Government Force CBC to buy US programs

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I was watching the CBC evening news with Dianne Swain and she said that because of the economic downturn the media outlets are suffering and in the news clip I learned that CTV is closing down two TV stations in southern Ontario and trying to sell another one.

Global or Canwest has put the short-lived E-Channel up for sale.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation or the CBC paid for by the Canadian taxpayer will be showing more cheap American made TV shows.

Harper’s American boot licking Conservatives still don’t get it America is our neighbor America is not our nation.

CBC was started early because of complaints that TV was not available in all areas so the Government of the day set up the network and provided top quality Canadian programming.

Over the years other networks came onto the Canadian landscape to the more lucrative markets and offered more American programming but CBC stuck with their Canadian made quality programming.

Now because of the economic turmoil advertising revenues are down, our Conservative government is ready to shut down Canada’s entertainment industry just like the Diefenbaker’s Conservatives shut down the Avro Arrow the Canadian made fighter jet program just to appease the Americans.

During the past federal election Stephen Harper did say that the Canadian entertainment is not worth assisting because all they do is go to gala’s and get drunk which cost him the majority so I have to presume that this is his way to pay them back.

CBC should continue to produce Canadian made shows.

The Conservative appointed president of the CBC said that the American made TV programs will be a lead into Canadian made programs which no one really believes judging from the grim faces of the CBC reporters that was sprinkled through the crowd of employees listening to the message they didn’t believe it.

CBC is all about our engilsh and french Canadian culture and it is worthwhile to save it.

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
Ah, the Canadian mindset at work.
"
Government Force CBC to buy US programs"

How is it being done? Guns? Bombs?

Here's what I read in The Star.
"More ads, more American programming, selling or downgrading parts of its TV/radio services and consolidating local stations are all on the table".

Your thread title might as well have been written by the Pravda city desk.
You say :
"paid for by the Canadian taxpayer will be showing more cheap American made TV shows."
Well if you could afford the quality American made TV shows then you could afford to make your own shows? No?

You say:
"our Conservative government is ready to shut down Canada’s entertainment industry just like the Diefenbaker’s Conservatives shut down the Avro Arrow the Canadian made fighter jet program just to appease the Americans."

I think to an American reading your post, and a few other articles on the subject, the reason is an internal Canadian financial issue. If the Canadian mindset is such that the reason can be attributed to you government shutting down your entertainment industry to appease the Americans, can you point me to your sources for this Canadian claim?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I was watching the CBC evening news with Dianne Swain and she said that because of the economic downturn the media outlets are suffering and in the news clip I learned that CTV is closing down two TV stations in southern Ontario and trying to sell another one.

Global or Canwest has put the short-lived E-Channel up for sale.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation or the CBC paid for by the Canadian taxpayer will be showing more cheap American made TV shows.

Harper’s American boot licking Conservatives still don’t get it America is our neighbor America is not our nation.

CBC was started early because of complaints that TV was not available in all areas so the Government of the day set up the network and provided top quality Canadian programming.

Over the years other networks came onto the Canadian landscape to the more lucrative markets and offered more American programming but CBC stuck with their Canadian made quality programming.

Now because of the economic turmoil advertising revenues are down, our Conservative government is ready to shut down Canada’s entertainment industry just like the Diefenbaker’s Conservatives shut down the Avro Arrow the Canadian made fighter jet program just to appease the Americans.

During the past federal election Stephen Harper did say that the Canadian entertainment is not worth assisting because all they do is go to gala’s and get drunk which cost him the majority so I have to presume that this is his way to pay them back.

CBC should continue to produce Canadian made shows.

The Conservative appointed president of the CBC said that the American made TV programs will be a lead into Canadian made programs which no one really believes judging from the grim faces of the CBC reporters that was sprinkled through the crowd of employees listening to the message they didn’t believe it.

CBC is all about our engilsh and french Canadian culture and it is worthwhile to save it.
so the Government of the day set up the network and provided top quality Canadian programming.
We're still waiting for it!!! And paying trough the teeth, so a media outlet can manipulate the news, unfairly bid on programming and breach common ethics by being funded and allowed to maintain advertising revenues.

Yep, the CBC is a bastion of awesomeness!

:roll:

The Con's should fold the ***** and let something either takes its place naturally or not at all.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Canadian made quality programming.

That is exactly why I find friends of the CBC hilarious. To begin with, CBC doesn't make anything of quality. The only good shows on it are produced by private corporations such as Salter Street films. Secondly, with over 100 channels available now, there is lots of quality programs on the tube and we no longer need taxpayers dollars to get it.

Reactions: CDNBear

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Nobody watched Canadian programing when it was being produced anyway. I hope they leave CBC north running as it has been because that did provide a community service to the inhabitants of the far, far-north.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
While I find myself agreeing with fewer and fewer Conservative policies - I do agree with ending the subsidies to the CBC. There should be a 5 year plan or something to reduce the funding - so that they can get into the "game" - cutting it overnight would not be right.

Besides CTV and global seem to have quite a few Canadian made shows on too now - so I don't see the arguement that we need them to "protect our culture" as valid any more...

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
This is one of those topics... Canadian Tv vs American Tv. We can't help it if we have better programs. If Canada really did have quality programs that Canadians actually watched there would not be an issue. It is all about the ratings and advertising money.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
This is one of those topics... Canadian Tv vs American Tv. We can't help it if we have better programs. If Canada really did have quality programs that Canadians actually watched there would not be an issue. It is all about the ratings and advertising money.

You have the better programs only by virtue of money....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
To be fair , there are great Canadian Programs. But, most of our actors and writers go to Hollywood.

This isn't unusual, most big name Aussie, Kiwi, South Africa and Brit actors, writers and directors go there too. Thats the Hub and it happens to be part of the USA.

Hollywood culture is (proportionally) as much Canadian Culture as it is American Culture. Go look at American Culture (such as the Heartland) vs Hollywood culture and you'll see what I mean, they are not the same thing.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I agree. It's a Hollywood thing. They have more writers and as Wolf said more money to pay good writers. So I imagine Canada has great writers and the place to make the good money is in Southern California. The same with the actors. If there is a good Canadian actor, he or she is going to get scooped up and sent to Hollywood for the big bucks. I guess that goes with the whole entertainment industry... music, comedy, etc.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Hell, even some really good Canadian shows get picked up in the States - like Cold Files or Trailer Park Boys (c'mon admit it ... the beeps on American TV are kinda fun) or Sue Thomas F B eye.... Without the finances that keep them alive, they'd just be low budget Canadian TV. Canada moans about its lack of culture ... but is loathe to encourage that which it still retains.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Hell, even some really good Canadian shows get picked up in the States - like Cold Files or Trailer Park Boys (c'mon admit it ... the beeps on American TV are kinda fun) or Sue Thomas F B eye.... Without the finances that keep them alive, they'd just be low budget Canadian TV. Canada moans about its lack of culture ... but is loathe to encourage that which it still retains.

I LOVED the Tom Green Show. He had me in stitches.

"Tasty corn...tasty corn...tasty,tasty, tasty corn."

RanchHand

Electoral Member
Feb 22, 2009
USA
To be fair , there are great Canadian Programs. But, most of our actors and writers go to Hollywood.

This isn't unusual, most big name Aussie, Kiwi, South Africa and Brit actors, writers and directors go there too. Thats the Hub and it happens to be part of the USA.

Hollywood culture is (proportionally) as much Canadian Culture as it is American Culture. Go look at American Culture (such as the Heartland) vs Hollywood culture and you'll see what I mean, they are not the same thing.

Wrong. The Hub of the entertainment business doesn't ''happen to be part of the USA". Americans made it the hub.
Hollywood culture is not as much Canadian culture. It's American. Create your own culture and your own identity. To me it looks like your national past time is to get your giggles throwing shxx balls at the US.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree. It's a Hollywood thing. They have more writers and as Wolf said more money to pay good writers. So I imagine Canada has great writers and the place to make the good money is in Southern California. The same with the actors. If there is a good Canadian actor, he or she is going to get scooped up and sent to Hollywood for the big bucks. I guess that goes with the whole entertainment industry... music, comedy, etc.

Yep.... List of Canadian comedians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Wrong. The Hub of the entertainment business doesn't ''happen to be part of the USA". Americans made it the hub.
Hollywood culture is not as much Canadian culture. It's American. Create your own culture and your own identity. To me it looks like your national past time is to get your giggles throwing shxx balls at the US.

No ... California weather made it the hub. If your going to talk, at least let it be fact.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No ... California weather made it the hub. If your going to talk, at least let it be fact.

But come on Wolf... California is part of the US. Most of the Soap Operas are filmed in New York. Americans made Hollywood and that is a fact just as Indians made Bollywood in India.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Wasn't the death of Canadian programing in the fact that their productions were intentionally filmed that left no doubt it was acting (older British programs were very similar). American programing was more to a realistic product where the obvious acting tidbits were eliminated, the public preferred that type of entertainment.