PM, Flaherty sending mixed messages on stimulus: Ignatieff

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff rises in the House of Commons to accuse the government of sending mixed messages on the economic stimulus plan.

PM, Flaherty sending mixed messages on stimulus: Ignatieff

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his finance minister need to get their stories straight on the planned stimulus package, Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff charged on Monday.

During question period in the House of Commons and later in a scrum with reporters, Ignatieff accused the government of sending mixed signals on the proposed budget.

He was referring to Harper’s comment Friday in New Brunswick — in response to Canada shedding 129,000 jobs in January — that the federal government must “stick to the course” outlined in the stimulus plan, estimated at $40 billion over two years.

Ignatieff pointed out that Finance Minister Jim Flaherty has said the government may be willing to do more in the future.

“I think it’s absolutely important that they stop contradicting each other,” Ignatieff said.

“[Harper is] saying, ‘I'm not changing what I’m doing, I’m sticking with it . And his minister of finance is saying, 'Well, as the job numbers get worse we may have to do something more.'"

“They’ve got to figure out what their strategy is. That’s my point,” Ignatieff said.

Menzies denies contradiction

During question period, Ted Menzies, parliamentary secretary to the finance minister, denied the prime minister and Flaherty had contradicted each other.

"It is a plain and simple message that the prime minister and the finance minister delivered, and it is as simple as the fact that the finance minister has said if the economy continues to decline that this government will not abandon Canadians," Menzies told the House.

He said Harper was "referring to the fact that he will not accept any amendments to this budget."

Menzies then slammed the NDP and the Bloc Québécois for refusing to support the budget and help more Canadians get through the economic slump.

"Mr. Speaker, it is incredibly important to Canadians that we get on with passing this budget so we can actually help Canadians," Menzies said.

Ignatieff said Harper has been missing in action when it comes to taking a leadership role on the economy. He contrasted it to the style of U.S. President Barack Obama, who will be making a prime-time address about the issue Monday night.

Ignatieff said everywhere he goes, people ask him, 'Where’s the prime minister?'"

“We’ve had the worst single job losses in 30 years and the prime minister is absent. It’s like a peek-a-boo government.”

When reporters asked what more Harper should be doing, in addition to the comments he made in New Brunswick about job losses, Ignatieff reiterated that Harper and Flaherty must stop contradicting each other.

Well, here we go with the same old games again.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
rofl
Mr. Pot calling Mr. Kettle "black". Iggy is almost blaming Harpy outright for this economic mess and hoping that everyone has forgotten the mess has been building since before Harpy even entertained the idea of going into politics. Might as well blame Santa Claus or Mother Goose.
I tell you, Gliberals are called GLIBerals for a reason.

Here's your little bit of color, Prax. :)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Geez, could have picked something more easier on the eyes perhaps? :p

While I do agree much of what Iggy is saying may or may not be true (But more liberal chest thumping over nothing) they did have everything sorta balanced and there was money in the EI..... then some little blue papa smurf got into power and blew all that suplus and left us in the hole we're currently facing.

I'm sure both are to blame, in fact, both are, but one is more at fault then the other.