Stuffing the Senate

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Harper has only assigned one new senator in his tenure, and that one was elected by his province. There are now 18 vacancies. Let's start a list of all the wonderful people Stephy will appoint as soon as he gets the keys to 24 Sussex.

1. Elizabeth, I couldn't get elected even if I had big tits and a bag over my head, May

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Jaques, bloody ethnic vote lost me the premiership, Parizeau, for his tireless efforts promoting multi-culturalism.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
How about Harper? It doesn’t look like he will be the PM much longer (even if he prorogues the Parliament). Maybe his last act (just before the non confidence vote) could be to appoint himself to the Senate.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Well Joe,

You seem to be a parliamentary expert.

Could Harper actually do this without opposition?

regs
scratch

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Well Joe,

You seem to be a parliamentary expert.

Could Harper actually do this without opposition?

regs
scratch

First, I am not a Parliamentary expert. But I have lived in Canada and UK, and I know how a Parliamentary system works. Incidentally, I have also lived in USA for seven years, so I am also intimately familiar with the Presidential system. But my knowledge is all from observation, not from reading books.

As to can Harper appoint himself a Senator, I don’t see why not. As the PM, he has the absolute authority to appoint anybody he likes to the Senate. Opposition parties may perhaps complain, protest, but I don’t see why they would do it. After all, if Harper is going to appoint a conservative to the Senate, why not himself? He is no worse than any other conservative.

Sure it would be unusual, but I don’t think it would be unconstitutional, I think Harper does have that right.