What could buy your vote?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
If you're a left-winger, what could a right-wing party offer that would make you at least consider voting for it?

If you're a right-winger, what could a left-wing party do to make you at least consider voting for it?

If you're a centrist, coudl could a non-centrist party do to make you at least consider voting for it?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Here's where I'd stand on these questions:

I could vote for a right-wing party that was non-nationalistic, non-militaristic, and non-imperialistic. The Libertarian Party comes to mind as a party I could at least consider in that it opposes sending troops abroad except strictly to defend Canadian territorial sovereignty.

I could vote for a left-wing party, even if it should increase my taxes, as long as it increases the tax-deductible portion of my charitable contributions. I might also consider a left-wing party if it focusses on redistributing wealth not through taxes, but rather through, for example, simply giving workers a vote on the board of directors in companies. In other words, a party that uses mechanisms other than taxation to try to redistribute wealth. Maybe the Green Party comes closest to that ideal?

Ironically enough, I find myself hard-pressed to find reasons to vote for a centrist party. I can think of only one such party, and that's the Liberal Party. i find that one to be lacking in any new ideas, any originality. It's merely a maintainer of the status quo. But I suppose if the Liberals or some other centrist party could combine the best of the left and the right, it's something I might consider.

So what could make you cross-vote so to speak?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Another thing that could get me voting left would be tax-shifting to resources. At least that way it's more user pay. Any direct personal tax should be charity-deductible. After all, if the left's only concern is with helping the poor, does it matter whether it's the government or a charity that does it?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
If you're a left-winger, what could a right-wing party offer that would make you at least consider voting for it?

If you're a right-winger, what could a left-wing party do to make you at least consider voting for it?

If you're a centrist, coudl could a non-centrist party do to make you at least consider voting for it?

Our votes are constantly being BOUGHT..

You either sell your vote for a tax break, more health care, tax protection, smaller government, a moral belief or any other slick campaign promise out there..

Trex

Electoral Member
Apr 4, 2007
Hither and yon
Our votes are constantly being BOUGHT..

You either sell your vote for a tax break, more health care, tax protection, smaller government, a moral belief or any other slick campaign promise out there..

I disagree with the premise that our votes are being bought.
Maybe its just semantics but I see that money being ours in the first place.
So they are not buying our vote, just trying to persuade us by taking less of our own money away from us.

Trex

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Four things- money, integrity, intelligence, concern for the good of the general population.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Next floor up. This one is lie, cheat, steal and deny....

That's what I was hoping we could get away from, but what's the chance, we have 308 politicians all trying to get at the same trough. Must be like a Boxing Day sale at A&B Sound, except it goes on for 365 days.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
No one could buy this prairie boy's vote. Once I am standing at the ballot box, no one dictates my vote. Mind you, I would take a million or so to praise your platform until that moment.

grainfedpraiboy

Electoral Member
Mar 15, 2009
Alberta The Last Best West
:lol:...what would happen to your property values then G fed?

I read several years ago that Canadian interest rates for consumers throughout the 80s and 90s were 2% higher then the global average because of the uncertainty associated with Quebec and one can only imagine how many billions Canadians have paid extra on their mortgages, car loans plus the extra the Fed has paid to support the debt.......the one incurred largely to appease Quebec.

Freed of the shackles of the ROC - I imagine my real estate investments would rapidly rebound and increase in value.

But don't worry, when the time comes I'll help you get across the wire to freedom :cool:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I read several years ago that Canadian interest rates for consumers throughout the 80s and 90s were 2% higher then the global average because of the uncertainty associated with Quebec and one can only imagine how many billions Canadians have paid extra on their mortgages, car loans plus the extra the Fed has paid to support the debt.......the one incurred largely to appease Quebec.

Freed of the shackles of the ROC - I imagine my real estate investments would rapidly rebound and increase in value.

But don't worry, when the time comes I'll help you get across the wire to freedom :cool:

Ahh, a Western separatist. My friend, I am one of the ones you are going to have to shoot.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
A written and signed guarantee with full accountability that the gov't would trim the fat off itself and increase efficiency by 3 or 4 times, otherwise I vote indie or green.
BTW, if the West finally had the brains and the balls to tell Ottawa it's fired for incompetence, I would defend the west.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

They could offer to get rid of the thousands upon thousands(and more every year!) of crows that are infesting our city. I would vote for them for sure if they did that!;-)

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

credibilty and honesty. That's probably why I haven't voted for Harper