Bloc ready for election, but prefers coalition,

What will happen when Parliament sits again ?

• Will the opposition support the Governemnt ?

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Will there be an Election ?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Will there be a Coalition Government ?

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Do you believe there is another option ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
As we get ready for Prime Minister Harper's Budget we are bound to start hearing the sounds of the opposition calls for such things as an Election or the coalition such as this news article.

Part of the problem is that first Parliament must return to Ottawa and the House must sit again before any of this sabre ratteling can really happen..

MONTREAL -- Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe says his party will be ready for a federal election although he insists a coalition government is still the best answer to the current economic crisis.
CTV.ca | Bloc ready for election, but prefers coalition

The question is simple.. Do you believe there will be a change in Governemnt ?

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC
I prefer to think there will be an election myself.. I really do not want to spend the 300 million but then again I don't think the right people are in power and need to be replaced.. 300 million compared to wasting a few billion is quite ok with me.. Regardless of whether you approve of the Conservatives or the coalition I think we need a clear mandate and none of this minority bull crap..

Give me a Clear One party Majority in the next round..

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Clear one party majorities are dictatorships. I would prefer if nobody voted so that we send a clear message that we are fed up with their childish BS and will settle for nothing less than a complete redesign of government.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Clear one party majorities are dictatorships. I would prefer if nobody voted so that we send a clear message that we are fed up with their childish BS and will settle for nothing less than a complete redesign of government.

Yeah Cliff- maybe you should run as the Rhinocerus Candidate!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Yeah Cliff- maybe you should run as the Rhinocerus Candidate!

I wish they were still around. Unfortunately, my ticker couldn't hand the excitement. I used to tree plant with the ex-secretary of the Rhinos. Had us in stitches every evening. Lived in a horse trailer. It smelled so bad, I don't think he ever threw the horse puckies out. Just threw his sleeping bag on top.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I wish they were still around. Unfortunately, my ticker couldn't hand the excitement. I used to tree plant with the ex-secretary of the Rhinos. Had us in stitches every evening. Lived in a horse trailer. It smelled so bad, I don't think he ever threw the horse puckies out. Just threw his sleeping bag on top.

yeah, they couldn't be much worse than what we've been getting both federally and provincially. At least they knew they were a joke.

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
I think there will be an election.

Firstly, while a Coalition Government is perfectly legal, the major problem with it is that it is "new." Since our currect GG has no backbone, and was appointed only as eye-candy and window dressing, she won't make the proper decision to allow it proceed. As such, we will be heading to the polls.

The problem is I don't see a majority government resulting out of the next election. While Conservative supporters seem to beleive that enough people are ticked off about the "coalition betrayal," they fail to realize that in the last election, the core voted - and the core didn't change much.

I consider myself a swing voter. I am not aligned with a party. I want a mature, responsible government. However, I can not bring myself to vote for Harper, nor do I see a situation where I can bring myself to vote Conservative so long as Harper leads the party. If there was a different leader in place, I would consider voting Conservative (again).

I think there are many like me out there. As such, I don't see a whole lot changing in seat counts, and it would be a futile gesture. However, I do believe that after the next election, Canadians will come to realize that coalition governments are the ONLY way that this country will move forward (in terms of the political landscape).

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah, but most of us DON'T want a coalition the Bloc is any part of and without the Bloc they are buggered.

Last edited:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Iggy doesn't seem to be nearly as enthusiastic for the coalition as Dion was. I suspect that the Liberals will support the cons until they believe they can win an election on their own merit. With the economy going to shambles and having a somewhat competent leader, the Liberals chances of winning an election are a lot likelier then prior to the parliament prorogue.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC

And then what?

What kind of design are you expecting or wanting? Or do you want those already in government plan it all out?

Then again, if nobody votes, is that actually giving them a clear enough signal?

pegger

Electoral Member
Dec 4, 2008
Cambridge, Ontario
JLM -

Firstly, Minority Governments are coalitions by their very nature. The governing party MUST work with at least one other party in order to further it's agenda.

Also, a "true" coalition involves having members from all parties involved in the coalition hold ministerial positions. As the Bloc has stated it does not want to part of government, and not hold any such positions, they are NOT part of the coalition. They would have the same power as any other party that is not part of the coalition (i.e the Conservatives - or would they now automatically vote against everything the Lib/NDP coalition table? )

Also, the Conservatives have passed budgets and laws BECAUSE of support of the Bloc. In fact, the very first budget they passed, they did it by giving Quebec an extra $3 B a year, because the bloc demanded it. This is no different than if the Libs formed a coalition with the NDP, and bought off the Bloc vote in the same manner.

My issue with the coalition (in the current parliament) is that combined the NDP and Liberals do not have more seats than the Conservatives, so the optics are bad.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah, but most of us DON'T want a coalition the Bloc is any part of and without the Bloc they are buggered.

So what's your proposal, that no candidate can run in an election if he adheres to any among a list of blacklisted beliefs? We could have a field day with that one:

If a potential candidate believes in any of the following, he must be banned from running in an election:

1. rewriting Canada's borders.
2. reducing military spending.
3. introducing a carbon tax.

Well, there you go, that should eliminate all those irresponsible members of the Bloc, the NDP, the Liberal Party and the Green Party from running in an election, and limit it to more responsibly conservative candidates who hold the correct beliefs from which voters can choose without fear of any heterodox beliefs influencing the Parliamentary process.:roll: