Should the feds engage in second-language acquisition policy?

Should the federal government promote more second-language choice in schools?

• Yes.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Right now, most if not all provincial ministries of education have a closed second-language acquisition policy in their high schools. By closed, I mean that English-speakers must learn French and French-speakers must learn English, thus making it difficult for them to learn other languages, and thus creating a closed language-education system.

Though I realise that education is a provincial and territorial concern, considering how second-language acquisition policies in high school have an impact on Canada's international relations in trade, diplomacy, military, etc., should the federal government be active in working with the provincial ministries of education to promote more second-language options to high-school students? In England and Hungary, for instance, high school pupils are free to choose the second-language they wish to be tested in, and it's not uncommon in some countries for high schools to be free to choose from 20 or even more languages.

Considering that Canada's international companies, its diplomatic corp, its military, and others depend on these different language skills for various purposes, should the federal government promote more second-language options in provincial schools?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yes for sure it would be benificial, if we had more canadians learning russian for example then we can better understand those pesky russians on a more personal level during the artic boudry disputes, and hire more canadian translators then foreign translators?

Same with the languages of afghanistan, and madarin/cantonese for there respective reasons...

Heck mabye our kids could be tri-lingual, that would show those old worlders

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Trilingual might be pushing it; they have a hard enough time learning French! I think compulsory bilingualism would suffice, with trilingualism being optional. But as for bilingualism, just let students choose the language they want to be tested in rather than forcing French on them. If they want to learn French, fine. Just don't force them. And no, before anyone howls double-standards, I'd apply the same to Quebec. Their students should be free to choose the second-language they want to be tested in too of course.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Yea i agree, forcing people leads to kids not learning french in the school systems like me lol

Anyways as a canadian i might throw this out there:

My knowledge in languages go as far as

English (Mastered)
Finnish (Intermediate, 600 words)
French (Past basic understanding, but havent progressed as far as my finnish)
Russian (Basic, know the alphabet, 100 words, and a few expressions lol)

If you combine all my family lines, im roughly 3rd generation canadian, personally once i get a better handle in these languages im gunning for twi, and hindi... Its a hobby