any other act or omission intended to cause death or serious bodily harm to a civilian or to any other person not taking an active part in the hostilities in a situation of armed conflict, if the purpose of that act or omission, by its nature or context, is to intimidate the public, or to compel a government or an international organization to do or refrain from doing any act,

is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term of not more than 10 years.
This man has financially supports a terrorist organizations. By Hamas' own words, Israel does not even have the right to exist. This man is a criminal. I can see you are going to make another entertaining addition to this forum.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
It is real simple folks.

The ONLY people that have a right to be in Canada are those that were born here. Full stop.

ANYBODY else can rightfully be kept out on a whim.

It is OUR sandbox, to play in as we wish.

And Galloway can go pound sand.

Too bad the aboriginal peoples didn't have immigration laws like that when our ancestors first arrived!

OkiefromMuskoki

Nominee Member
Mar 18, 2009
Muskoka
Cannuck

From the Canadian Government site The Anti-terrorism Act - Frequently Asked Questions

"
7. What are some of the safeguards built into the Anti-terrorism Act?

The ATA, like all Canadian laws, was crafted with due regard to the rule of law and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. The ATA includes a number of safeguards that balance the need to protect individuals from the threat of terrorist acts while ensuring their rights and freedoms are respected. Some of the safeguards in the ATA include:

• the definition of "terrorist activity" requires that intent and purpose elements be satisfied. The definition expressly excludes "advocacy, protest, dissent or stoppage of work" (where these are not intended to result in serious forms of specified harm);
  • judicial review, appeals, and judicial oversight mechanisms are incorporated into provisions like the listing process and seizure, restraint and forfeiture of property;
  • section 145 of the ATA required a committee or committees of Parliament to conduct a "comprehensive review of the provisions and operation of the Act," within three years from the date that the Act received Royal Assent, which was December 18, 2001. This review has now been completed. (See FAQs 12 to 19 below.)"
My bold
In addition, supplying food and medicine to starving Gazans does not qualify except in the minds of the Likudniks and their supporters.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I think it was Voltaire who said something like "I disagree with what you say, but defend to death your right to say it".

Denying the right for someone to speak is worse than anything he/she might have to say.

After all, everyone has a right not to listen to it.

Sure, it's our sand box. But what makes William Jefferson Clinton (you know the philandering former president, whom spewd his nonsense in Canada repeatedly) more qualified to play in it than an average British MP George Galloway to play in it??

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I always get a kick of those who point fingers at foreign governments for their treatment of dissenting points of view, but domestically are the first to cry for the muzzle and "thought police." I thought we pretended to be a democracy.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I think it was Voltaire who said something like "I disagree with what you say, but defend to death your right to say it".

Denying the right for someone to speak is worse than anything he/she might have to say.

After all, everyone has a right not to listen to it.

He hasn't been denied the right to speak. He can shoot off his mouth all he wants, he just can't do it in Canada. As has been pointed out, he isn't Canadian and has no inherent "right" to be allowed into our Country.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I read it right the first time.

Is that not a conflict of terms? How can it be rightfully if it is on a whim? The issue is not whether or not the Canadian government did this legally. The issue is whether or not it was carefully considered, just, and in the national interest.

I would put it to you that it didn't qualify on any of these criteria.

Not to play with semantics, but I might help a little old lady across the street on a whim........or I might rob a grocery store on a whim....we can preforn acts of good or evil impulsively.

george galloway is a rabble-rouser of the worst order, a supporter of our enemies, an apologist for those who are killing Canadian soldiers.

fine.

Let him in.

Maybe we can stone him to death, seeing as he is so in love with the people that consider that a proper form of execution.....for just about anything.

Seriously, Galloway has every right to believe whatever he wants, and to preach it.

Canada has every right to say "You are a foreigner, and an arsehole, an apologist for our enemies, stay the Hell out,"

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
He hasn't been denied the right to speak. He can shoot off his mouth all he wants, he just can't do it in Canada. As has been pointed out, he isn't Canadian and has no inherent "right" to be allowed into our Country.

And what coterie of brown shirts decide?