A question for leftists in this forum: Am I a red neck?

I'm a self-declared leftist and I would classify the belief system described here as:

• red-neck.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • conservative but not red-neck.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • progressive.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The term red neck is a common term of abuse used among the left to denigrate the right. Based on my understanding of people's use of the term, it implies an ignorant, heartless person whose views on law and order are strongly influcenced by religion though his views on war and economics tend to be driven primarily by nationalism.

Is this in fact correct?

If so, then would I be classified as a red neck according to the left? Some of my views would fall into that category, while others of my views would be progressive enough to make the NDP blush.

As for my more conservative views, I am:

pro-life
pro-capital punishment in some cases
pro-opposite-sex marriage

My economic views are more capitalistic and conservative but not dogmatically so.

As for my more progressive views that would put even the NDP to shame, I'm in favour of:

a decentralized world federation with common citizenship
a world police force to gradually replace national military forces
a common world currency
a universal auxiliary language that is easy to learn by design and common a system of measurements, with all people free to learn the first language of their choice if a school is available.
global free trade
universal compulsory education
freedom of religious belief

So would you classify such a belief system as red-neck or progressive?

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The acid tests!

Is your belt buckle bigger than your head?
Do you go to family reunions to meet girls?
Do you wear shoes just on Sundays when attending tent-revival meeting so you won't be bitten by the snakes??
Do you use "Ya'll" when talking to your hound?
Is your rifle more expensive than your wife's engagement ring?
Do you think Washington is in the "Yankee States of America"?
Do you think Grits are a breakfast cereal?
Can you name three foreign countries? Do you know at least one of their capitals?
Can you chew gum and whistle "Dixie" at the same time?
Did you vote for Harper?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Hmmm... do I have to meet all the requirements, or just some of them?

My head is bigger than my belt-buckle.
I do go to family reunions to meet girls, but not for sex, just to say hi.
I wear boots in winter, not shoes, and I do wear them every time I step out the door.
I don't have hounds.
I have no rifle.
I'm divorced.
I know my geography well enough to meet all the crideria in the quesitons.
I know that a Grit isn't a breakfast cereal.
I can't whistle and chew gum at the same time.
I couldn't vote for Harper last election because he wasn't in my riding and i vote for candidates, not parties.

So I guess that makes me not a red-neck I suppose.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Do you like labels?

Hmmm... I don't care much for labels, and insults generally just roll off my shoulders, but I would be surious to see how others would classify my beliefs. Leftist, rightist? How? Honestly, even I'm not too sure.

Labels to serve the advantage of expressing a complex idea conveniently without having to explain yourself every time.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Actually, I'd be curious to know if others share similar views, with a mixture of very conservative and very progressive ideas. It always seems that it has to come in a package with minimal cross-polination.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
I thought a redneck was a farmer or rancher prone to sun burn (meaning they're probably rural and white).

Last edited: