What do you look for in a party leader?


Tyler
#1
I attended the Ontario NDP leadership debate. It was disappointing to say the least.



Here is my experience:
Ontario NDP Leadership "Debate" - Feb.05, 2009 - Blables (external - login to view)

My question is, what do YOU look for in your party leader?

- Tyler
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#2
If they didn't answer your question the way you wanted and you felt disapointed, you should have stood up, interupt whoever was talking, and say so..... put the boots to them.

Tell them you expected it to last until 6pm and therefore all their asses should remain where they are until then. Who cares if they're busy people, we all are and they should be greatful that you guys showed up in the first place.

I would have repeated my question "What makes you different from the other candidates? And don't give me a one-word answer, this isn't high school"

In the end, I would have voiced my disapointment and told them directly that they have wasted your time.

They don't like it? Too bad, they should listen to voters if they ever want to win anything.

What do I look for in a leader?

Nothing

I don't look for leaders. I look for those who want the job, listen to hear if they know what they're talking about, listen to hear if I agree with what they plan to do, and if everything lines up, I'll vote for them..... but they don't lead me or anybody else.... we lead them, they're supposed to do the work we want them to do, not the other way around, or they don't get our vote and they can hit the road.

And if I was in their shoes, I would expect nothing less then people to do the same to me...... that's how we keep our democracy in check.

Added:

For example, if I was up there instead of one of the others, I would answer your question as best I could, I would point out the differences in perspective between each topic. If I didn't answer you properly, I would expect you to stand up and tell me so and make sure I don't leave until I do...... tear me a new one if you must.... that's your right and that's what I would expect for what I am trying to do, which is to win your vote.
 
VanIsle
#3
Someone who knows better then to embarrass their child by kissing/hugging them in front of the other kids at school; someone who wears blue sweaters well and someone who can bring us out of this economic doldrums and that would all be Harper.
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#4
I look for honesty, integrity, transparancy and accountability in a political party. Currently, none of the major parties can satisfy that requirement

We don't get to vote for the "leader"
 
lone wolf
Free Thinker
#5
A great record collection, a well-stocked bar and a lampshade on the head.
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerView Post

I attended the Ontario NDP leadership debate. It was disappointing to say the least.



Here is my experience:
Ontario NDP Leadership "Debate" - Feb.05, 2009 - Blables (external - login to view)

My question is, what do YOU look for in your party leader?

- Tyler

I would look for someone who hasn't been convicted of any felonies in the past couple of years, isn't connected with Hell's Angels or any other detrimental gangs, someone who isn't prosperous (a sign of ripping someone off over a period of time), but is comfortable enough that he doesn't have to steal from his supporters. He should have a working knowledge of English but isn't too glib. His wardrobe should be checked out for worn work boots, coveralls and other well used work related attire. He should also be able to speak for two minutes without lying.
 
GreenFish66
#7
A Strong/ fair / balanced approach to leadership, are a few of the traits I look for in a good leader....Sometimes it is far easier to go where the majority of the money is ..Over what is the proper thing to do...A good leader can/will take on the heat when making tough decisions.A leader works not soley in the best interest of oneself , but what is ultimatley best for the Team ...The whole..

Not easy being a great leader..Especially if you try to take the lead without knowing where your going...

Sure Leadership has its perks ,but being a wingman is sometimes the most rewarding position to be in
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

I would look for someone who hasn't been convicted of any felonies in the past couple of years, isn't connected with Hell's Angels or any other detrimental gangs, someone who isn't prosperous (a sign of ripping someone off over a period of time), but is comfortable enough that he doesn't have to steal from his supporters. He should have a working knowledge of English but isn't too glib. His wardrobe should be checked out for worn work boots, coveralls and other well used work related attire. He should also be able to speak for two minutes without lying.

This guy????

 
GreenFish66
#9
Tyr ...I think the question is ..What do look for in a party leader ..Not what you don't like in Prison.....Good leaders come up with solutions...Not more problems ....cup is always half full ..not half empty..(lol)
 
Praxius
Free Thinker
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenFish66View Post

Tyr ...I think the question is ..What do look for in a party leader ..Not what you don't like in Prison.....Good leaders come up with solutions...Not more problems ....cup is always half full ..not half empty..(lol)

Well that depends..... if you fill the cup to halfway, then it's half full.... if you drink the liquid down to halfway, then it's half empty..... if you arrive and the cup is at the halfway, check for lip stains on the rim and it's most likely half empty.... if there are none.... then it is most likely half full.

Of course if you want to play it safe, you could just say it's halfway.
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#11
[quote=GreenFish66;1048766]Tyr ...I think the question is ..What do look for in a party leader ..Not what you don't like in Prison.....Good leaders come up with solutions...Not more problems ....cup is always half full ..not half empty..(lol)

quote]

...and you're solution/answer is???

My answer (and still valid) is WE don't get to pick Party Leaders. We pick MP's who in turn pick party leaders

....unless it's different in your cell??
 
Machjo
#12
What do I look for in a party leader? Whether he's in my riding. If he's not in my riding anyway, then no matter how brilliant he might be, for all I know his representative in my riding could be a complete moron.
 
Nuggler
#13
Any party i'm goin to the leader's gotta have enough money to buy the beer, eh. An the food.

An, I want a doggy bag to take home.

As far as political party; mehhhhhhhh, long as the leaders' not in jail at the present.

Which is probably why we have the political leadership we do.
 
Machjo
#14
Hey, I'm a teetotaller; what good would beer do me? I want him to invite me to a banquet party at a quality vegetarian restaurant or Indian restaurant. Then we're talkin'.
 
Francis2004
#15
A good Leader is someone who will be able to pick the right people to run the Party and hopefully governemnt he will lead.

He will be a strong inspiration to those chosen to fill the important roles and make choices with those people when they come to him with questions.

He will also stand and take the crap in the House when things go wrong and not blame others for the mistake. He will find new solutions to fix the problems and not shy away.

Most of all he will not have fear of removing any of those appointed to a position if a problem arises and if resolved put them back if they so deserve to be back in that position.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over..
 
Machjo
#16
A good Leader is someone who will be able to pick the right people to run the Party and hopefully governemnt he will lead.

I fully agree. Catering experience is certainly a plus.

He will be a strong inspiration to those chosen to fill the important roles and make choices with those people when they come to him with questions.

Absolutely right. A good orator is always entertaining.

He will also stand and take the crap in the House when things go wrong and not blame others for the mistake. He will find new solutions to fix the problems and not shy away.

Spot on. We don't need to end the day on a bad note. He should be able to settle with management and get on with the party.

Most of all he will not have fear of removing any of those appointed to a position if a problem arises and if resolved put them back if they so deserve to be back in that position.

Fully agree. If a drunken guest causes a ruckus, get someone to take him into the hallway or the washroom until he sobers up.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over...

Absolutely. Applinting designated drivers is always good for that.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#17
What do you look for in a party leader? Disposability incompetence and complete servility to the masters banks.
 
Francis2004
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

A good Leader is someone who will be able to pick the right people to run the Party and hopefully governemnt he will lead.

I fully agree. Catering experience is certainly a plus.

He will be a strong inspiration to those chosen to fill the important roles and make choices with those people when they come to him with questions.

Absolutely right. A good orator is always entertaining.

He will also stand and take the crap in the House when things go wrong and not blame others for the mistake. He will find new solutions to fix the problems and not shy away.

Spot on. We don't need to end the day on a bad note. He should be able to settle with management and get on with the party.

Most of all he will not have fear of removing any of those appointed to a position if a problem arises and if resolved put them back if they so deserve to be back in that position.

Fully agree. If a drunken guest causes a ruckus, get someone to take him into the hallway or the washroom until he sobers up.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over...

Absolutely. Applinting designated drivers is always good for that.

Under your added conditions it would be mandatory he also bring the Beer, Pop and Chips...
 
Francis2004
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

What do you look for in a party leader? Disposability incompetence and complete servility to the masters banks.

Every time I see you post those famous words I cannot help to think so today I will say, would you not rather say master baters ( mastur bater )then bankers ? ha ha ha
 
Tyler
#20
Thanks for all the input!

No one seems to have caught the blatant error in one of the posts. Someone mentioned you can't vote for the leader.

You can, indeed, vote for the leader of the party you're in. If you really don't like the leader in the party that you support, join the party and cast your vote at the leadership convention.

Now you know.
Last edited by Tyler; Feb 7th, 2009 at 08:13 AM..
 
JLM
No Party Affiliation
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by TyrView Post

I look for honesty, integrity, transparancy and accountability in a political party. Currently, none of the major parties can satisfy that requirement

We don't get to vote for the "leader"

You make a lot of sense Tyr, but realistic, you ain't.
 
Francis2004
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerView Post

Thanks for all the input!

No one seems to have caught the blatant error in one of the posts. Someone mentioned you can't vote for the leader.

You can, indeed, vote for the leader of the party you're in. If you really don't like the leader in the party that you support, join the party and cast your vote at the leadership convention.

Now you know.

That depends as a Party Leader does not require a Leadership Campaign to be elected. So your point is invalid to Tyr's comments..

I have also been part of two leadership campaigns and in both cases you were not required to be Canadian to Vote for the Leader.. That is Party Policy and a bad one at that.. Only proof of landed immigrant status is required but not of Canadian Citizenship..

Do you not see a flaw in that system ?

Why are people voting for a Leader and electing him if they will not be permitted to vote for him in the General Election ? They are, in many cases, changing the outcome of who is leader when in reality be when they will have no say in this countries main election. But you see they already have, by affecting the outcome of the leadership campaign when there is one.

I Challenge you to check Party Policy for the Conservative, Liberal or NDP ( 3 Major Parties ) to see if that has changed since I left politics years ago.

What do you say about the flaw now..
Last edited by Francis2004; Feb 7th, 2009 at 02:13 PM..Reason: corrections
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerView Post

Thanks for all the input!

No one seems to have caught the blatant error in one of the posts. Someone mentioned you can't vote for the leader.

You can, indeed, vote for the leader of the party you're in. If you really don't like the leader in the party that you support, join the party and cast your vote at the leadership convention.

Now you know.

That makes absolutely no sense. You wvote for an MP, not the leader of a party. The "assumption" would be that the 99% of the people that vote don't
"belong" to any party, so if you are not that 1%, you don't vote for the leader

now you lnow
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by SirFrancis2004View Post

Every time I see you post those famous words I cannot help to think so today I will say, would you not rather say master baters ( mastur bater )then bankers ? ha ha ha

You should ask yourself why that comes into your mind first. I believe CBC radio did try to get away with it but to no avail.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
#25
What do you look for in a party leader? When you buy a new car you want features you can feel comfortable with and trust. A very important option in a new politician is the groveling and slobbering index. If that's paid attention to during purchase you should get many years of trouble free string pulling from your brand new scum bag politicion.
 
Francis2004
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

You should ask yourself why that comes into your mind first. I believe CBC radio did try to get away with it but to no avail.

Ha ha ha, I don't ask why.. I already know I am quite
 
Liberalman
#27
What do I look in a party leader?

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff is a perfect example of a political leader.

If an election were held today Michael Ignatieff would win a probable majority just because he knows the media and media gets politicians elected if used right.

Even with the limited funds the Liberal war chest has, the Liberals would win.

The problem with Stephen Harper is that he had a chance to win the last election but never got the majority, which he should have won because he was running against Dion.

Harper has persona of a leader but he keeps on making big blunders because he keeps on listening to his American consultants who refuse to accept the fact that American voters and Canadian voters are in fact different.

Attack ads work on American voters because they take everything at face value but not on Canadian voters because they usually will ask questions and do research on their choices.

The Conservative base in the prairies view Harper as a messiah of sorts that will bring religious values in the forefront to come up with legislation to protect the traditional family way of life.

The views and beliefs on Stephen Harper are changing because right in the belly of the Conservative powerhouse in Edmonton Strathcona riding an NDP was elected because those Albertans in that riding see what the Conservatives are not doing and how they are breaking their promises.

What the Conservative party needs is a new leader, but they are stuck with Harper because if they try to get a new leader the Government will fall and the Liberals will get a majority.

Now it is possible to teach old dog new tricks so there is hope for Stephen he just has to re-invent himself, he has to get in touch with his Canadian roots.

A good political leader has to remember that he or she is working for the Canadian voters and no one else.

A good example of a good leader was a Toronto’s Mayor Mel Lastman who was mayor in the city of North York from 1972 to 1997 and when North York and five other cities were amalgamated to a mega city he got elected to that job from 1997 to 2000 where he had to resign due to health concerns so he left at the age of sixty-seven.

His claim to fame was he got rid of the voice mail system at city hall so you get someone live to talk to.

Mel also put the extra scoop on the snowplows and no snow banks were left in front of the driveways when the plow came

He had a weekly live Cable TV show where he would take questions from the voters so he could look you in the eye when he answered a question on your TV screen.

Maybe Harper should produce a monthly Ask The Prime Minister TV show now that would be dreaming.
 
Tyr
Free Thinker
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

What do I look in a party leader?

Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff is a perfect example of a political leader.

If an election were held today Michael Ignatieff would win a probable majority just because he knows the media and media gets politicians elected if used right.

Even with the limited funds the Liberal war chest has, the Liberals would win.

The problem with Stephen Harper is that he had a chance to win the last election but never got the majority, which he should have won because he was running against Dion.

Harper has persona of a leader but he keeps on making big blunders because he keeps on listening to his American consultants who refuse to accept the fact that American voters and Canadian voters are in fact different.

Attack ads work on American voters because they take everything at face value but not on Canadian voters because they usually will ask questions and do research on their choices.

The Conservative base in the prairies view Harper as a messiah of sorts that will bring religious values in the forefront to come up with legislation to protect the traditional family way of life.

The views and beliefs on Stephen Harper are changing because right in the belly of the Conservative powerhouse in Edmonton Strathcona riding an NDP was elected because those Albertans in that riding see what the Conservatives are not doing and how they are breaking their promises.

What the Conservative party needs is a new leader, but they are stuck with Harper because if they try to get a new leader the Government will fall and the Liberals will get a majority.

Now it is possible to teach old dog new tricks so there is hope for Stephen he just has to re-invent himself, he has to get in touch with his Canadian roots.

A good political leader has to remember that he or she is working for the Canadian voters and no one else.

A good example of a good leader was a Toronto’s Mayor Mel Lastman who was mayor in the city of North York from 1972 to 1997 and when North York and five other cities were amalgamated to a mega city he got elected to that job from 1997 to 2000 where he had to resign due to health concerns so he left at the age of sixty-seven.

His claim to fame was he got rid of the voice mail system at city hall so you get someone live to talk to.

Mel also put the extra scoop on the snowplows and no snow banks were left in front of the driveways when the plow came

He had a weekly live Cable TV show where he would take questions from the voters so he could look you in the eye when he answered a question on your TV screen.

Maybe Harper should produce a monthly Ask The Prime Minister TV show now that would be dreaming.

A good example of a good leader was a Toronto’s Mayor Mel Lastman who was mayor in the city of North York from 1972 to 1997 and when North York and five other cities were amalgamated to a mega city he got elected to that job from 1997 to 2000 where he had to resign due to health concerns so he left at the age of sixty-seven.

His claim to fame was he got rid of the voice mail system at city hall so you get someone live to talk to.



Any politician that could do that gets my vote for life. I wouldn't care what party he belonged to
 
Machjo
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerView Post

Thanks for all the input!

No one seems to have caught the blatant error in one of the posts. Someone mentioned you can't vote for the leader.

You can, indeed, vote for the leader of the party you're in. If you really don't like the leader in the party that you support, join the party and cast your vote at the leadership convention.

Now you know.

Yes, you can vote for your party leader at a party convention, but you can't vote for a party leader in a general election. Remember too that some of us are non-partisan and so would be uninterested in joining a party.
 
Machjo
#30
Also, some of us would like our candidates to be non-partisan representatives of our riding and not slaves to the party leader.
 

Similar Threads

50
Ignatieff Leader & the Liberal Party
by Goober | Nov 1st, 2009
7
NEW Green Party leader
by Karlin | Dec 8th, 2006
133
Marijuana Party Leader Joins Liberals
by SirKevin | May 16th, 2005
no new posts