Could GG have prevented this crisis?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Is it reasonable to expect that the Governor General should not have sworn in any government before it could prove to have a majority, either by party (which was clearly not the case), or by co-alition?

Had the GG done that, she would have forced the parties from the word go to race for a co-alition. The first party to form a majority co-alition gets in. Had teh GG done that, she might have been able to avert this crisis in my opinion.

Do you think in any future minority situation after an election, the government ought to be awarded to the first alliance capable of forming a majority?

Your thoughts.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is it reasonable to expect that the Governor General should not have sworn in any government before it could prove to have a majority, either by party (which was clearly not the case), or by co-alition?

Had the GG done that, she would have forced the parties from the word go to race for a co-alition. The first party to form a majority co-alition gets in. Had teh GG done that, she might have been able to avert this crisis in my opinion.

Do you think in any future minority situation after an election, the government ought to be awarded to the first alliance capable of forming a majority?

Your thoughts.

What you're proposing could very well become a reality in the not to distant future.
Regardless of how this goat-rodeo pans out, there will be changes, and your
suggestion is a good one.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Machjo,

In my opinion what the coalition is doing is within parliamentary law.

scratch

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
One of the problems is the "absolute" power of the GG. She's actually is not worth the effort (and cost) and has llittle, if any political acumen to decide either way.

It should be an automatic election is a non-confidence measure is passed.

As for coalitions.... It's a "good" idea (not great), but better than a toothless minority gov't