What do you look for in a party leader?

Tyler

Oct 3, 2008
Mississauga
www.blables.com
I attended the Ontario NDP leadership debate. It was disappointing to say the least.

Here is my experience:
Ontario NDP Leadership "Debate" - Feb.05, 2009 - Blables

My question is, what do YOU look for in your party leader?

- Tyler

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
If they didn't answer your question the way you wanted and you felt disapointed, you should have stood up, interupt whoever was talking, and say so..... put the boots to them.

Tell them you expected it to last until 6pm and therefore all their asses should remain where they are until then. Who cares if they're busy people, we all are and they should be greatful that you guys showed up in the first place.

I would have repeated my question "What makes you different from the other candidates? And don't give me a one-word answer, this isn't high school"

In the end, I would have voiced my disapointment and told them directly that they have wasted your time.

They don't like it? Too bad, they should listen to voters if they ever want to win anything.

What do I look for in a leader?

Nothing

I don't look for leaders. I look for those who want the job, listen to hear if they know what they're talking about, listen to hear if I agree with what they plan to do, and if everything lines up, I'll vote for them..... but they don't lead me or anybody else.... we lead them, they're supposed to do the work we want them to do, not the other way around, or they don't get our vote and they can hit the road.

And if I was in their shoes, I would expect nothing less then people to do the same to me...... that's how we keep our democracy in check.

Added:

For example, if I was up there instead of one of the others, I would answer your question as best I could, I would point out the differences in perspective between each topic. If I didn't answer you properly, I would expect you to stand up and tell me so and make sure I don't leave until I do...... tear me a new one if you must.... that's your right and that's what I would expect for what I am trying to do, which is to win your vote.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Someone who knows better then to embarrass their child by kissing/hugging them in front of the other kids at school; someone who wears blue sweaters well and someone who can bring us out of this economic doldrums and that would all be Harper.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I look for honesty, integrity, transparancy and accountability in a political party. Currently, none of the major parties can satisfy that requirement

We don't get to vote for the "leader"

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I attended the Ontario NDP leadership debate. It was disappointing to say the least.

Here is my experience:
Ontario NDP Leadership "Debate" - Feb.05, 2009 - Blables

My question is, what do YOU look for in your party leader?

- Tyler
I would look for someone who hasn't been convicted of any felonies in the past couple of years, isn't connected with Hell's Angels or any other detrimental gangs, someone who isn't prosperous (a sign of ripping someone off over a period of time), but is comfortable enough that he doesn't have to steal from his supporters. He should have a working knowledge of English but isn't too glib. His wardrobe should be checked out for worn work boots, coveralls and other well used work related attire. He should also be able to speak for two minutes without lying.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
A Strong/ fair / balanced approach to leadership, are a few of the traits I look for in a good leader....Sometimes it is far easier to go where the majority of the money is ..Over what is the proper thing to do...A good leader can/will take on the heat when making tough decisions.A leader works not soley in the best interest of oneself , but what is ultimatley best for the Team ...The whole..

Not easy being a great leader..Especially if you try to take the lead without knowing where your going...

Sure Leadership has its perks ,but being a wingman is sometimes the most rewarding position to be in 8O;-):lol:

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
I would look for someone who hasn't been convicted of any felonies in the past couple of years, isn't connected with Hell's Angels or any other detrimental gangs, someone who isn't prosperous (a sign of ripping someone off over a period of time), but is comfortable enough that he doesn't have to steal from his supporters. He should have a working knowledge of English but isn't too glib. His wardrobe should be checked out for worn work boots, coveralls and other well used work related attire. He should also be able to speak for two minutes without lying.

This guy????

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Tyr ...I think the question is ..What do look for in a party leader ..Not what you don't like in Prison..:)...Good leaders come up with solutions...Not more problems ....cup is always half full ..not half empty..(lol)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Tyr ...I think the question is ..What do look for in a party leader ..Not what you don't like in Prison..:)...Good leaders come up with solutions...Not more problems ....cup is always half full ..not half empty..(lol)

Well that depends..... if you fill the cup to halfway, then it's half full.... if you drink the liquid down to halfway, then it's half empty..... if you arrive and the cup is at the halfway, check for lip stains on the rim and it's most likely half empty.... if there are none.... then it is most likely half full.

Of course if you want to play it safe, you could just say it's halfway. :p

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop

quote]

...and you're solution/answer is???

My answer (and still valid) is WE don't get to pick Party Leaders. We pick MP's who in turn pick party leaders

....unless it's different in your cell??

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What do I look for in a party leader? Whether he's in my riding. If he's not in my riding anyway, then no matter how brilliant he might be, for all I know his representative in my riding could be a complete moron.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
:eek:ccasion5:Any party i'm goin to the leader's gotta have enough money to buy the beer, eh. An the food.

An, I want a doggy bag to take home.

As far as political party; mehhhhhhhh, long as the leaders' not in jail at the present.

:cool:Which is probably why we have the political leadership we do.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hey, I'm a teetotaller; what good would beer do me? I want him to invite me to a banquet party at a quality vegetarian restaurant or Indian restaurant. Then we're talkin'.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
A good Leader is someone who will be able to pick the right people to run the Party and hopefully governemnt he will lead.

He will be a strong inspiration to those chosen to fill the important roles and make choices with those people when they come to him with questions.

He will also stand and take the crap in the House when things go wrong and not blame others for the mistake. He will find new solutions to fix the problems and not shy away.

Most of all he will not have fear of removing any of those appointed to a position if a problem arises and if resolved put them back if they so deserve to be back in that position.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over..

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
A good Leader is someone who will be able to pick the right people to run the Party and hopefully governemnt he will lead.

I fully agree. Catering experience is certainly a plus.

He will be a strong inspiration to those chosen to fill the important roles and make choices with those people when they come to him with questions.

Absolutely right. A good orator is always entertaining.

He will also stand and take the crap in the House when things go wrong and not blame others for the mistake. He will find new solutions to fix the problems and not shy away.

Spot on. We don't need to end the day on a bad note. He should be able to settle with management and get on with the party.

Most of all he will not have fear of removing any of those appointed to a position if a problem arises and if resolved put them back if they so deserve to be back in that position.

Fully agree. If a drunken guest causes a ruckus, get someone to take him into the hallway or the washroom until he sobers up.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over...

Absolutely. Applinting designated drivers is always good for that.

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

I fully agree. Catering experience is certainly a plus.

Absolutely right. A good orator is always entertaining.

Spot on. We don't need to end the day on a bad note. He should be able to settle with management and get on with the party.

Fully agree. If a drunken guest causes a ruckus, get someone to take him into the hallway or the washroom until he sobers up.

Of course a good Leader must always project a good image and one that people can trust. Once the trust is lost his career is basically over...

Absolutely. Applinting designated drivers is always good for that.

Under your added conditions it would be mandatory he also bring the Beer, Pop and Chips...

Tyler

Oct 3, 2008
Mississauga
www.blables.com
Thanks for all the input!

No one seems to have caught the blatant error in one of the posts. Someone mentioned you can't vote for the leader.

You can, indeed, vote for the leader of the party you're in. If you really don't like the leader in the party that you support, join the party and cast your vote at the leadership convention.

Now you know.

Last edited: