How much should we cut funding to the arts?

Northboy

Electoral Member
This is an area that I've done a bit of research into.

The Canadian cultural industries have grown and benefitted greatly from the CRTC content rules. This is probably the most effective government action by far, but tax breaks for film production has had an enormous impact on the buidling of the industry.

Under the Liberals some years ago, there was a strategy adopted to make Canada second in the world in English and I believe French language cultural exports. Quite a challenge, but as most of the cost of production is labour(ie. generating FTEs -full time equivalents-), government investment gives us a serious bang for the buck. To my understanding, the Conservatives have not revised this strategy.

The information available is clear, there is a multiplier effect of investment in cultural industry like few others.

Now, I'm not talking about flying bananas or other such nonsense. Those are issues of oversight and if the government of the day is frustrated with the mechanisms of oversight, that's fine with me.

We can also point to the East Coast music scene, Turtle Island, The National film Board. Cirque De soliel (sp?) and numerous artists that have benefitted either directly or indirectly from government programs and cultural support.

I just don't want to see us throw out the baby with the bathwater when the strategy is a sound one.

Reactions: s_lone

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I think there is a very strong case for reducing funding to the arts. the fact is that we should be looking toward diverting funding from luxuries to necessities. Cultural industries are all very well, and sure, perhaps funding these industries gives a good result. We're no longer looking for a good result. a good result is no longer an option. we're looking for the least-worst result. There WILL be a recession (there isn't one in newfoundland yet but there will be, and the same is true for the other provinces and the nation as a whole), and it WILL cause bad things to happen. We need to concentrate on food and drink, not songs and paintings. Having said that, the years to come will probably be much mroe bearable if there are things to improve the nation's morale. Perrhaps we should be looking into making the industries involved more efficient rather than just cutting them.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
In an economic downturn the absolute worse thing a government can do is tighten its belt. Harper might think this is a good idea so he can pick up some cheap stocks down the road but for the absolute mass of Canada it is the worst possible outcome.

Any money that is spent should be done so with the maximum impact in mind. Rather than giving money to those who hoard it (banks, the elite, etc) it should spent exactly on such things as the arts.

Cutting funding to the arts is moronic and retarded at this juncture.

That Harper would promote such inaccuracy and that he is educated enough to know better demonstrates his treacherous nature and disdain for Canada as anything but his personal sandbox and a satellite of the USA.

Last edited:

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
My answer to this is simple....

There shouldn't be any cuts to art funding in this country.

Culture is an important aspect of our society and it is important to preserve our Canadian culture....

Instead of cutting something as important as culture, why not tax the rich more? They are already living in excess enough as it is... Those who make more than 200 000$ a year are on a free ride in a fancy car. It's about time they paid the gas....

Reactions: Scott Free

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
That might just be the exact issue Adriatik! Harper is trying to bring in more draconian copyright law. It would seem reasonable then to think he has also agreed to cut arts funding since, under NAFTA, that would be an unfair subsidy. This might really be about destroying our culture.

Adriatik

Electoral Member
Oct 31, 2008
Montreal
That might just be the exact issue Adriatik! Harper is trying to bring in more draconian copyright law. It would seem reasonable then to think he has also agreed to cut arts funding since, under NAFTA, that would be an unfair subsidy. This might really be about destroying our culture.

Perhaps Harper hates Canadian culture so much that he's deliberately trying to turn all of Canada into Alberta. Who knows? Pretty soon, we'll all be going to the rodeo and listening to country music... YEEE!! HAH!!!

Socrates the Greek

I Remember them....
Apr 15, 2006
Do you pay taxes by chance?
D.D good day, what is that have to do with the topic, first of all, do you pay taxes?
And second I would rather see my tax $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$sssssssssssss go to a peaceful use, concerning Canada, not brown nosing for Canada, and wasting life and doe to prove nothing.....

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Perhaps Harper hates Canadian culture so much that he's deliberately trying to turn all of Canada into Alberta. Who knows? Pretty soon, we'll all be going to the rodeo and listening to country music... YEEE!! HAH!!!
8O

My Friend, you're not say'n much about Western Culture here. That's not nice.
It would be like me say'n Harpers try'n to keep the rest of Canada from passing
cigarettes to their children while sleeping with their own sisters like in Montreal by
cutting the arts funding. I'm not an @rsehole, so I wouldn't say something like that,
but it would be an equivalent statement. Just creating an awareness. Nothing
personal...just like your statement above. 8O:p8O

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We don't spend that much on arts. Something like .2 percent of GDP and less than one percent of government spending. I would say cut out most of the obvious boondoggles but not cuts for the sake of cuts.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I recall a number of years ago that our government bought a painting that looked like a flag and cost us millions. If this is what you free spenders consider culture please fund it yourself. I have better uses for my money. If the culture is any good it will be self supporting. Ever hear of a rock band getting government money? Never happens in the west anyway. Maybe in Quebec. They have a product people are willing to buy. Operas and symphonies on the other hand always seem to have a hand out looking for government money. If there was a real market they would not need help. WIld horses couldn't drag me to either, where as I would pay to go to a rodeo or a stock car race.