Is the end of the Conservative era looming?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
Albeit I will be the first to admit I am a centre politic person. But do I wish to see this happen not in my life time.. I have always been a centre right person and even tough I believe the politics in Ottawa right now are to attract votes I have often looked at the Conservative Party to keep others in line.. I have also hoped for certain candidates to get in as leaders I would vote for.

I have voted Independent as I did not like the candidates in my last election riding.. This says much about who we have..

I have always believed each Party will remain and so I hope the best to the Conservative party..

Maclean's Andrew Coyne wrote in his blog that, with the budget, the Tories "put an end to conservatism in Canada -- as a philosophy, as a movement."

"With this historic budget, the Conservatives' already headlong retreat from principle has become a rout: a great final leap into the void," Coyne wrote.

CTV.ca | Is the end of the Conservative era looming?

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
No - the end of the Conservative era is not looming. Booming would be a better word and it's not connected to ending.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
It ended in Canada with Mulroney and in the US a few yrs bcak. People just got tired of the greed and corruption. We may still see the conservative fringe have alittle influence, but in Canada they will soon be overtaken by even the NDP

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
I suspect that the Governor General told Harper he needed to win at least one vote of confidence before coming back looking for an election. IOW, if Harper didn't turn out a budget the Liberals would support he would have lost the government and the GG would have gone to the coalition.

This was a budget of necessity for both the Conservatives and Liberals. It kept the Conservatives in power and allowed the Liberals to support it and avoid a coalition with the NDP.

If the Conservatives ever get a majority government or find themselves in a position where the Liberals will do anything to avoid an election, you can expect them to go back to their conservatives ways.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This was a budget of necessity for both the Conservatives and Liberals. It kept the Conservatives in power and allowed the Liberals to support it and avoid a coalition with the NDP.

If the Conservatives ever get a majority government or find themselves in a position where the Liberals will do anything to avoid an election, you can expect them to go back to their conservatives ways.

Isn't that pretty much exactly the situation right now? 8O

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No - the end of the Conservative era is not looming. Booming would be a better word and it's not connected to ending.

The last election, the Conservatives got more votes than the Liberals and the
Bloc Quebecois combined. The NDP seem to be the Party currently that seem
to be at the end of an era, if you don't count the Green Party as they didn't get
a single seat this last time? 8O

I'm not very impressed with the Conservatives in the last couple of months, but
looking at the current alternatives, they're still the best out of the lot so far...

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
It ended in Canada with Mulroney and in the US a few yrs bcak. People just got tired of the greed and corruption. We may still see the conservative fringe have alittle influence, but in Canada they will soon be overtaken by even the NDP
Surely you jest! The NDP will be dead and gone before the next election. If they are not gone entirely, they will be below the Green Party.

I suspect that the Governor General told Harper he needed to win at least one vote of confidence before coming back looking for an election. IOW, if Harper didn't turn out a budget the Liberals would support he would have lost the government and the GG would have gone to the coalition.

No - the GG would have called an election. The Conservative party would have won. Harper knew people did not want another election and he knew it was too costly. He did what the Liberals wanted knowing that when things go bad, people will know it is the Liberal party's fault. Ignatieff will only give us American style politics. The man lived there for 30 yrs. - it's what he knows.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The last election, the Conservatives got more votes than the Liberals and the
Bloc Quebecois combined. The NDP seem to be the Party currently that seem
to be at the end of an era, if you don't count the Green Party as they didn't get
a single seat this last time? 8O

I'm not very impressed with the Conservatives in the last couple of months, but
looking at the current alternatives, they're still the best out of the lot so far...
The Conservatives had to bend to the will of the liberals for now. Things will get better.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa

That be some strong glue you're smokin, the libs will take over fix everything again and I'm sure the cons will get power after that and ruin it all. Just like Bush and the cons ruined the economy and Americas standing in the world and just like Harper and the cons ruined the economy while getting us back into deficit.

Honestly, who votes for these clowns.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"Honestly, who votes for these clowns."- I do when the alternatives are as bad as we have right now.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
"Honestly, who votes for these clowns."- I do when the alternatives are as bad as we have right now.

So you voted for the deficit economy ruiners who up until a few months ago didn't see any problems at all?

Wow, even a throw away vote is better than that.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Surely you jest! The NDP will be dead and gone before the next election. If they are not gone entirely, they will be below the Green Party.

No - the GG would have called an election. The Conservative party would have won. Harper knew people did not want another election and he knew it was too costly. He did what the Liberals wanted knowing that when things go bad, people will know it is the Liberal party's fault. Ignatieff will only give us American style politics. The man lived there for 30 yrs. - it's what he knows.

How soon we forget. Remember tyhe good old days when Chrest and Campbell got to play footsies as the lone Conservative members of parliment? It wasn't that long ago and came right on the heels of another well known and vilified Conservative PM

I think Harper may have some concern about being able to field a conservative baseball team come next election

The NDP will form the official opposition after the next federal election

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
The Conservatives had to bend to the will of the liberals for now. Things will get better.

Lol.....then your cons aren't very strong are they? Give up everything they were suppose to believe in to keep power? That's just plain sad and judging by the reaction of voting cons since the budget they would agree. At least the Libs could balance the books and run a good economy, it only took Harper a few years to mess everything up with the help of his con buddy Bush. Good thing he wasn't around for the Iraq war, we'd be there as well.

I saw this coming when Reformers ranted about pensions for MPs and then they all quietly opted into the pension program later on.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Lol.....then your cons aren't very strong are they? Give up everything they were suppose to believe in to keep power? That's just plain sad and judging by the reaction of voting cons since the budget they would agree. At least the Libs could balance the books and run a good economy, it only took Harper a few years to mess everything up with the help of his con buddy Bush. Good thing he wasn't around for the Iraq war, we'd be there as well.

I saw this coming when Reformers ranted about pensions for MPs and then they all quietly opted into the pension program later on.
No I disagree completely. I think Harper bent to the will of the liberals for two reasons. One to show he would co-operate with other parties and two to show the public that when things go the liberal way instead of the budget he wanted, things will get worse in Canada. The liberals will be to blame for their insistance and even for their agreement with the budget. You have to know that they agreed with the budget because changes they wanted were there for one thing and so that an election would not have to be called because they don't have the money for an election nor is their party ready for one. I believe that Ignatieff has much higher aspirations than to be the PM.